Options

Denver to the Gulf Coast and Back End of Nov Early Dec.

jpi68jpi68 Member Posts: 80
edited October 2019 in Camping & Travel
Susan and I are planning a trip in our 2019 T@B 400 to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Back. I have already winterized the camper by draining the low points and  adding about 5 gallons of antifreeze to the fresh water tank then running it through the system. I have purchased a winterizing cut off valve that I have attached between the freshwater tank and the pump to run antifreeze through the system, but haven’t used it yet. It is already getting below freezing here at night pretty regularly. On our trip out it will take us one our two days to get out of freezing weather. On the way back to Colorado there will be three to four days where we can expect to be traveling in below freezing weather. My plan is to de-winterize on the way out as soon as we are out of the freeze zone, and re-winterize when we hit the freeze zone on the way back. For those days when we are in the freeze zone I was thinking that we could keep a jug of water in the camper for cooking and washing dishes. Adding antifreeze to the P-trap to keep the grey tank from freezing and dumping regularly. Same with the toilet, flush with antifreeze and dump daily. Question, should I drain my freshwater tank and rinse it out before we leave, and leave it empty while we are in freezing weather. This is a first time traveling in cold weather for us any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    @jpi68, We are going to be heading out from Wisconsin to the southwest in mid January. Our plan is to de-winterize, including dumping and flushing the fresh water tank, as soon as we hit above freezing temps. It may be okay for you to dump and flush fresh water tank before leaving but I would probably just wait until your out of freezing temps. 

20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2019
    I would leave the freshwater tank empty while in freeze areas if the freezing temps are sustained for let’s say10-12 hours or more.  I have camped in mountainous areas where temps got down to below freezing and warmed up above freezing the next day and without any issues.  You obviously won’t be able to leave a hose hooked up to the trailer as it will freeze laying on the ground outside.  You CAN fill up the freshwater tank and should be fine if the temperatures only get below freezing for short periods of time because water does hold heat and this is a better alternative than trying to use a hose hooked to a water source.  But again,  this would only apply for short duration periods when temperatures were below freezing at night or early morning periods and the outside temperatures rise up above freezing during the day.  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Mike and JR, Thanks for your comments. I have been checking my November outbound route and the average daytime temperatures are projected to be in the mid 50’s with the night time temps dipping down into the high twenties or low thirties. From what you have said, I should be able to de-winterize before we leave from the front range. I hope to be in Lubbock, TX by the first night. The projected daytime temps there will be in the mid sixties and night time lows in the upper thirties. No problems once we get to the Gulf Coast. Temperatures will not be a problem until the return trip. By that time it will be early December and our return route will have is in freezing temps both day and night. Any ideas?
  • Options
    warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2019
    I NEVER put antifreeze in my fresh water tank. Installed a valve from Amazon (recommend by “Travels with Delaney”) as soon as I picked up my T@B400. Best and easiest way to winterize. Can get it done with one gallon of RV Fluid.  I like to always carry 2 just in case.  Watch their how to videos, they are very informative. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
  • Options
    Warren, thanks, I installed one of those valves in my tab 400, and I have no idea what’s going on I have run 3 gallons of antifreeze through it and it never comes out through the sink, showers, or toilet. I am baffled, I have no idea where it is going. I drained my low points and then turned the valves back. I watch the Travels with Delaney video several times. I have no idea where the antifreeze is going, it drains the container but does not come out through the sinks, or other outlets.... Therefore I’ve use the alternative method which is to put for 5 gallons of antifreeze in the freshwater tank and then run it through The system that works for me. If anybody has any ideas as to what I’m doing wrong with the cut off valve please let me know.
  • Options
    warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    Be sure to close the valves after draining. Put in bypass mode. Put valve inside camper in “suck from the gallon” not my fresh water tank. Turn on pump, open each faucet, hot then cold. Turn off as soon as you see pink. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    @jpi68, I am not sure what kind of “valve” you are using, but, if you ran antifreeze into the TaB BEFORE bypassing the Alde, then closed the bypass valve after the antifreeze, maybe you trapped antifreeze in the Alde water tank.  Open up the Alde water tank drain valve and crack open a faucet and see if there is antifreeze in the Alde.  Did you bypass the Alde when you ran the antifreeze through from the fresh tank?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio