Options

Awning ?

Hi I am a newbie as we picked our Tab Outback this year and we used it five times and love it. We are now in the market for a quality awning that will hold up. From what I understand there are awnings to avoid due to shaky workmanship.  Could members recommend a quality one  Thanks Bohemian Bob

Comments

• Options
    tonyo35tonyo35 Member Posts: 16
    Also wondering if I should go for the bigger awning over the half moon style.  Thanks 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    I am not sure that I know of any awnings with poor workmanship. The old Thermarest side rooms are a hot item, but are hard to come by.

All Pro Adventures is the nuCamp retail company.  They offer a Shade Wing (visor), the standard awning and a more robust awning called the Sun Canopy.  The Walker tent is also offered.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9256/320-awning-from-all-pro-adventures

PahaQue makes custom TaB awnings, tents and visors.

https://pahaquecustom.com/collections/trailer-shades

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    If I understand you correctly, the "half moon style" is what is commonly called a visor. These come in different sizes and are best suited for providing shade in warm, dry, low wind environments.
    Awnings typically have sides that go all the way to the ground (at least in the front). These will provide better rain protection and stand up to stronger winds. The All Pro and PahaQue models Sharon mentions should both be quality choices.
    I have the PahaQue model and particularly like that it has roll-down flaps that allow both sides to go all the way to the ground. I encounter a variety of conditions including sun, heat, cold, rain, winds and bugs--the PahaQue works well for all these things.
    Like most things, it ultimately depends on how you camp and what you want your shelter to do.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @tonyo35 different awning styles meet different needs. I use my XL Pahaque visor for quick stays or if the campsite is really too small for my awning setup. I’ve also used it on the backside of the Tab for shade. Mostly I use my tarp awning as it offers me the most coverage for sun and rain. I’m not a fan of the sides on the Pahaque awning as I want the most visibility I can have. I’ve also got a popup awning that I rarely use but that fits over my Tab 320S if there’s no shade and it’s hot outside. You will figure out what your needs are based on your camping style, and that’s half the fun!  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I enjoy my Pahaque awning and XL visor.  However, the visor needs to be pegged down in the event of any wind.  If not, it will blow over the roof of the Tab and break the center fiberglass pole section.  The awning fabric is fairly light colored.  There is less airflow with the awning because of the side panels at the front.  For these two reasons, it can get hot sitting under it in the summer.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2019
    We originally tried a Pahaque visor XL on our 320s . It was ok, but we wanted a more substantial awning . While at a campground in Acadia Maine, we came across some great people from Canada who had a 400 with an Isabella awning on it . The quality blew us away ! The materials and hardware on the Isabella were a night and day difference from a Pahaque ! No fiberglass “tent”poles on the Isabella . We now have an Isabella on our 320 , and love it ! A little larger, and slightly more set-up time, but well worth it ( about double the price too !) ! It comes with a storage bag, and it does fit through the outside door into the storage compartment . 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    tonyo35tonyo35 Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2019
    thanks for the advice.  I am leaning towards the Pahaque as I like the option of dropping down the sides. Sounds like it would give us more space when the weather is [bad].  The All Pro does not have that option.  Great forum but I miss our Tab as it is in storage.   Bob
  • Options
    CJ400CJ400 Member Posts: 4
    Hi there,
    We have a 2018,Tab 400 and have chosen the All pro visor and All pro awning, we had a wind issue with the visor that caused some damage to the pole which was very disappointing, as we are Canadian and you can just about double the retail price by the time it is delivered to your door.
    I contacted All pro and Elton helped us out beyond expectation, I don't think many business this day and age would care about their customers like Elton does. My recommendation would be to give All Pro Adventures  another look.

Chad
  • Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    edited December 2019
    We have the All Pro on our 400. It takes some effort to set it up but we really like it........

Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
    edited August 2020
    Will just say this .......... After having a Pahaque , AND now,  an Isabella  - there is NO comparison . The Isabella is worlds away better in quality, craftsmanship, materials and durability  over a Pahaque .
    Think "backpacking/tent" = Pahaque , vs "shelter/awning" = Isabella .
    The Pahaque has cheap tent type material and uses a tent style fiberglass shock corded support rod (which is prone to breakage). The Isabella has heavier waterproof canvas type of material (think marine style) , and Aluminum and Fiberglass adjustable pole / rod supports . 
    The All Pro "in house" one seems to bridge the gap between them . Never seen one in person, but in looking at the picture above that Michael49 posted, it looks much better than a Pahaque , but maybe not quite an Isabella ? Still looks pretty nice , but getting pretty close to the Isabella in price .  

The only awning (currently made), which is even better than the Isabella , is a Walker . 
    The Walker is insanely expensive, but it is really nice ! 

Here are a couple pictures of the Isabella (ALL Pro Deluxe T@B Sun Canopy) on our 320 . Not a full set-up , just put it up for a quick picture for you as our T@B is in inside storage right now. 

The Isabella uses 5 adjustable fiberglass support rods , and the front support rod is aluminum . Notice how the aluminum front support even is contoured to match the profile of the T@B . All of it is very high quality ......every single part . 

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited January 2020
    B0atguy said:
    The All Pro "in house" one seems to bridge the gap between them . Never seen one in person, but in looking at the picture above that Michael49 posted, it looks much better than a Pahaque , but maybe not quite an Isabella ? Still looks pretty nice , but getting pretty close to the Isabella in price
    Looks like the made-in-Ohio All Pro models are 25-40% less.

What is baffling to me -- and why I won't buy one -- is no one has figured out the simple way to reinforce the design and make them fully weather proof. If they did that All Pro wouldn't need to add this disclaimer -- 
    "this [All Pro model] does not perform in windy situations like the Deluxe Sun Canopy [Isabella] with aluminum poles. So you will be taking them down more frequently in case of weather conditions."

Solution? Add crisscrossing arched poles from T@B handle to ground with the third arched pole at the front. 
    Problem solved -- a sturdy all-weather design that will handle storms just like countless other tent/shelter designs --
    preferably with DAC press-fit featherweight aluminum poles.
    Another design requirement would be telescoping feet for pitching on uneven or sloping terrain.
    I'd pay Isabella-level pricing for something like this which would be half the weight and easy to setup
    All Pro Awning Version 2.0 anyone?

I tried to interest Big Agnes in offering a universal canopy/screen room/tent design with vented top and vestibule connectors to accommodate most brand/model teardrops, but they're focused on backpackers. Perhaps as they age and lose interest in sleeping on the ground they'll understand the market potential. B)

In the meantime we'll make do with a jerry-rigged $99 King Camp canopy (aka Hasika). It does the job as a rain shelter for a CS galley or side entrance door.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    jsinc363jsinc363 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone use a regular old tarp somehow rigged on their T@b? I just bought my 2020 320 S and don't want to buy the visor, Walker or Isabella right now.
    2020 T@b 320 S | 2019 Chevy Blazer V6 | Indiana
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @jsinc363, use the search function in the upper right hand side of your screen. Type in the words tarp and keder rail. You will get many threads with ideas and pictures. Also try the words homemade awning. Loads of info and ideas here. Learn to use the search function often it is your friend. Good luck and enjoy!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    jsinc363 said:
    Does anyone use a regular old tarp somehow rigged on their T@b? I just bought my 2020 320 S and don't want to buy the visor, Walker or Isabella right now.
    I just use a basic 10 x 10 canopy I got at Dick's Sporting goods- and set it up alongside my T@B.  Seems to work just fine.  If it's windy- I bungie the legs to the grab handles.  $500 for the Pahaque seems ridiculous for what it is.  I don't get it.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    @jsinc363 I do! My original was 8x10, I upgraded to a 10x12’ tarp. Search “Larry’s Red Neck Front Porch here. This is his creation, I’ve modified it for me. I love it! I use lag screws for stakes(no hammering, use a cordless drill!) sewed the tarp to keder rope(Amazon) and it withstands winds to 50mph, between 60-70mph gusts it starts to pull away from the keder rail. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thank you so much! that is exactly what I want to do but didn't know how to do it. I will search Larry’s Red Neck Front Porch. BTW - your T@b is so cute!!
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited January 2020
    For those of us who are sewing challenged :s and don't mind a keder-less solution try an Amazon search for a King Camp Canopy/Awning (Compass model) at $100, or similar version with side wall called Offroading Gear Shelter at $120, or King Camp Sun Shelter (Catania model) that includes sidewalls and a door at $120. 
    Any of these units can be rigged to rest on the roof of a T@B and anchored with included cords/bungees. 
    There's no chance rain will pool on top like it can with a tarp awning or the keder visor.
    For photos showing setup as a galley shelter on back of a CS or side entrance on a Max S see these links:

@db_cooper 's side-mounted KingCamp Compass on a Max S Outback with a useful warning:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/116981/#Comment_116981

@Sharon_is_SAM 's Laputa (Compass style) galley shelter on a CS:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/115025/#Comment_115025

@Sboatcruise 's KingCamp Catania in use on a Max S I believe:: 
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/114683/#Comment_114683

@Tabaz 's multi-use take on the Offroading Gear Shelter as a full sun shade: 
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/120339#Comment_120339

Videos --
    Compass model mounted on a Casita (same idea; works/looks better on a T@B):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDYFFp_aFI
    Compass setup steps on back of a SUV: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLuum97zm2M

So for about $100 you end up with a multi-use shelter that packs into a small case that weighs less than 10 lbs.
    What's not to like? B)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Homebodyatheart - I couldn't find in Search function “Larry’s Red Neck Front Porch"; however, I did find several comments on this topic. I wanted to ask you about the poles you are using. They look pretty sturdy. Did you get them on Amazon?  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jsinc363 , search for “Redneck porch”.  Larry, a.k.a. RZRBUG, was known for “inventing” simpler, less expensive ways to provide accessories to his beloved T@B. Unfortunately, his time on this earth was shorter than expected, otherwise he would still have the rest of us laughing and mulling over the meaning of his country poetry. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @jsinc363 they are collapsing painters poles from the hardware store. I bought one longer one to put up in the middle to prevent a massive pool during rainstorms. I put a tennis ball on the top to keep from damaging the tarp. I prefer this to the three poles at the far end. I also use carabiners to connect the tarp grommets to the poles. Much simpler! 

@Verna Larry was a special one of a kind guy. I miss his posts, wisdom and humor!
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2020
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    @WilliamA thanks to @Dalehelman I no longer dread or pound in ground stakes! These lag screws and a cordless drill make the job easy, and my tarp awning has consistently withstood winds and microburst gusts up to 50-60mph. At 70mph gusts the stakes held but the awning started to pull out at the keder rail leading edge. 7” screws for most soil, 10” for wetter soil. I’ve never regretted them! 
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Awesome idea?  They'd also work great in Rocky soil!  

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    WilliamA said:
    Awesome idea?  They'd also work great in Rocky soil!  

WilliamA
    I use them with big fender washers.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    edited January 2020
    A better tent stake

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3282/a-better-tent-stake

A 10 year old Isabella Sun Canopy still going strong and a King Camp on our CS kitchen.
    The Sun Canopy always pitches tight and straight.  It withstands most wind we have encountered with just the two outer corners anchored.  We are able to leave it up long after most others have taken down or retracted their shelters and awnings. 

• Options
    @rfuss928 while that’s a great idea and use of recycled items, for me it wouldn’t be practical as I’ve got a few health issues and some days my hands work better than others. For me, being able to use my cordless drill is a game changer. I love your setup!
  • Options
    You guys are the best! Thanks for all the info. I love my 2020 T@b and I love this Community!
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited June 2020
    This is less an awning, and more a sunshade (70% solar block 10x20 tarp for greenhouses, chicken coops, etc).  The Texas unblocked sun when it is above 95F and >10UV makes even a 6500BTU air conditioner struggle to keep the cabin below 80F.

When a tree isn't handy, this screen still lets me get 5A charge off the solar panels, but the cabin stays 5-10F cooler.  Easy to reposition as the sun moves.  And I guess it could double as a redneck awning support with a regular tarp by swinging it all the way over to one side.  In winds over 10-15 mph from the side though I need to add a stake or two and some twine.

I'm using 165lb truss clamps on the T@B handles, but have replaced the normal bolt with a 4" long half inch carriage bolt and some tape to wedge it in a steel 6' five segment tent pole at each corner of the T@B.  I figured if we can move the camper around with those handles, they ought to be able to support a 3lb tarp.  Total cost under $100, and takes hardly any space to stow.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I know it would block your solar panels, but I wonder if it would be cooler if you taped/glued those thin silver mylar rescue blankets hikers carry onto the black mesh?

Of course you may blind neighbors with the reflecting sun!
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Tampakayaker ; And when wind gets under the mylar tarp would there be enough lift to carry the T@B into a nearby tree top?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max