Replace jack wheel with a jack foot/plate?

justwoodjustwood Member Posts: 13
I have a 2015 T@B U Max and it has a Jack Wheel and moves around more than I am comfortable with.  I would like to replace the jack wheel with a jack foot/plate (not sure of the proper term).  Can some one recommend one that will work good and not rust in one season that will fit the stock jack?

Comments

• JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Camping World sells one, in fact it is on sale right now for less than $9.00. It has 5, 5 star ratings and good up to 2000lbs. Look on their web site for it. Item #18017.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • justwoodjustwood Member Posts: 13
    Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.  I found the same item on amazon.com a few cents cheaper after shipping.
  • SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    Is it okay to leave the jack foot on while driving?  
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Seaduster said:
    Is it okay to leave the jack foot on while driving?  
    We do. It reduces the ground clearance at that point by maybe an eighth of an inch.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    The big advantage that caused us to install a "jack plate" was that when leveling the camper in uneven sites we found that with the wheel sometimes you could not lower the front of the camper far enough. You gain a few inches in lowering with the plate. In the reverse situation where you need the height, I carry a few short 1" boards to put under the plate to gain height back.

While you lose easy movement by using it instead of a wheel, the T@B is light enough that two people can grab the handles and move it in most hitching situations. Also, as Photomom mentioned, you can leave it installed while traveling and lose very little ground clearance and avoid the hassle of removing/installing the wheel unit at every camp setup. 

Fergie

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I will not talk about the good and the bad of wheel/vs foot plate, it is a personnal preference.

but curious, when you say it moves a lot,mdo you used wheel chuck, 4 of them?
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 270
    We have both. We keep them in the tongue box. We use whichever works best for the site but the wheel gets more use than the foot. 
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    We travel wih our wheel in place.  We have the removable jack post that can come off as needed if we are unable to clear our rear van door.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We just got a footplate & think it might be more useful to us leaving it on all the time instead of having to carry a separate piece of wood or the wheel.  Can't say we've ever used the wheel, but will carry it in case we need it..
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I use the wheel...tow with it off, set the trailer without it on(LEGO or piece of wood under). This way, if I need to roll it, I have it, otherwise, nice & stable while in camp...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Jack foot is great! Much lighter than wheel. Can leave it on all the time. T@B is light enough that you can still maneuver the tongue by hand. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN