Options

Visor or awning. Which do you use most?

For those with both or have had both, which do you use the most? We are never in one spot more than 2 days. I think an awning takes a little longer to set up than the visor and offers more shade vs the visor quick and easy but not as much shade. We just sold our 2010 and picking up our new Outback this weekend. Looking to buy either one if someone has o e or the other they are not using. 

Which do you prefer?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited April 2017
    Another factor I'd ask about is wind, does the awning do ok or better in wind than the visor. I've had so much wind this winter that I haven't deployed the visor in 4-6 months. Winds would come up in the middle of the night and it just wasn't worth taking down and redeploying again in the morning.
    My impression is that the tents do better as the wind doesn't get in and under the roof.
    Edit-Add: This was an unusual year, I used it quit a bit previously.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

First, I believe the XL visor is the way to go - much more shade and rain protection than the standard model.  I've found the awning to be much more time-consuming to set up than the visor.  Anytime you need to pound (or drill) in tent pegs adds to the work load (the awning uses five).  In a year, I've probably used my awning twice compared to the visor at 10 times.  I've also noticed the awning tends to trap in heat whereas the visor doesn't.  Regarding wind, I take my visor down each night to avoid hearing the flapping of the fabric during windy conditions.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    edited April 2017
    We have both, and use our XL visor mainly for short trips (2-3 nights - mainly weekends)  and awning for longer stays (4+ nights). In our experience, awning is just a bit more involved to set up than the visor, but it provides more reliable protection from rain and wind, and enables us to set up our outdoor kitchen and sitting area. If we had to limit ourselves to just one, we'd choose the awning - but we love the flexibility of having both  :) .

2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

PXLated said:

Another factor I'd ask about is wind, does the awning do ok or better in wind than the visor. I've had so much wind this winter that I haven't deployed the visor in 4-6 months. Winds would come up in the middle of the night and it just wasn't worth taking down and redeploying again in the morning.
    My impression is that the tents do better as the wind doesn't get in and under the roof.
    Edit-Add: This was an unusual year, I used it quit a bit previously.

My Visor took a beating from the wind last summer. It's getting repaired, now. It wasn't so much the windstorms as it was the daily wind exposure. It's hard to do without it in the summer as it does provide shade and help cool the interior.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have a visor and the T@B tent/screen room.  The visor is easiest for short/quick setups, provides quick shade and some coverage and shelter from rain.  I use 2 stakes just in front of the visor to tie off the tensioning strings on the visor and protect it from wind gusts. I do take it down in heavier wind conditions or when approaching weather is eminent too.

We have enjoyed the T@B tent too and used it a lot this winter out in Arizona.  It provides additional living space, provides shade and privacy too.  This was a good investment and is easy to set up with familiarity and practice.  

I use the visor on both sides of the trailerfor shade as needed.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    Mike, in the warm weather, did you have enough ventilation in the tent?  How did it do with the wind?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited April 2017

SAM said:

Mike, in the warm weather, did you have enough ventilation in the tent?  How did it do with the wind?

We were in Arizona and there was a slight breeze for the most part and if it did get too warm we were able to roll up the screen and nylon door panel that allowed for things to cool off considerably.   Obviously in higher heat conditions it is warm, but surprisingly the screen room was a pleasant addition and we erected it when we remained in locations for longer than 2 days as it gives additional living area and is a nice spot to enjoy coffee, have dinner, lunch, etc. and without bugs and with privacy too.  I had it staked pretty good and it performs well in windy conditions if you snug up the tensioning lines.   I do protect my gear and if large weather systems with high winds are approaching I do take the scree room down or position the trailer in a manner that allows it to act as a wind break of sorts and to protect things that are opposite the wind.   It is a must in open areas of the west that are windy, especially when high winds are forecast.  We re-positioned the trailer a few times in anticipation of approaching storm fronts.  

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Michigan_Mike, Nice, like the color matches! One question though: When you install the visor on the driver's side, is there a place to start "feeding" it through like on the passenger side? On mine, the keeder rail is the same all the way across not having the little "notches" like on the passenger side. Thanks
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options

ericnliz said:

When you install the visor on the driver's side, is there a place to start "feeding" it through like on the passenger side?  On mine, the keeder rail is the same all the way across not having the little "notches" like on the passenger side. Thanks

Eric, normally the Keder rail opening isn't there (along the driver's side) on the trailers.   You can however modify the rail near the bottom of the track and just to the side a bit with a set of pliers or a set of vice grips.  Take a credit card (you can place it on the Keder rail edge and mark both ends with a pencil for reference) and mark the edge of the Keder rail.  Carefully bend the Keder rail slightly upwards and to a point that will allow you to insert the rope edge of the awning into the Keder rail track.  You perform this task equally, and along the edge of the Keder rail until you are about the length of a credit or business card.  PopT@B has fabricated a tool (vice grips) that allows him to do this task easily.   I used a set of lineman pliers to raise the Keder rail lip up some and played with a bit to get it raised the same distance along the edge.  I did the same thing on the passenger side as I was having some difficulty installing the skirt (from the screen room) along the bottom Keder rail strip on both sides of the wheel well area.  Since I made these slight modification/adjustments I can now install the visor on either side of the trailer and getting the screen room tent up is a lot easier!  

Thanks for asking!  
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike, Thanks, good helpful info as usual! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ericnliz, go to Harbor Freight and get one of their welding vise grips and it takes 15 seconds to make the entry slot on each end of the Keder rail. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna, Thanks for the tip magic wand lady! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options

Verna said:

@ericnliz, go to Harbor Freight and get one of their welding vise grips and it takes 15 seconds to make the entry slot on each end of the Keder rail. 

Exactly!  I'm guessing the factory uses something similar....  But I'm lazy, didn't have time to travel for this tool and did the same thing using my lineman pliers.