Options

Intelli-Hitch Experiences?

Hi there, first time posting!  We are looking to purchase a T@B 320 S Boondock in the near future and will be towing it with a 2017 GMC Terrain, however the Terrain does not have any braking systems installed in it and we would either have to look for an RF brake controller or we are also considering the Intelli-Hitch: http://intelli-hitch.com/.  We are wondering if anyone has any experience using the latter as we are trying to avoid dealing with any wiring in the vehicle (outside of a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter).  Also, any experience towing with a 2017 GMC Terrain?  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    We have a RF controller if you need info.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DINDAnLANDINDAnLAN Member Posts: 75
    @honeydolistcampers, This is the first I've seen of this product but it appears you still need a fully wired 7 pin plug. I don't think the 4 to 7 pin adapter will work. I just skimmed the info so I may have missed something.
    Linda & Dan
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2018 Ford F150 XLT pulling a 2020 T@B 400
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • Options
    Yes, you still need to wire a charge line.
  • Options
    honeydolistcampershoneydolistcampers Member Posts: 2
    I have sent an email to the manufacturer to confirm the answer for the 7-pin connector. 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @honeydolistcampers, don't know anything about the product you listed. Use a Prodigy RF, and love it. But welcome to the forum. Keep us updated when you order/purchase a trailer. Then I will congratulate you on your trailer and also welcome you to the t@b family as it seems you're on your way. Absolutely love your member name/ID!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Awful pricy, especially if you have to pay to have a 7pin installed anyway. I’d just have the same mechanic wire a regular brake controller and call it done. Then spend less on the receiver you’ll need as well...IMHO.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Unless you have a tow package on your TV, you still need a charge line to charge the battery, run the frig in route, etc.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    @honeydolistcampers
    I agree with @DAIDAnLAN and @SAM that you will need to install a 7-Pin connector making sure that Reverse and 12VDC Aux pins are functional.  Intelli-Hitch needs the 12VDC to power it's logic and to activate the T@B brakes while the reverse signal is used by the Intelli-Hitch to correctly control the T@B brakes while backing up.

The only thing Intelli-Hitch is saving you from installing is the aftermarket proportional electric brake controller box near the driver seat.

Also, the Intelli-Hitch User Reference Page notes that Intelli-Hitch cannot be used with anti-sway bars or weight distribution hitches.  Most T@B owners don't use sway bars while many do use weight distribution hitches . . . are you sure you won't want one of those two features?

You did not say if your Terrain already has a 4-pin trailer connector and 2-inch receiver . . . . installation of a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter with Reverse and 12VDC is slightly less complex than installing a 7-pin without the factory installed 4-pin.

If you have the factory 4-pin would guess . . . . Even with paid installers good chance a standard aftermarket Brake Controller + 7-pin (with reverse and 12VDC) will be less expensive than the Intelli-Hitch + 7-pin (with reverse and 12VDC)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We have a 2016 Terrain w V6.  Works well as TV...went all the way to Alaska from Washington State without any problems.  When purchased our Terrain had no 7 or 4 pin connector for lights. 

After installing a 2 inch receiver from E-Trailer, which was relatively straight forward, I completed the necessary wiring modifications. 

1)  I installed a 7 pin connector from E-Trailer, and ran a 10 gauge wire up to battery with an  added circuit breaker so trailer had power.  E-Trailer, hitch installer or T@B dealer will help you figure out what you need....with prices increasing accordingly if you don't do the work.
    2)  The 7 pin also has to have tail/turn/brake signals from tail lights. I got a powered unit, again from E-Trailer, which also required a 10 or 12 gauge power wire running from the battery w/ added circuit breaker.  This worked well also though I spent so much time under vehicle zip-tying wires my back, shoulder blades, etc., were all sore.  
    3)  My intent was to use the Tekonsha Prodigy RF break controller so I could AVOID having to install anything under dash and/or splice into any under-dash wires.  Also avoids need to run "brake" wire to 7 pin connector.  Prodigy, mounted on side of trailer frame near front,  may get "brakes on" signal from initial deceleration of tow vehicle though E-Trailer guy told me initial signal from brakes lights.  Either way, the T@B brakes are then applied and as you brake harder more brakes applied in T@B due to accelerometer/decelerometer in Prodigy system.   It works very well and of course has adjustments and a complete installation/instruction manual. 

Good luck. 
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Be sure that, whoever installs the wiring, the 12V power and ground wires should be large gauge, #10 or even #8, to be able to keep up with the high current draw of the three-way fridge, or to charge a low Tab battery.
    It seems that often an installer will skimp on that, and install light gauge wiring.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    GeonTracieGeonTracie Member Posts: 27
    I installed the autowbrake. No controller in the tv, and wired straight into the junction box. Took about 15 minutes to install and 2 to calibrate. Works great and driving space saved.

2018 T@B Outback
    2016 Jeep JKU TV
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    With all this discussion of “remote” devices, how does one apply just trailer brake in the event that it is required? Having the brake controller in the cab(next to your knee) allows for this.  Why would you want to apply just trailer brake? 1) stops speed wobble should it occur 2) gentle use on long down hills helps save TV brakes...imho.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    There is an 'in cab' handheld 'remote' controller for the Prodigy RF system.  Plugs into cigarette like auxiliary power port for power.
    Besides an adjustment for for power applied during a braking event there is a 'boost' button if you want even more trailer braking during an event.  Prodigy suggests you might want to use the boost button when you want trailer brakes on prior to tow vehicle brakes(icy, slippery conditions).   Your examples are also appropriate.
    Here is link to Prodigy Manual.   http://www.hitchpro.com/Application/support/instructions/N90250.pdf
    Might want to take a look at it.  

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    I think I recall that the”Boost” feature on the Prodigy RF unit is not appropriate for trailers the weight of our Tab 320.
  • Options
    GeonTracieGeonTracie Member Posts: 27
    The autowbrake has a key fob that allows brake activation by itself. Take out the wobble without using tv brake.

2018 T@B Outback
    2016 Jeep JKU TV