Options

Good brand of replacement tires?

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
After seeing a photo of a shredded tire from a 2016 T@B on Facebook, I am thinking of proactively replacing my tires. We still have plenty of tread, but we have a longish trip planned next month and we were going to replace them next year anyway. 

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    I replaced my original tires and spare, all with good tread, with Goodyear Endurance trailer tires.  Goodyear says they are speed rated up to 87 MPH.  I don't drive that fast but at least I can drive the speed limit now.  Have been happy with them.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I also use the Goodyear Endurance tires.
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2019
    Got over 10k miles on the Goodyear Endurance on our Tab, still looks new.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Thanks all - we called our trailer service place and they’re getting a pair of Goodyear Endurance tires for us!
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We are high mileage T@bbers................on our third set of tires on our 2015 T@B.   First set of Goodyear Endurance tires, which replaced the factory's original tires, went almost 25,000 miles.   Rather than seeing how many more miles I could get, I chose to replace them with another set of Goodyear Endurance.   Couldn't be happier!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    We did go with a set of the Goodyear Endurance. We are on our way from NY to SC and are experiencing a little bit of trailer sway that I haven’t noticed before. 

Might it be these tires? Or maybe because the pressure is higher, 55 psi instead of 45 psi? Or because they permit us to drive faster, 65 instead of 60?

For the first time I’m starting to think we should get a sway control device. 
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    edited October 2019
    One very cheap option to try if you're experiencing a little trailer sway (before looking at sway control devices):  Move your tow ball as close as you can to your TV's back axle.  This distance is a lever arm, and shortening it can improve handling dramatically.
    Ours now looks like this:

This was done by getting a second hole drilled which took about 2.5" off the effective hitch length

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited October 2019
    Photomom John, why are you running 55 psi?  I would stick with cold pressure in the 45-50 range. The Endurance sidewalls are actually rated stiffer than the OEM tires so my guess is the higher pressure coupled with increased speed is possibly impacting the sway potential. And remember those tires are rated for 80+ mpg. First time I crossed the GW bridge and then the Throgs Neck I went out and purchased the Harbor Freight sway bar.  I use it on the interstate to counter the effect of the large trucks and anytime I know I’ll be traveling over bridges especially that freaking Tydings Memorial bridge on 95 over the Susquehanna River. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

I had good luck with Goodyear Endurance tires, but they were on larger campers. I think it should be mentioned that it is important to have a TPMS on the tires, particularly on a single axle camper. Any tire can go flat, what’s important is knowing it is going flat and stopping before the tire shreds and does damage.

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I replaced the stock tires on my 400 at 6000 miles with Goodyear Endurance D rated tires. With the recommendation to run the tires close to max inflation, the tires at at 60 psi. We completed a 9500 mile cross country trip this summer and just returned from a 1500 mile trip to Shenandoah and Assateague. I have a friction anti-sway bar and have no issues with sway under various conditions. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 929
    edited October 2019
    I doubt the sway is the fault of your new tires or air pressure.  I suspect your tongue weight is a little light.  Before making any changes to your equipment, try moving a little weight forward of the trailer axle.
    For good stability try to have the tongue weight close to 15% of the T@Bs total loaded weight (generally 2000 to 2400 pounds) => 300 to 360 pounds tongue weight.  This can make a big difference in handling and stability.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Photomom said:
    We did go with a set of the Goodyear Endurance. We are on our way from NY to SC and are experiencing a little bit of trailer sway that I haven’t noticed before. 

Might it be these tires? Or maybe because the pressure is higher, 55 psi instead of 45 psi? Or because they permit us to drive faster, 65 instead of 60?

Have you packed differently, in a way that impact your weight distribution?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Photomom said:

Have you packed differently, in a way that impact your weight distribution?

Not really. Only difference is tires. 

We  have a shiny new tow vehicle waiting for us at home, off the boat from Japan too late to break it in before this trip. I’ll hold off on buying anything till we start traveling with it sometime this spring. I do have a couple of camp chairs that normally ride on the sofa and will move them to the floor in front of the axle and see if that makes any difference for the rest of this trip. 
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Tires maybe a different height that could change the weight distribution on the trailer....

Just a thought
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods