Options

refrigerator

Hi!  So I just bought a 2008 T@B.  The refrigerator is 110v only.  I would like to replace it with one that could also run on propane as we are far more likely to camp without electricity available.  Has anyone done this or have any comments?  

Thanks!
Julia, Athens, GA 2008 Silver / Yellow t@b Silver Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    Julia, from what I understand, they are pretty pricey. You knight want to consider an ARB 12v that has a very low power draw and can easily be run off of solar. A lot of people go that route. You can also put it in your TV and run it off of existing 12v.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We just bought the small Yeti cooler on sale ($$$ to $$), and used it once for a short weekend trip.  It certainly didn't hurt to per-chill it with snow, but it held lunch and snacks cold for  days with a large baggy of ice...that never even melted.  We may use it with dry ice to supplement our 6day Coleman and the T@B fridge...time to get out and do some camping!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited March 2015
    I do a great deal of boondocking/dispersed camping and very rarely have an electrical hookup.  As a matter of fact, my trailer hasn't been plugged in for about 18 months.  I have installed 300w of solar and am glad to have the 110 version of the refridge because I can use it indefinitely via solar/battery.  The 3-way (propane) fridge uses much more electricity when in 12v mode.  Jenn also makes a good point about the ARB.  I also have an ARB that I keep in my tow vehicle, which also runs off of my battery and solar set up.  It is very efficient.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    I have used those Yeti coolers and they are bomb-proof! I had one that was too big for my needs so I sold it, but would like to get a smaller one someday. The Tundra series can also be made bear-proof with a lock.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    julygirljulygirl Member Posts: 5
    I guess I need to learn more about the solar options.  I was planning on adding solar... if nothing else to run lights and fan.  Jenn, I have been looking at the ARB coolers.  In the 2008 t@b that I have, none of the 110v will work unless connected to power.  Lisa,  I guess there must be a way be able to fix that so I could run it of the 12v batteries.   We have 2 excellent coolers, not yeti but almost as good.  We will be on the road for about 4 1/2 weeks, so I was just looking for a way to keep a few things always cold... 1/2 - 1/2, butter, mayo.  Thanks for all the suggestions! 
    Still learning,
    Julia
  • Options

The ARB fridges can run either 12v or 110.  http://www.amazon.com/ARB-10800472-Fridge-Freezer-Quart/dp/B002Q1INDM

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Be careful with that dry ice. I have used it some and found it hard to work with. It has frozen my cooler into a solid block.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Judygirl, have you researched the model you have?  It seems odd that it wouldn't be a 12/110 volt version.  What make and model is it?
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    John, I based my question on what the previous owner told me - that it only ran on 110v.  After reading your comment, I took a look at the book, which sure enough said 12/24 volt.  I turned it on with just battery power and the power light lit up! Thanks so much! Now I just need to solve a fuse problem and decide on solar options!

• Options
    Julia, it is to be expected that the 110 outlets will only work when connected to shore power, so that is normal.  However, your Norcold refridge should work on battery power.  You might consider picking up a Renogy 100w portable solar panel setup to start.  
  • Options
    As a part of your solar set up you may want to consider your battery capacity in amp hours.  I suggest 2 6v golf cart batteries wired in series.  You should strive for 210-230 AH.  As far as solar, your first decision is portable or fixed to the roof.  There are pros and con's of each.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    BTW, I purchased 2 100 watt Renogy flexible panels for my portable setup.  I have not done anything with them yet but will be now that winter is releasing its grip.  Within a month I should be able to give an opinion.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    John, I have been looking at the  renogy 100 watt suitcase.  I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you.

• Options
    BWidgetBWidget Member Posts: 35
    I also purchased the Renogy 100. It is sitting in my living room waiting for my T@B to arrive.
    Bill from Los Angeles Arizona
    2015 T@B S Maxx Outback
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    How does one run the ARB off of solar?
  • Options
    gooselady said:
    How does one run the ARB off of solar?
    Solar charges the 12v battery on the T@b.

• Options
    Got that but I thought the ARB ran off of the TV battery per above comments.
  • Options
    gooselady said:
    Got that but I thought the ARB ran off of the TV battery per above comments.

Well, if using in TV, no need for solar.

• Options
    I plug my ARB into the tow vehicle while driving, but I plug it into the trailer via a 12v extension cord when we are in a campsite.  I have solar (three 100-watt panels with two 6v batteries) which keeps both refrigerators running.  
  • Options
    Thank you for that clarification.