Options

Battery 16.8 Volt

We do own a cirrus 920, but there is no real forum for the cirrus. I assume the setup of the factory solar system might be similar.
We have a 100 watt panel, CE Rohs controller and two 6volt batteries series connected,  factory installed. The only addition we made is connecting an inverter to the batteries.
One morning, after driving for a little over 1 hour, we wanted to use 120 volt power from the inverter. But we got an alarm, and the red light came on. After a little research I find out that it means the batteries have more then 16V.
Looking at the solar controller, sure enough, it states battery voltage 16.8. Out in full sun.
Battery capacity 0.00% which is also strange.

Is the controller not working right? 

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Sounds like some wiring issues.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RanchosouthRanchosouth Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. - I connected the inverter directly to the batteries. Can't tell right now if negative to one battery and positive to the other, or both to the same. Will that make a diffrence, and can this be the trouble maker? 
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Yes.  You should be positive what you are connecting too.   You could damage equipment or start a fire.

Sounds like a blown fuse from the solar controler to the battery.

Check your dc power input on your inverter with a DC voltmeter it should be something over 12 volts....
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    RanchosouthRanchosouth Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input. The camper is at a repair shop, but they have a hard time figuring the issue. That's why I am not 100% sure how I connected my inverter right now. But I am almost sure I did positive to one battery and negative to the other. I will go and check if I find a fuse between controller and batteries. This must be in the controller? And also will get a DC voltometer. Thanks.