Options

Custom Add-Ons to the T@B 400

I know that many of you have collaborated with the factory on custom add-ons for your new trailers.  I'd be very interested in hearing what modifications you have added.

I'm also curious as to how you are using the 1500 watt inverter when boondocking and any tips you have therein.  I know that the microwave oven is an option and am wondering if any of you have had a dedicated circuit run from the inverter to power up this unit?  It seems if this were possible (powering it via the inverter only), the microwave oven could be used conveniently when boondocking and also when on shore power since the unit would be pulling power from the battery and charging via shore power?  

Thoughts and recommendations?  
Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I know that many of you have collaborated with the factory on custom add-ons for your new trailers.  I'd be very interested in hearing what modifications you have added.

I'm also curious as to how you are using the 1500 watt inverter when boondocking and any tips you have therein.  I know that the microwave oven is an option and am wondering if any of you have had a dedicated circuit run from the inverter to power up this unit?  It seems if this were possible (powering it via the inverter only), the microwave oven could be used conveniently when boondocking and also when on shore power since the unit would be pulling power from the battery and charging via shore power?  

The larger your power draw, the faster you deplete the battery and ultimately will shorten the battery life. I am not saying it shouldn't be done, just throwing that out as the caveat. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    jkjenn said:

The larger your power draw, the faster you deplete the battery and ultimately will shorten the battery life. I am not saying it shouldn't be done, just throwing that out as the caveat. 
    I'm aware of that.  I have a 2000 watt inverter/charger in a trailer on a site down in SW Arizona.  If you're only using it for 2-3 minute intervals things are fine.  We've also got a forum member who uses his inverter solely for his microwave use.  It just limits the use of a microwave and isn't as practical if used solely on shore power.  
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    jkjenn said:

I'm aware of that.  I have a 2000 watt inverter/charger in a trailer on a site down in SW Arizona.  If you're only using it for 2-3 minute intervals things are fine.  We've also got a forum member who uses his inverter solely for his microwave use.  It just limits the use of a microwave and isn't as practical if used solely on shore power.  
    Cool. I assumed you knew about that and I knew about @Tabaz but wanted to make sure newer folks we were aware. I could see where it would be worth a little extra wear and tear. Essentially, we should still be getting a lot of batter life out of these things. I think the wear and tear on the 400 battery would be even a little less as they are going with AGM batteries.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    True...  So am curious how others out there with the 400's are using the inverter and if anyone uses the microwave oven while boondocking and what other modifications or add-ones you have employed and like over others on the trailer?  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    As a side note, for those not aware of this. Since March 1, 2018, nüCamp has been installing two 6V AGM batteries, instead of the one 12V AGM batteries. I’m sure the young backs of those on the production floor really appreciate only having to lift 60 to 70 lbs at a time, rather than over 130 lbs in one battery ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Verna I thought the dealer installed the battery. Did that change with the 400?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Good question, @jgram2. The specs on the T@B 400 say that after Feb 2018, there will be two 6V batteries. Somehow, I think that since they require specific specifications for the batteries on the 400, there is a chance the factory does install these batteries.

I should have an answer before the end of the week, I think. The factory will be on vacation next week, July 4th week. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Kevin@7Kevin@7 Member Posts: 66
    According to my RV dealer they said the factory installed the battery and I bought my 400 in April of this year.  Probably because it's inside the cabin and you can't just put any battery there.  Has to be AGM due to outgassing on the unsealed lead acid.  Many RV dealers would try and install the cheapest they can find which is definitely not AGM. 
    2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk
    2018 T@B 400 (white w/ red trim)