Options

Upper cupboard spring loaded hinge replacement to keep doors in open position

13»

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Just dropped one hinge per door and was amazed. One of those super easy projects with great results. Many thanks to all of you who led the way. 
    After installing them, I sometimes forgot I did not have to hold the doors up anymore.  Then, I would remember, like "oh yeah, this is awesome."
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    LisaHLisaH Member Posts: 29
    Hello - I replaced the hinges and while I no longer have fear that I will hit my head (at least not as often), now I'm afraid the cabinet face won't stay shut during transit. The tension to keep the cabinet closed doesn't seem as strong as it was before. Has anyone come across this issue? Wondering if I need to install a lid stay thingy (is that what it's called?). Thanks for this mod! I hit my forehead about 3 times in our first two outings!
    2018 T@b 320S Boondock, towed by 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
  • Options
    LisaHLisaH Member Posts: 29
    I went through and reread this thread from the beginning and see others asked the same question. I'll see what happens on our next trip out. 
    2018 T@b 320S Boondock, towed by 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @LisaH, I too had the same concerns about the reduced spring and stuff falling out. So far, so good. I've been on two close-to-home trips. I started with one front cabinet. I used two hinges even though one is apparently enough. Then I tried replacing the hinges on one of the back cabinets because they don't open far either. No issues with anything falling out and it was nice to have the cabinet door open higher to see into the cabinet easier. I now have more hinges on order to finish the job.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    With only one hinge per door changed,  after two or three trips, we have not had any issues with opening in transit. We only keep clothes and toiletries in those cabinets. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @LisaH, I changed those hinges over a year ago, and have yet to have an issue with any of them opening during transit. I only replaced one per cabinet as well. Been on some fairly rough/bouncy roads, and everything stays closed as it should.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    My very first mod!  One new spring loaded hinge per door.  Easy peasy.  Works great.  Thanks for the Amazon link and info.
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA