Options

Charging time using Honda eu2200 generator on 2 6V AGM batteries

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
I need to charge my batteries on the T@b 400 that has 2 6V AGM’s  (not run anything in the camper),   This Honda generator can do that I assume plugging T@b into the generator with 15/30 adapter. Anyone know how long it would take to charge batteries from 50% discharged? Want to get them charged up for the winter and no shore power readily available.,

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The Honda generator 12v charging is unregulated and the Tab 400 batteries are difficult to access, assuming you have a Honda model with a 12v DC side and of course the correct cables (an option). The generator only puts out 8.3a DC for charging batteries.

I would hook the generator to the shore power cord and let it run charging via the converter/charger that is built into the camper. A few hours to 24 hours or so should do it. Same time it would take if you were plugged to shore power.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Thanks! The Honda generator fully charged my batteries in just under 5 hours. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @Missstsomewhere, how are you measuring your battery State of Charge?  The reason I ask is because the built-in KIB style battery monitor over estimates your charge by a wide margin and if you leave your battery unattended during the winter, it may self discharge more than you realize if not completely charged before storage.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Well...(red faced) I hate to admit this but I have the Victron monitor but haven’t taken the time to read the manual so don’t know how to use it. It is set up and operating, the dealer did that. I was going by the monitor on the trailer, which I know isn’t great. I have now found a place to plug it into a 30amp outlet so plan on plugging it in for a few more hours. 
  • Options
    Good you have the Victron BMV.  It is easy to set up.  Just follow their quick start guidelines. Here is a YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/KIVeffHqXu4

I think you only need to indicate your battery type (AGM) and capacity to get you started.  Looks like it is easier to set up using the Victron Connect app rather than on the monitor display itself.  You want to turn off your battery switch and inverter which will allow your battery to reflect the SOC load free.  Then leave it like that overnight, then read the SOC.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    How did you accomplish the charging with the Honda? Via the converter or were you sing the 12v leads from the Honda direct to your battery?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Yep, it’s set up. I just haven’t looked at it to know what to do. However, I’m assuming I just need to see it say 100%. Will check that tomorrow. Probably should have checked that today, just didn’t think of it. Thanks for the link!! 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Converter. Which is the first time I’ve tried that too. In any case. If it didn’t work, I’ll have it on 30amp shore power now for several hours so that should do the trick. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    If possible, I'd leave it on shore power for 12 hours, 'just to be sure'. The converter tends to trickle charge at a low rate (in the 320 anyway. Not sure if your 400 has a fancier converter).
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    If you have to use a generator to plug in your camper to charge your batteries, then that's what you need to do (as opposed to shore power). Using a generator is a very inefficient way to charge batteries. To reach a maximum charge state, all 12V (or 2x 6V) need an overnight charge with no loads. That means the cutoff switch is engaged.

Now, if you don't use your generator very often, this is a great way to run it with a load with a fresh tank of gas! Just know that unless you have an extended tank set up on the Honda (I'm only referring to the 2000s), you will run out of gas around 5-6 hours with a load. That's only a 0.4 gallon tank. The extended tank is 5 gallons.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Victron Battery Monitor: What does “Open” mean? My battery is 100% positive turned offwith cut off switch. Or is this completely unrelated to that? 
  • Options
    Page 23 in the manual discusses relays.  https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-BMV-700-700H-702-712-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-PT-IT.pdf

I believe that you set up parameters to be notified when your voltage is above a set high voltage and below a set mid and low voltage at which point it closes.  If you are within your parameters, it reads as “OPEN”.

Someone correct me if I have been too simplistic,