Options

2006 TAB with Norcold 3 way. Questions thanks in advance

Just bought a nice used 06 Tab. How do you work the Refrigerator. Is there any links to older model owner manuals. U pushed in red button is it supposed to click, no noise. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,432
    @FRANK, I have no idea what model 3-ways were used in 2006 T@Bs, but I can tell you the red button in my 2015 does not click when you push it, nor is it supposed to. (Despite it's appearance, it's not an ignitor like on your propane barbecue grill, but rather a manual spring-loaded valve to allow propane to flow to the burner during start up.)

Mine is a Norcold model 3163 3-way. Starting it involves the following. Maybe yours is similar?
    1. Make sure the propane is on at the tank
    2. Turn the temperature dial to "start"
    3. Turn the selector dial to "propane"--this activates the ignitor
    4. Hold the red button down for 15-30 seconds until the green light come on indicating that the burner is lit.
    5. Keep holding the red button down for another 15 seconds to allow the thermocouple to activate
    (If this doesn't work the first time turn the selector switch "off" and wait several minutes before trying again.)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    FRANKFRANK Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your time and answer. This little camper is so nice. I truly love the aluminum skin. It easy to maintain.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @FRANK
    We follow numbers 1,2, and 3 above, then turn on a stove burner to assure the gas is flowing and leave it on before moving to #4 and release the red button slowly when we get the green light.. but that's in our 2015 T@B.
    Judi
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    DptritDptrit Member Posts: 18
    Frank, I have a 2007 Dutchman T@b, I am pretty sure it is same Norcold. There are several discussions here on lighting it, but essentially I have found that you need to be very level. I have a level on the counter above refrigerator. Once level, turn it to max cool, and depress red button. There is a small clicking sound on igniter. You need to hold it for 30 seconds or so once the green Light on the right lights up. Once lit, and it is cool, remember to turn it down from max cool. It seems to take a long time to get cool, but once it does, it will actually freeze things in the refrigerator. 

My kitchen had never really been used since new until I bought it a few months ago. So other than dusty it was basically new. If yours does not ignite and you don’t hear the very soft clicking then maybe you need new igniter? 
    Also it seems like it needs to be on battery power. If on shore power I don’t recall being able to use propane, you just use the electric setting. I may be mistaken on that. Good luck!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,432
    You can still use propane while on shore power. The fridge does require a little 12V power for the electronics, but the T@B converter will provide that.

Of course, I don't know why you would want to use your propane if 120V shore power were available, but that's a different question...  :-)

I've found that lighting the fridge on propane is a little more challenging than my basic summary above implied. There seems to be a little magic involved, and I am absolutely certain that darn thing can sense your frustration level. The tips others have provided about running the stove first, leveling the camper carefully, etc. are all good advice!  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    FRANKFRANK Member Posts: 9
    Thanks everyone followed the advice and no problem. Was fairly cold in an hour. Working great and really love this camper. Heading down into the Everglades for a weekend dry camp. The wife is a Ranger there so we are breaking it in on her park. Many adventures await our new toy. We practiced setting up the tent, truly sweet. Again thanks to all hope to bump into some of you out in the parks.