Options

T@B 400 vent cover

I would like to install a vent cover over the fantastic fan on my new 400. Florida can get muggy, hot, and rain and I'd hate to lose the breeze from the Fantastic fan from closing the vent because of a storm (which it does a bit here.) I was able to get to the vent on the 320S by stradling the top; one foot on the stepladder and the other leg straddling the roof - not real safe, but I was able to get there without placing full weight on the roof. The 400 is a different animal, one foot wider and taller. 

If anyone has installed a vent cover on the 400, how did you do it? Are these roofs walkable?
North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    robpt said:
    I would like to install a vent cover over the fantastic fan on my new 400. Florida can get muggy, hot, and rain and I'd hate to lose the breeze from the Fantastic fan from closing the vent because of a storm (which it does a bit here.) I was able to get to the vent on the 320S by stradling the top; one foot on the stepladder and the other leg straddling the roof - not real safe, but I was able to get there without placing full weight on the roof. The 400 is a different animal, one foot wider and taller. 

If anyone has installed a vent cover on the 400, how did you do it? Are these roofs walkable?
    Good question. I have not seen one on a 400, yet. It would be a challenge, for sure.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I see scaffolding in your future if nüCamp says the roof is not built for weight bearing. Might even be safer and more solid than the ladder/leg straddle maneuver.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    I see scaffolding in your future

Lol, its starting to sound like one of those famous DIY car projects where you find out that you have to go out and buy a $100 tool to install a $20 part and you'll have no use for that tool again. I already have an Areo Flow vent cover, but I guess I'll wait until I have a chance to poke around in some friend's garage, or I find a tree limb of just the right height to back up underneath  :s

• Options
    gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2018
    Funny you mention, I just received my vent cover from Amazon.  Climbed up on the ladder and uhhh, this looks tricky.  So we just it back in the box lol.  Please share if you find a solution, I'll do the same!
    2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    knoxville1915knoxville1915 Member Posts: 60
    Okay, here’s our story on the vent cover: we had one installed on our first 2017 400. It worked fine, but adds a lot of height that you have to take into consideration. The ventilation was so good even without using the Fantastic Fan that we decided to forego the cover on our 2018 400. It has been a good decision, in my opinion. Here’s a photo of the 2017 with the roof wart:

2018 T@B 400 (Rol@nd) towed by 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (C@lgon)
  • Options

@knoxville1915, yes I see your point, thanks for posting this. That doesn't look like something I want to have with low hanging limbs. After a weekend in my new 400, I can see your point about ventilation. After washing it for the first time and seeing for myself just how inaccessible that part of the roof is, I don't want to have to have a reason to go up there if I can help it. We had our typical 3 hour Spring again this year and are quickly falling into air conditioner weather so I doubt the cover would serve that much purpose.

Wow, you went from a 2017, 400 to a 2018? Do you mind me asking me the difference?

• Options
    @knoxville1915, I just went back and found the thread you had started regarding your experience with the 2017 and getting a replacement 2018. So now I am caught up!  I had worried a little about getting one sight unseen from the dealer I got mine from and had wondered if it was one of the early production models when I had first encountered your earlier thread. First thing I checked was to make sure I didn't have the plastic hinges, which I don't. I also checked the interior after washing with a spray attachment on the hose to see if water got in from the running lights, which there was none. I did goof and leave the bathroom vent open before washing, but all that got wet was the shower floor.