Options

Gravel Damage

T@b Outback: first backroad trip and noticed that gravel was damaging the trailer skin ABOVE the aluminum diamond plate and below the window.  Tow vehicle has large front/rear mud flaps but oversize all terrain tires.  Have now purchased some of the same aluminum diamond plate use by factory and affixed to the area exposed to kicked up rocks.  Hope this works. (Driving slower too.)  The aluminum rack on the front is sure taking a heck of a  beating.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    This is why I started this earlier discussion for the very reason you mention above.  I'm convinced that some type of covering or front bra would be beneficial to trailer owners in providing protection for the front skin of the trailers.  The front of the trailer and even the fenders take a beating from road grit, stones and any other debris that is kicked up along expressways, gavel roads, back country travel, etc.   

In my opinion the diamond plate covers are okay, but there just isn't enough coverage to protect the front side of any trailer and damage is going to take place unless an alternative is found to help minimize paint chips from stones, gravel, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    I googled stone guard for tiny campers and got a host of ideas from https://www.google.com/search?q=stone+guard+for+tiny+campers&es_sm=122&biw=920&bih=754&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Wj8lVbCoFomGsAXj44D4BQ&ved=0CB0QsAQ#imgrc=_ There may be one to fit your application.
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
  • Options
    stinkbugstinkbug Member Posts: 19
    @Michigan Mike,  This problem of damage from tow vehicles happens to all trailers.  My utility trailer for hauling ATV is pelted with every use and running lights and fenders have required my installation of various methods of protection.  It is likely the most effective protection would be something attached to the rear bumper of the tow vehicle that extends nearly to the ground.  Commonly seen on motor homes towing cars.  I'll likely end up with that.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Interesting, as I got mine on Navajo land. 
  • Options
    Sandra said:
    I have some small chips above the Diamond Plate - but I proudly point to them and say I got these on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation when I visited Wounded Knee.in South Dakota.
    I've been there (always wanted to visit the site) and it is a sad, solemn place for sure.  You can definitely feel the pain in that location and the cemetery bears witness to it.  It is just south and west of the Badlands region for anyone traveling out that way.  
  • Options

stinkbug said:
    @Michigan Mike,  This problem of damage from tow vehicles happens to all trailers.  My utility trailer for hauling ATV is pelted with every use and running lights and fenders have required my installation of various methods of protection.  It is likely the most effective protection would be something attached to the rear bumper of the tow vehicle that extends nearly to the ground.  Commonly seen on motor homes towing cars.  I'll likely end up with that.
    I don't need any additional add-on's other than maybe a cover over the front of the trailer for long distance hauls.  The issue here isn't just gravel or debris kicked up by your vehicle, but those traveling by also kick up debris and this is how I believe my stargazer window was broken out near Helena, MT about three years ago.  I'll figure something out and no doubt will end up with a custom bra style cover done locally and with a pocket sewn in for a protective cover for the stargazer.  
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Sandra said:
    I have some small chips above the Diamond Plate - but I proudly point to them and say I got these on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation when I visited Wounded Knee.in South Dakota.
    Wounded Knee, I visited Custer's Big Horn battlefield and Wounded Knee both in the same day on a motorcycle trip a few years ago.  It was not difficult to see which side won the "Indian" wars.  Very moving and sad experience.

Sorry for the hijack
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Most of my Knicks and bruises are from on coming traffic - two broken windshields in two months on the TV. I'm usually not going fast enough on the boondock gravel roads to kick stuff up too hard.
  • Options
    I was wondering about the vulnerability of that front window.  Will likely no be on my mind every inch of every rock strewn road driven.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I enjoy those little tidbit story nuggets as I love the area and it was fun exploring.  I drove through the Badlands, took back roads and ended up on an Indian farm.  Plenty of wild animals along the way and did end up in Rapid City....  Without any stone chips, but had a nail stuck in the tire that I repaired in a car wash bay in town!   :)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have a small puncture on my rear bumper on my Jeep from getting rammed from behind during a bison traffic jam in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. These things create memories.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    geromogeromo Member Posts: 33
    I have used a product from 3-M. Its a clear heavy duty anti-abrasion strip that you apply directly on to the area you want. I had a small camper just like  the silver shadow with no protection on the front except the tool box and it did very well. Check the 3-M website. We used it in the military.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    I use a Rock Solid gravel guard mounted to the hitch receiver.  Makes hooking up more difficult and two of the flaps have melted by the exhaust but seems to work.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    The tear drop shop now sells a shield for the stargazer windows (just received an email about it) and they responded to me that they are also currently looking into making something similar for the T@B windows.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options