Options

Rear view camera helpful or critical when hooking T@B to TV?

LehfeldtLehfeldt Member Posts: 20
Hi friends, 

I'm new here, about to get a new T@B Max Q. I am slowly getting my newbie accessories, and have been wondering how useful the rear view camera on your TV is in hooking up your T@B?

Thanks, Chris
Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I wouldn't add one to a vehicle, but I can tell you I love the one built into the latch on the tailgate of my Tacoma.  I've always used magnetic poles (one on the hitch and one on the ball) and when one falls over, then I'm close enough to be able to hitch up.  

And, welcome to the world of towing, and the world of camping in a T@B. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited May 2015
    I have one on my f150.  I can back up the truck and place the hitch ball directly under the hitch every time without fail on the first try. No skill required. I love jobs like that.  Do you need it, no way, it just means ya practice a few times and get out and double check if you need to. Or.........travel with someone and they can be the spotter.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Ditto to Verna!  I can back up first try to within an inch on my own with our Tacoma...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    It's great for hitching up. Makes it look like I know what I'm doing! However, the Tab's so easy to move by hand, that the camera's not really necessary at all.

The camera is great without the trailer too though, especially squeezing into impossible parking spots in the city.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I have one on my Honda Pilot and line up the hitch like a pro every time. In my opinion it takes the stress out of hitching so is well worth it. It's also fantastic for parking in tight spots. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My Jeep is the same width fender to fender as the T@B so lineing up is pretty easy, then I back up ever so slowly until the receiver taps the T@B hitch. Works like a champ. So, if your TV is like my Jeep, I wouldn't waste the money otherwise maybe. Or, I may just do like someone here in the forums does and put my iPhone back there and do a video chat with my iPad - instant backup camera.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to see that backing up the Wrangler and aligning it with the T@b was so easy.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    y2kdaddioy2kdaddio Member Posts: 20
    I got one of these at Harbor Freight.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-69778.html

Makes it very easy to back up to the trailer and much cheaper than a TV camera.

• Options
    Patti - You can buy little telescoping magnetic poles that have tennis ball like tops - you put one on the TV hitch and the other on the T@B. You back up with the balls aligned (you can see them because the telescope up) and when they touch you're good to hitch up. Can get them at Walmart for probably $10.
  • Options
    From what I have seen, the Camco version is a little sturdier than the HF version, though both are a little flimsey

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    With a little experience and seeing how your vehicle squares up with the T@B - Jenn & my Jeeps are pretty close to the same width - you may be able to ditch the balls.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I cannot find the magnetic poles on Camping World's webpage.  The ones I'm referring to are about 3' tall, are bright neon yellow with a red tip and magnets on the bottom.  They work better with the larger tow vehicles such as SUV's and trucks with tailgates.  They cost $22 at the store.  I gave my brother my set because I don't need them with my built-in back-up camera on the Tacoma.  They are extremely sturdy, made of fiberglass, and so much easier to see and use than the tennis ball magnetic telescopic poles that broke the first time I used them.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    But the concept's the same with either the cheapie or the fiberglass versions and a lot cheaper than a backup camera.
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Just found this very helpful post, as I have been experimenting with a backup camera.  I didn't want to spend the $$ to enable/install on the Wrangler's GPS, so I bought a wireless license plate one on impulse.  It's not going to work because of the location of the Jeep's license plate, spare tire, etc.  
    I have learned how to align the Jeep's brake light to the T@B logo, but haven't quite figured out the distance.
    I like the idea of these magnetic poles.  Here are the Camco ones on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007772HG4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001F4MQYI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RJQMNK5A4STJV711V61
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    Beth, I think the Wrangler Unlimited is quite easy to back up to the trailer due to them being the same width as the T@b. I had those magnetic rods, and they did work well, until they broke. I didn't replace them and am now getting much better at backing up to hitch more quickly. I love that with a T@b, you just have to be close.

• Options
    I find the Wrangler is almost the exact same width as the T@B so is easy to center. For distance, I jack the T@B hitch high enough to clear the ball on the Jeep and then ever so slowly back up until the Jeep hitch taps the T@B hitch. At that point you can easily jiggle the hitch onto the ball as you're no more than an inch off.
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Thanks! Maybe I'll just forego the magnets and do more maneuvering practice.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    Here's a pic - You can see my tap marks :-)