Options

Newbie question

I just purchased a 2016 320 S. The dealer did a walk through with me and demonstrated how everything works including the grey and black water systems. I have to store the unit away from my home for various reasons (warm weather) and want to know if it is advisable to dump the water from the black and grey holding tanks that was used for demonstration purposes before I store it for six weeks before my first camping outing. I guess I also need to know if I need to empty the fresh water tank.

Thanks for your help.

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Most of us empty tanks upon return from camping to eliminate potential bacterial growth-those little organisms do love dark and damp. If the black tank was used in the past, best to empty it into a bucket to dispose of in your household toilet rather than dumping in your driveway.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    GDawgGDawg Member Posts: 34
    Thanks! That's really helpful. Now I'll look for the fresh water drain:-)

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Agree with jgram2.  The black tank needs time to break down if it was used for solids and I've stored for a few weeks without emptying the black tank for that reason, but if it was just a demo, I would empty them all...and use a bucket for the black tank.  :-)
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Thanks!!

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

• Options
    In addition to a little water in the black tank, like Smullis7, we use a little bit of Happy Campers, an organic RV holding tank chemical to eliminate odor and discourage bacteria. That product and others like it are readily available at several commercial vendors.

• Options
    Thanks!

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

• Options
    You’re very welcome. While we’ve learned much, there’s still much to learn.

• Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    The fresh water drain may be underneath right behind the stairs 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @GDawg, I will assume you are new to the RV experience, so pardon me if this is redundant.  

Good tank practice includes annual sanitizing of your fresh water tank and emptying of your fresh tank and Alde tank if there is a period of time in between use (storage or sitting in your drive).  Several members have dealt with algae growth and it can lead to clogged outlets and filters - not unique to Tabs.  In addition, general consensus recommends to allow your gray and black tanks to get about 3/4 full before dumping as this allows things that can collect on the tank sides to remain afloat and easily evacuated when you dump.  So, if at a full hook up site, you can hook up to the sewer hole, but leave your outlet valves closed until you need to dump.  Have fun and enjoy your new facilities!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks! I emptied the fresh water tank and the system this morning. I think I found all the drains.

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota