Options

Is extra brake wiring needed?

I'm buying a used TAB.  Having a new hitch installed with 7 pt. wiring, 2 \" ball/ etc.  Wondering if I need to get the separate brake wiring for the trailer also.
Any advise welcome
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    What year TaB?  I believe they started putting in electric brakes with at least some of the 2014 models.  Otherwise with surge brakes or the much older Dutchman brakes, you do not need a wire for the brake "pin".  If you have electric brakes, you need a wire for the brake pin if you are using a hard-wired controller, otherwise, if you are using a RF controller, then you do not need to wire the brake pin.

Make sure they wire a charge wire so you can charge your TaB battery on the road.

Do you have a battery switch?  If so, keep it turned on while towing to recharge your TaB battery and to be able to activate the break-away brakes in case of a full TV-trailer disconnect.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    gullystravelsgullystravels Member Posts: 27
    Thanks, It's a 2012 320 with hydraulic brakes.  Not sure what you mean by "brake pin" and what is a RF controller?

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    Thanks, It's a 2012 320 with hydraulic brakes.  Not sure what you mean by "brake pin" and what is a RF controller?

If you have surge brakes (most 2013 & earlier T@Bs but I've heard of a few that have electric brakes) you don't need a brake controller. Before you travel too far I would take it to a reliable tire/brake shop to ensure that everything (tires, bearings, brakes) is in good working order. I use a shop that handles a lot of trucks and they're pretty amused when I roll in with my T@B once a year. Tires/brakes are not the place to skimp, IMO. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    As @Marceline mentions you should double check that someone didn't retrofit your trailer but you likely do not need a brake connection for your electrical hook up nor a brake controller. The "brake pin" is a reference to that specific contact in the wiring's connector and RF (radio frequency/wireless) controller could replace a wired controller if you had electric brakes. When you have electric brakes controllers are used to regulate the power applied. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @gullystravels, we have some info listed under the Categories you may find helpful.  Check out Dutchman resources.

This is specific to 2012       http://www.tabownersclub.com/wp-content/uploads/tab_flyer.pdf

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio