Campsite water

Do any of you actually drink the water at your campsite?
We place a filter on ours but I am reconsidering that.  Since we are unable to drink the water in the T@B, why filter it?
We do have a hose splitter and could use it instead.  
It would be nice to fill my tea kettle with campground water at times.
Thank you.
Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    I don't drink the campsite/T@b fresh water; I wash and occasionally cook with it, and do use it for brushing teeth. I'll usually grab a case of bottled water for drinking water on trips, and have a 1.25 gallon "flat" plastic container (probably will get another of those) that I use for cooking. If I'm running low on the 1.25-gal container, I'll use the T@b water (tank or street) for coffee/tea.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,159
    edited May 2015
    JudyMac, How come you can't drink the water in the Tab?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    If you use the flat Coghlan's water carriers you use in my opinion the best. Flat when empty, holds a manageable amount of water and don't roll off the table.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Chan, our manual is in the T@B at storage.  I forgot to bring it home, but I thought the manual recommendations were to not drink or cook with the water.  I understand the Alde is a closed system, but maybe the suggestion is that that we might not be aware of a leak in the system into our fresh water.
    Forgive
     me if I have created confusion.
    I thought we had become minimalist; however, not so when looking inside our TV.  
    one of the things I thought I could do is cut back on the amount of fresh water I carry.  I drink water all day.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    The issue for me is that campground water is "unknown" and the T@b (any RV) fresh water system is a good place to grow bacteria. Probably not a problem, but easy to avoid issues. The more frequently you purify the system, the less likely of any problems.  Like when I used to do Boundary Waters trips - you're PROBABLY safe drinking the water from the middle of the large lakes, but is it worth the risk?
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2015
    I drink both.
    For the internal tank I think it depends on how fresh the water is. How often it's changed over.
    And on your personal system - I know some people that get dysentery just thinking of dysentery whereas I could probably drink the water south of the boarder and be fine.
    I think this has been discussed somewhere here before - at least as it relates to the internal tank.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394

I realized one day last summer, that, although I had not made a conscious decision not to use the fresh water tank for drinking water. I actually never had. I think to me there are just too many places where things could go wrong. I also will use it wash dishes, and sometimes cook, though.

I do enjoy filling my water containers with potable water and have had some very good tasting water. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon has some of the best tasting water around.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    edited May 2015
    I just use a Brita pitcher to filter campground water for drinking. 
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,159
    edited May 2015
    I think if your fresh water tank is periodically properly "sanitized", it's just as reliable as 'unknown' water at a campground. And I feel store-bought bottled water isn't very reliable either.

The manual only says not to drink the water from the hot water heater. But that's been the standard, even with household hot water tanks, for as long as I can remember.

As long as they've used a type of plastic for the fresh water holding tank that doesn't release bad stuff into the water, I won't worry about it. Some of that bottled water tastes like plastic, and I avoid that. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I will and have consumed both campground and tab water.  However,  our standard procedure has been to take a case of water with us and keep it in the TV.  
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Knew a guy who's son owned one of the bottled water brands - He used to laugh at how much money there was in basically tap water put in bottles :-)