Options

Our bed is the cs 70x58. We like a foam pad on top.

PapaPapa Member Posts: 27
What is a good way to manage a foam pad knowing we want to unmake the bed in the morning 
and use our seats and table. Any ideas

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    The DM clamshells (and some other models) had split cushions - 4 pieces each side.  This allows us to leave the rear half set as the bed and only switch the front pair when we want seating at a table.  This is very convenient and provides a place to roll and store the mattress pad, pillows and bedding when the table is up.   The switch only takes about a minute.

• Options
    MikeLnRBMikeLnRB Member Posts: 6
    We have a 2014 T@B CS and are are also looking to make changes in the bedding department.

1st - We'd like to be able to convert part of the bed to seating, yet leave part as a bed.  If we could get split cushions made for the backrest cushions (the 14") cushions,  we could easily remove 2 of the 4.  Ideally the split would be 60/40, so say 33" and 25"  so we could have either a larger table space or a larger bed space.  The bench cushions can remain full length (58").  Does NuCamp offer split backrest cushions or alterations?

2nd - We would like to get toppers (as others have suggested), but we'd need to be able to be cut to size to match our split cushions or have them custom made.

Any advice?

Mike & Leesa
    Queensbury, NY
    2014 T@B CS

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited June 2018
    I believe that nuCamp no longer splits cushions with new Tab orders, not sure about alterations.  I plan to purchase foam and have slipcovers made by a local seamstress for this same purpose.  

Search “Custom mattress pad” and you will find lots of suggestions.  Owners seem to report that the latex foam toppers are heavy and hot.  Many use memory foam toppers.  They make really nice natural fabric toppers.  Check out Mattressinsider.com.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Papa, now that I know you have a CS, here is what we do.  We made a sheet duvet and sandwiched a heavy mattress pad - not a foam topper- between the layers.  With the firmness of the cushions, it is just enough padding to not feel any cushion seams.  We cover with an additional duvet.  If we need to use the table, we stack the bed slats across the rear, then place the bedding on the rear bench cushions.  The mattress pad/ sheet combo folds up easily.  We typically leave the Lagun table mounted outside and use a small, collapsible table if necessary.  The stacked slats also make a nice shelf for coffee.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    SAM said:
    I believe that nuCamp no longer splits cushions with new Tab orders, not sure about alterations.  I plan to purchase foam and have slipcovers made by a local seamstress for this same purpose.  

Search “Custom mattress pad” and you will find lots of suggestions.  Owners seem to report that the latex foam toppers are heavy and hot.  Many use memory foam toppers.  They make really nice natural fabric toppers.  Check out Mattressinsider.com.
    I'm pretty sure that you can order split cushions for a CS from NuCamp. I asked Elsie for a quote within the last year. I thought that the cost was pretty reasonable but I haven't gotten around to it. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I will try to call and find out.  Do they do custom fabrics? @Marceline, I did not think Elsie was involved with new orders.  So, will they prepare separate split cushions for a mod?
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    The split cushions are key to how we use our CS.   I was really surprised to see that it was no longer a standard feature.
    For us, the rear half is never set up as seats.  It is where we roll the mattress topper with all the bedding and pillows when we want a table.  Then we have the front half of the benches for seating either side of the table.  (We still use the original folding table)  It also allows us to lounge lengthwise using the big bedding roll as a backrest with the table along side and a reading lamp  behind each of us.  
    To make up the bed all we need to do is drop the table down and slide the two sets of front cushions together.  Then unroll the topper, bedding still in place and set the pillows back against the door side wall - beds made!  Literally two or three minutes in either direction.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    SAM said:
    I will try to call and find out.  Do they do custom fabrics? @Marceline, I did not think Elsie was involved with new orders.  So, will they prepare separate split cushions for a mod?
    I have a 2013 CS-S. I always contact Elsie for parts. I figured that replacement cushions counted as "parts."
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MikeLnRBMikeLnRB Member Posts: 6
    rfuss928 said:
    The split cushions are key to how we use our CS.   I was really surprised to see that it was no longer a standard feature.
    For us, the rear half is never set up as seats.  It is where we roll the mattress topper with all the bedding and pillows when we want a table.  Then we have the front half of the benches for seating either side of the table.  (We still use the original folding table)  It also allows us to lounge lengthwise using the big bedding roll as a backrest with the table along side and a reading lamp  behind each of us.  
    To make up the bed all we need to do is drop the table down and slide the two sets of front cushions together.  Then unroll the topper, bedding still in place and set the pillows back against the door side wall - beds made!  Literally two or three minutes in either direction.

That is exactly what we want to do!  Thx for describing the process.  How do we contact Elsie to see if the split cushion alteration (or split cushion purchase) is an option thru Nucamp? 
  • Options
    PapaPapa Member Posts: 27
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Search thread “Custom fabric and cushion info”

• Options
    So, I just discovered that a queen size sofa bed mattress cover is 60 x 72, full is 54 x 72.  Queen is a near perfect fit!