Options

Need help with outdoor shower

In 3 years of ownership, I've never used the outdoor shower.  However, I recently had to replace the valve assembly and noticed water shooting out of this hole when the shower handle was turned off, but with the hot and cold water valves turned on.  Is this normal?

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Based on the lack of response to my question, I assume no one else on the forum uses their outdoor shower. And here I thought I was the only member of the T&B Unwashed Masses.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I have used mine. I only see water come out of that hole a few times, but not in any copious amounts. I suspect it’s some sort of bleeder valve outlet, but can’t swear to it...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm ignorant - no outdoor shower - but often unwashed as well.
    On the indoor shower, there's a 'drain back' hole at the base of the hose. Maybe this is the same thing?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks guys - it’s probably some sort of pressure release device. Chan, you really should shower more. 😂
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2019
    @Tabaz, I have never noticed mine leaking, BUT until you pointed it out, I never even noticed it.  However, the outside shower is a "Fontana," made by ITC Inc., so I did a search to see if I could figure out what the purpose is.  I found the part, but I am not sure what the purpose is.  Speculating only, I am guessing it is some sort of pressure relief tube/drain for the mixing (hot and cold water) valve. 

Here's a link to the part in question......there is also a diagram showing where the part fits at the back of the shower:

https://www.itc-rv.com/product/exterior-shower-replacement-straight-nipple-seal-collar-o-ring-assembly/

Here's a photo of what the backside of the shower control looks like.  The part in question fits in the center of the backside of the control and apparently creates a seal:

You may want to search for the manufacturer's contact number and give them a call to find out why it is leaking.  I will be following this to see what you find out.  Good luck!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    In this thread from a few years ago, there is a discussion of a "mixing valve", separate from the main mixing valve in the trailer, in the housing behind the hot/cold handles. 

You can find the comment from "Mr and Mrs Gnome" on page 2 of the thread.  I found the stuff that Bayliss found, and it appears to be a really simple box, but there does not seem to be any information about the operation of the shower at all.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your help!  Because there is VERY little pressure at the shower wand and I never use the thing, I've decided to cap off the hot and cold water lines in front of the valves.  That should stop the small leak from that opening.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    But, @Tabaz , how will you give Sunny Day a bath if she visit you?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sunny Day will get to use the indoor shower where the cabin is temperature controlled!
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    I seem to remember that on my old Coleman pop-up trailer, the outdoor shower had an "automatic" bleed valve which admitted air to allow the shower head to drain when the water was turned off.  Maybe you have a broken one of those?
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    I can no longer trust this thing not to leak, so capped off the water lines and put the shower valve assembly into a Ziplock bag for the next owner. Will sleep well tonight knowing this gremlin has been emaciated. 
  • Options
    DaveAnnaDaveAnna Member Posts: 41
    Here’s the leak issue coming out the “hole”. The connection to the shower hose has a large “nut” in the plastic housing. Remove the nut and the assembly will come out. It’s part of the large round piece. Once the nut and round piece is out, an o ring is around the round piece and a flat washer is between the housing and round piece. Replace the flat gasket, hose washer will work. Re assemble and the “hole” won’t leak. You might be able to just tighten the large “nut” and it’ll stop leaking