Options

Greetings from NYC

Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173

Hello!  I’ve been following the Forum for a few months now (often several times a day!) and finally decided I needed to sign up, now that the wife and I are sold on the idea of a T@B.  We, like many of you here, have been tent campers for years but are ready for something that will offer more convenience and comfort so that we can really get out and see some the great places we know and others we’ve learned about from this Forum.

Unfortunately, we are still a couple of steps away from becoming full-fledged T@Bbers. Our current vehicle is a 2015 Subaru Forester (6sp) which we really love but, in all practicality, should not be towing a T@B.  Our initial searches for lightweight campers came up with a few possibilities but in the end we were looking for a slightly higher comfort level and wanted something hard-sided.  We’ve always been a little partial to teardrops but I didn’t really want something I couldn’t even stand up in and always had to cook outside.  The 320S seemed to hit all the boxes on the checklist.  And once I found the Forum it seemed like we made the right choice.

So Step 1 is to get a proper TV and there are so many choices out there among all the SUVs, pickups, etc.  The various discussions on TVs here have been very helpful.  I saw the new Subaru Ascent at the NY Auto Show and it looks great.  But while Subaru generally tends to get it right, I’m a little leery of taking a chance on a first-year model.

Step 2, of course, is getting a T@B.  We’re in Queens, NY and there are no dealers less than 2 hours away from the NYC metro area that I’ve found.  We finally got to kick the tires on a 320 at the Allentown RV Show and I located two dealers in PA which are possibilities; there may be one up in CT as well as the For Sale listings here.

So that’s our intro.  I will post as things progress or if I have any questions and I hope it’s ok to throw in a comment here and there, even if we’re not yet “bona fide.”  Thanks.

Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
2019 Subaru Ascent Premium

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Travelin3D, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the intro. Sounds like you've developed a plan. Good luck, and keep in touch. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome @Travelin3D! Looking for a TV and your T@B is just the first little bit of fun, so much more awaits! Some of us have had our teardrops for years and haven’t collected many bona fides, but feel totally comfortable throwing in our perspectives. It’s all valuable. When you want to save threads for information you might want to refer later, you can tap the star at the right side of the title, but if you’re like us, you might want to print off some of them. People set up notebooks of references! Again, can’t wait to hear from you as your story progresses.
    Judi
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,500
    Welcome to the Tab family @Travelin3D! We traded a 2015 Subaru Outback 4 cyl for a 2015 Toyota Highlander 6cyl after we ordered our Tab 320S. I miss the Subaru, but love towing with the Highlander, and love the roominess inside for extra storage of things that don't need to travel in the Tab. Sounds like you've got a good plan, and I hope it goes quickly for you!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    CherylinDallasCherylinDallas Member Posts: 21
    Hello New Yorkers.

I hope all of your plans will come to pass soon so you can Get Out There And See The Country.  It sounds like you are heading in the right direction.  As far as finding T@Bs at local dealers, well, everyone has the problem of traveling long distances to adopt their new baby.  It sounds like your experience is par for the T@B course.

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    @Tavelin3D Welcome to the forum & once you have your TV & T@B Head West !

While born in the east my family moved west when I was very young.  Have only been east while in the service.  Tech School was on Governors Island in the 70's.

Many outings to Manhattan (loved the subways).  Remember being in a Times Square bar talking to a very NY person.  He said he had only left NYC during military service in WWII.  His goal in life was to take his family west,  I said that's great were do you plan to go . . . his reply was Chicago
    Hope you get to see the real west . . . it starts around the Rocky Mountains.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited April 2018
    Hello Richie and Mickie, welcome to the forum. We purchased our 2018 320S from Juniata Valley RV in Mifflintown PA. It was well worth the 300 mile trip from Huntington. And although our 2015 Subaru Outback is rated to tow 2700 pounds I wasn’t comfortable pulling the T@B long distances. My choice was a new Ridgeline that gives me a larger capacity margin. Fully loaded with spare mounted on the tongue and a tongue mounted bike rack, my tongue weight is just under 300 pounds. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    Thanks, all, for the welcome. I've already learned lots from the Forum and expect that will continue.
    @MuttonChops, heading West will certainly be in our plans.
    @rcuomo, I came across Juniata RV recently (maybe from one of your posts?) and have them bookmarked. Good to know you had a good experience there. The other dealer is Miller's in Perkasie, PA. They're not too far past Philly and we had some brief contact with them at Allentown.
  • Options
    xboooooxbooooo Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2018
    I found Miller's willing to go the extra mile to pick up our T@B in time to start our vacation and make sure everything was working properly before we left. They even offered free winterization at the end of the season. They are very customer focused. 
  • Options
    Yes, we spent some time talking to Patsy Miller. They seem like nice folks. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I would second the recommendation for Millers. I bought from Juniata and if I were buying, again, I would go to Millers or Hadocey in Columbus (I live in Pittsburgh.) 

As an FYI, for future reference, you cannot tow on the Taconic.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Good to know (on both points). Taconic is one of my favorite roads and we usually take it on our way to the Adirondacks, but there are sections that could get dicey towing a T@B - or anything for that matter.