Options

I’m In Love, and My Back is Happy!

HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
edited November 2019 in Products and Accessories
I recently purchased the Purple Line Enduro trailer mover. While it and the installation aren’t inexpensive I figure that it’s cheaper than messing up my back and surgery. I took it and my Tab to my dealer and picked it up after work today, fully installed and ready to use! I couldn’t be happier right now, and my back is happy. It is so simple to use and no more scraping a fender going in and out of the shed. I’ll get pics of it installed another day when the sun’s up. It does change my clearance under the trailer some so I’ll have to remember that. I want to thank @VictoriaP for all her great advice! Also a big shout-out to Purple Line and owner Paul, who gave me and my install guy his cell number to call if there were any questions. That’s great customer service! Final thanks goes to RnR-Rv in Liberty Lake for tackling their first ever install of one of these.(Yes, they are well paid...) they agreed to cap the labor charge if it took longer than recommend since it’s their first install. If you happen to buy one and are in the Eastern Washington or North Idaho area they know Tabs and can now install Purple Line’s. 
2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    So glad you got one!!! It's been the best thing for me ever!!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    So the motors have some sort of ridged roller that rubs on the tire to move the camper?  Sounds like the way my sons old Go-Ped motor/drive worked.
    Do the motors engage using the remote, or do you manually engage them against the tires?  I saw something in the manual about using a wrench to rotate the rollers onto the tires.
    Can you use it on non paved surfaces?  I'm guessing the camper tires have no issues, but what about the hitch wheel getting mired down in sand, gravel, etc?

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    So happy for you, @Homebodyatheart! And happy I could help.
    So the motors have some sort of ridged roller that rubs on the tire to move the camper?  Sounds like the way my sons old Go-Ped motor/drive worked.
    Do the motors engage using the remote, or do you manually engage them against the tires?  I saw something in the manual about using a wrench to rotate the rollers onto the tires.
    Can you use it on non paved surfaces?  I'm guessing the camper tires have no issues, but what about the hitch wheel getting mired down in sand, gravel, etc?

On the model Mouseketab, Homebody, and myself all have, there’s a detachable lever to engage the motors. I believe one of the more expensive models now has the ability to be fully engaged via the remote, not sure if it’s available in the US. I have some strength and mobility limitations due to chronic illness; no issues with using the lever.

Yes, non paved surfaces are fine, yes, the jack wheel is a possible limitation on the performance when on non paved surfaces. I have both a double hard wheel and a double pneumatic that I’ve used. I would be concerned about deep sand and non compacted gravel....but frankly, I wouldn’t take the Tab into either of those situations without a solid 4wd tow vehicle anyway. There are tons of videos out there showing the system in action on a number of surfaces; I strongly recommend looking at them if you’re at all serious about this product. Given the cost, definitely do the research to make sure it will work for your own camping style.

That said, ZERO REGRETS here. Plain and simple, the smartest money I spent for the Tab was on having this system installed before I ever brought the trailer home.

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    sharfiesharfie Member Posts: 7
    @VictoriaP where did you get your double wheels from? I need to be able to go over bluestone in my driveway.
  • Options
    sharfie said:
    @VictoriaP where did you get your double wheels from? I need to be able to go over bluestone in my driveway.
    The hard double wheel I bought from Purpleline and grossly overpaid. Cheaper options are available on Amazon. The pneumatic pair was a DIY from posts here and on Facebook, search “pneumatic” and they should pop up. There are DIY triple hard wheel options mixed in those posts as well, and that’s probably what I would do if I had to replace my double for some reason.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    eeeekkk! I got my "shipped" email today that my purpleline Enduro will arrive to me next week. I have an appointment to get it installed in the middle of December. I'm excited to not worry about how to back into every different campsite I go to. Can't wait to join the club!
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • Options
    @geekmama congratulations! So far I’m beyond happy with it! It comes in two boxes and each is heavy. Thanks for sharing!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options

I have a totally different jockey wheel system than the newer T@Bs have so, yes, I have used the mover on concrete, grass, gravel, dirt, (not in soft sand though, but have used it on the coquina at Disney). No issues. I did have to put little pieces of steel on the entrance of my garage as ramps, as it has a code required lip. As others have said, there are wheels that can be purchased and/or modified to replace your current small wheel.

I manually engage the rollers against the tires. There is a bar that allows you to engage both rollers at the same time.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554

I have a totally different jockey wheel system than the newer T@Bs have so, yes, I have used the mover on concrete, grass, gravel, dirt, (not in soft sand though, but have used it on the coquina at Disney). No issues. I did have to put little pieces of steel on the entrance of my garage as ramps, as it has a code required lip. As others have said, there are wheels that can be purchased and/or modified to replace your current small wheel.

I manually engage the rollers against the tires. There is a bar that allows you to engage both rollers at the same time.
    Thanks, I'll have to look at your photos to see what your wheel looks like.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options

Thanks, I'll have to look at your photos to see what your wheel looks like.
    My wheel won't fit your trailer. I have an older Dutchmen with a completely different frame. See if you can find the jockey wheel thread here on the vanilla forums.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart in your signature it says that you have a 2017 320S. It seems that it's the non-boondock one. I'm wondering if the installers mentioned that your clearance is very low and what they did about it.

My installers wouldn't install it because they said it only left a couple inches of clearance. I want to find out if it's possible to actually install. I have a 2018 320 CS-S. Does anyone know if this is lower than the 2017 S?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    geekmama said:
    @Homebodyatheart in your signature it says that you have a 2017 320S. It seems that it's the non-boondock one. I'm wondering if the installers mentioned that your clearance is very low and what they did about it.

My installers wouldn't install it because they said it only left a couple inches of clearance. I want to find out if it's possible to actually install. I have a 2018 320 CS-S. Does anyone know if this is lower than the 2017 S?
    @Mouseketab has the Purpleline installed on a much older CS than yours, and I would really down she has more ground clearance than a 2018. The connecting bars between the motors do extend down a little below the spare tire on mine, but even on a non BD model, I wouldn’t term it “very low” unless you’re offroading.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP thanks, I'm thinking of asking them to just install it and see if I can manage. I haven't had any problem with the spare tire. I just can't figure out how much lower the purpleline would end up being. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    geekmama said:
    @VictoriaP thanks, I'm thinking of asking them to just install it and see if I can manage. I haven't had any problem with the spare tire. I just can't figure out how much lower the purpleline would end up being. 
    OK, so I took a quick look. The actual height of the motor mount appears to be 8 1/2”. Assuming a bit of fudge factor for shims or anything I misread, you can assume a 9” drop from the bottom of the trailer frame to the lowest point on the Purpleline (outside edge of motor mounts on either side). A rough eyeball guess is that the connecting bar is about 2” below the spare tire, trailer’s not in a good spot to take more accurate measurements. Hopefully that helps some! Only other thing I can add is that I did pretty extensive digging online prior to purchase and talked with several owners with it on a Tab or Tada. No reports of clearance issues. But again, obviously it will cut into the clearance enough that it’s not well suited to offroading.

Edit: Did some more digging. Here’s the official statement. See if this helps. 

http://www.purplelineusa.com/products-enduro-faqs.php
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP thanks you're a life saver. I will call them on Monday and push them a bit. If they still won't do it, I'll bring it somewhere else. I'm so glad I'm doing this in the winter so timing isn't so important. 
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    geekmama said:

@Mouseketab has the Purpleline installed on a much older CS than yours, and I would really down she has more ground clearance than a 2018. The connecting bars between the motors do extend down a little below the spare tire on mine, but even on a non BD model, I wouldn’t term it “very low” unless you’re offroading.

My difference, is I don't use the hanging brackets. I have an Al-Ko frame, and it bolts directly to the frame.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    @geekmama I talked with my mechanic, and a good friend who knows Tabs well and neither wanted to tackle the install. I spoke with my local tech manager at the RV store I purchased her from, sent him the links to the online installation guide and installation video and he said they could do it. I felt better because Tab frames are not like other RV's and I didn't want my axle damaged. A very good piece of advice given to me was to have the unit shipped directly to whomever was installing it. It comes in two boxes, both heavy. The manufacturer states a max 4 hour install. I negotiated an hour labor cost to cap off at four hours, no matter how much longer it might take them. I also spoke with the owner of Purple Line who said he would be available by phone for the tech installing it if they had any questions. That's great customer service! I suspect if you do get it you may wonder why you didn't do it sooner...I did!  :)
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart, thanks for the detailed information. I plan to call purpleline tomorrow and the RV place and see whether they're willing to tackle it. If not I'm hoping my dealer will be willing to. They're just a bit further away so I thought I'd try this one first. So is your clearance now extremely low and is it still okay? 
  • Options
    @geekmama so far it’s just fine, however I haven’t been camping yet. I had no problems with the dip at the bottom of my driveway coming in. She’s tucked in her shed for winter, so I’ll know more next spring. What I do know is that others who have them haven’t had clearance issues as far as I know. The only off-roading I ever do is backing into campsites. What I do know is that I’m saving my back from further damage(thank you age and lifestyle!) which is the most important thing. 
  • Options
    MarjimaeMarjimae Member Posts: 6
    geekmama said:
    @Homebodyatheart, thanks for the detailed information. I plan to call purpleline tomorrow and the RV place and see whether they're willing to tackle it. If not I'm hoping my dealer will be willing to. They're just a bit further away so I thought I'd try this one first. So is your clearance now extremely low and is it still okay? 
    Hi geekmama, I have a 2019 T@B CS-S (not BD) and want to install the Enduro trailer mover. Did you ever get yours installed and did it have enough clearance?
    2019 T@B 320 CS-S white/black
    2018 Toyota Highlander Limited silver
    So. CA