controller for brakes

PapaPapa Member Posts: 27
my t@b has a requirement of abrake controller.
california law for this weight trailer.
im new to this technology
any comments on its usefullness.
thanks

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    There is a ton of information on brake controllers here on the forum.  Use the search function above and it will bring in a wealth of information.   There is a great wireless brake controller out there that you can mount to the trailer frame and is one that I used personally and loved, the Tekonsha Prodigy controller.  It is a great unit, I know there is information and photos available on the forum and you should be able to easily locate it via the search function above.

Goid luck!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Papa, different states have different requirements for brakes based on weight.  You must have a brake controller in your TV when your trailer has electric brakes.  Either wired or wireless RF.  https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-brakes-controllers

Have you had a charge line placed yet?  If not, and you elect to have a wired brake controller, you can place them at the same time.  You need to figure out which controller you want before the install.  Etrailer is helpful.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Papa what is your tow vehical? It may have one built in from the factory. You may in the least have the wiring harness partially installed from the factory to a 4 or 7 pin trailer connector in the rear.  Once determined, and if a controller is necessary, take the unit and your truck to a good mechanic. They’ll know what to do with it.  But for your FYI, you’ll need battery to the trailer for brakes AND battery charging.  These functions are accounted for in a 7 pin wire harness, and your t@b has these wired for. Your truck needs to match.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback