My wife discovered a way to route our backup camera wire

splatmattsplatmatt Member Posts: 28
edited May 2018 in Tips & Tricks
On the utility side (port side) of the trailer there is a aluminum channel which runs along the contour of the roof.  We pulled out the flexible black insert and ran the cable inside the channel.  The clarion backup camera we are using has a micro 4 pin connection which allowed us to use the channel; bulkier RCA connectors will not work.

*edited to insert smaller picture size
Previous: 2018 T@B 320 S (Sprout)
Current:  2020 Airstream Bambi 20FB (Pearl)
TV: 2019 Chevy Silverado (Rhubarb "Rhuby" 1500)

Comments

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Clever.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @splatmatt, that channel is a keder rail. Some people put additional awnings or visors into the rails to increase shade or shielded areas around their trailers, but if this works for you, go for it!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • splatmattsplatmatt Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2018
    @splatmatt, that channel is a keder rail. Some people put additional awnings or visors into the rails to increase shade or shielded areas around their trailers, but if this works for you, go for it!
    Good to know the actual name; I did run the cable the port side "keder rail" thinking it would be unlikely we would use it for a visor.  Do many use a visor for the port side?

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Some people place a visor or awning on the driver side for shielding the window from the sun or for storage of gear.  Not used as often as the passenger side.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    You could also pull the handle cover and run the wire behind it and screew it back on.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • splatmattsplatmatt Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2018
    Luckyj said:
    You could also pull the handle cover and run the wire behind it and screew it back on.
    What is the handle cover? Ah never-mind.  Yeah, the pictures were not the finished install.  I was just showing how we ran the wire from the back to the front inside the keder rail.

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Z_GZ_G Member Posts: 38
    Some people go with awnings on both sides to give the dumbo effect
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Splatmatt,  tell your wife, great idea.  Sometimes those ideas have been discussed, but can be hard to find.  She came up with it on her own...  I say,  keep her!  Grin!
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• linolino Member Posts: 224
    Depending on where we stay we will at times need set the awning up on drivers side. Good to have the option.
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    I ran the overhead wiring on my T@G (I have offroad lights, camera and antenna on the roofrack) under the vinyl covers as you show (variation on a theme) but discovered that the stock hex-head screw heads will push the wires up into contact with the vinyl strip, causing it to crack.  I solved that by replacing the stock hex-head screws with flat-head wood screws, #10 (or #8? Don't remember...) with a length of 1 inch.  Problem solved.  Don't forget to dab a bit of caulk on the hole.  I use plumbers putty instead of caulk as it never hardens and doesn't break down with heat/cold cycles.

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.