Trailer on ground for winter

GeetarzGeetarz Member Posts: 18
edited November 2019 in Trailer & Towing
Hi folks, I have a question for long snowy winters where the trailer is sitting for five months or so.  I was planning on simply backing the tires up over 2x10 boards, rather than have them on the gravel driveway during our long Vermont winter. Is this sufficient? I really could see no so.id-looking place on the frame to jack it up and place blocks below to get the tires off the ground. Advice? The dealer told me to lower the tongue jack all the way, then lower the rear stabilizers, then raise the tongue again all the way, then lower the front stabilizers to lift it off the ground.  I am suspicious that the stabilizers may not be designed to hold the weight of the trailer off the ground, and am hesitant to do this.
T@B 400 2020

Comments

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    From looking at your id pic, I see a 400.  If you look at your axle assy you will see a short frame on the axle where it mounts to the trailer frame.  A little over 18inches on both sides of the actual axle tube. This is where I jack up our 400.  Never on the tube.  I am considering using that point for some jack stands.  I don't think I would do it the way the dealer told you with the stabs.  NU Camp posted that way several years ago and it was for changing the tire on a 320.  The 400 is a bit heavier and the stabs are not designed to support that weight.  They are for stabilizing the T@B.  I got some molded jack pads that snap on to most common jack stands at Harbor freight and they protect the frame on the T@B.  The frame is a lighter weight and I am cautious about jacking behind the axle frame.  I plan to lower the tongue,  place the raised jack stand behind the axle frame then use the tongue jack to raise the nose then place additional jack stands in front of the axle on the axle frame.  will leave the tongue jack in that position.  Haven't done it yet though.  Just my thoughts on this procedure.( I have noticed that if you use the stabs to raise the T@B, it can twist the cabin to cause some miss alignment of the entry door.)
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • GeetarzGeetarz Member Posts: 18
    Thanks. I may just roll the rubber onto some 2x10 boards for the winter. The tires should be fine as long as they are not on the ground, unless someone here knows otherwise.
    T@B 400 2020
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Geetarz, I do exactly what you describe with my 320. I do lower the stabilizers as a mild theft deterrent, but they are not under any significant pressure. My T@B sits like that for close to seven months each year, and after five years I see no ill effect on the tires or suspension.
    2015 T@B S
  • denoveridenoveri Member Posts: 2
    In a winter situation, I think it would be wiser to have only three contact points between the trailer and the ground -- because of possible frost heave.
    Denis & Mariette from Rockland ON, Canada.
    2013 T@B-U
    2017 Ford Escape 2Liter Ecoboost

denoveri said:
    In a winter situation, I think it would be wiser to have only three contact points between the trailer and the ground -- because of possible frost heave.
    I agree with this. It's not a concern at my location, but if it was I would leave the stabilizers up.
    2015 T@B S
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    In Northern climes there is no harm in simply parking the trailer with the wheels on the ground. There is no need for stabilizers or lifting the wheels or axle. Parking on a few planks, sheet of plywood whatever is not essential but not a bad idea. A set of tires will last many years in all elements even if they do not receive special treatment. The most important thing to concern with is that there is adequate air pressure so that the sidewalls are not subjected to excessive loading. 
    As the tires age keep an eye on the tread for wear and watch for any signs of cracking in the sidewalls. 
    tabiphile said:
    In Northern climes there is no harm in simply parking the trailer with the wheels on the ground.
    That assumes they don't sink in during mud season...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I keep ours on the tires, with the stabilizers down (so we can play the occasional dominoes with coffee in there, over the winter), and I put planks under all points in case we want to take it out while things are still frozen.
    Easier to pry things off the frozen planks -- I'd be afraid they'd all stick hard to the bare dirt.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Thanks everyone. She’s on planks, and close enough to run power to if me and the mrs. want to enjoy some wine in there during the winter. The cover has door zips, for just that purpose.
    T@B 400 2020
    Ours has door zips too. Wish it had windows though!
    Geetarz said:
    Thanks everyone. She’s on planks, and close enough to run power to if me and the mrs. want to enjoy some wine in there during the winter. The cover has door zips, for just that purpose.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited November 2019
    ChanW, when I’m in there smootching with my gal, I’m glad there are no windows under the cover. :)
    T@B 400 2020
    Well.... In our back yard, only the deer and the rabbits would be watching. No chance they'd publish it on the web - I hope! B)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Careful @ChanW...

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2019
    Uh oh! Pretty darn bold bunnies in Ohio, there!
    Figures!
    I'll definitely keep my....
    Careful @ChanW...

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya