Options

Winterizing a T@B 400 by nüCamp featuring Creed

Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    I might have missed it @Verna, but did Creed instruct to flush the toilet to get antifreeze into the toilet valve area?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    yes, he did. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I didnt find the video very helpful since he basically just read from the checklist. I would just like to say that I only put 2 gallons in the fresh water tank and I had more than enough to run antifreeze through the entire system. You dont need 4 to 5 gallons! I used another half gallon to pour down the traps. There is still antifreeze in the freshwater tank after I finished so I cant imagine why he is saying to our 4 to 5 gallons in the tank.
  • Options
    Maybe because there is a remnant of water left in the tank after draining and it will dilute the antifreeze less if you use more antifreeze?  The tank holds 30 gallons, but is listed as only 22 gallons usable.
  • Options
    tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 48
    So, I don’t see the separate Alde drain shut offs (the yellow ones) on my 2018 400. I’m 2000 miles away, will have to look again when I get back. Anyone else not finding these on their 400?
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @tphaggerty they should be there. A single one if you have an Alde 3010 without the flow and if you have a 3020 with the flow then two of them. Depends on build date what you have. I have a 2019 with two of the yellow valves, should be pretty obvious through the outside access door on the driver side.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    edited November 2019
    I have a 2018 400 with a 3020 without flow and have one yellow valve which is accessible through the “Alde access door”. The 400 was built March 2018. So there is another variant. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    If you are pulling antifreeze through the pump it's SOP to flush the terlet to pull antifreeze through the valve. The pour another glug down the hole for good measure. A couple gallons usually does the job. 
  • Options
    So, I may have missed this, but how do 400 owners fully empty their fresh tanks?  

The 30 gallon tank has 22 usable gallons and I assume the pump starts sucking air with multiple gallons left in the tank.  So, my point above is, if you add only a couple of gallons of antifreeze, it will be diluted by the water - less diluted  if you add 4-5 gallons.  
    I guess the work around is to place the AF after the fresh tank and/or pump.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I drove about 20 miles with the pitcock open on the fresh water tank and there was still some left. I parked level and it took a couple more hours for it to quit dribbling. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    So, I may have missed this, but how do 400 owners fully empty their fresh tanks?  

The 30 gallon tank has 22 usable gallons and I assume the pump starts sucking air with multiple gallons left in the tank.  So, my point above is, if you add only a couple of gallons of antifreeze, it will be diluted by the water - less diluted  if you add 4-5 gallons.  
    Assuming that you disconnect the tank and draw only antifreeze it's not an issue. As @Verna notes the tank can be further emptied with some amount of hijinks.
  • Options
    peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    About those yellow Alde valves. We have a 2019  400 with 2 valves and easy access is thru the side hatch.  The other family 400 is a 2018 and there is only one valve and it is best accessed by lifting the bed over the Alde unit on the inside of the trailer.  BTW when we got our 2019 we didn't have any yellow valves and only after back and forth with the dealer and NuCamp did we determine they had been removed by the dealer (dealer thought they were a troublesome non necessity) before delivery. NuCamp ensured they put them back post haste. While this year I put the AF in the tank, I like how on You Tube, Mandy (using her vodka), simply unscrewed the intake hose between the tank and the pump and sucked the vodka (AF) with the pump intake in a pot. I'll be doing that next winter.  
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612

The drain valve behind left tire empties the entire tank.  The 22 useable gallons is what the pump can draw, but the drain empties from the bottom of the tank.  Driving around with the drain valve open should drain it pretty good.  I don't think you need any AF in the tank since freezing of any water left inside won't hurt anything, especially if you leave the drain valve open.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Ok, so the pump and fresh tank drain do not come off the same T like the 320s? Where does the pump enter?