Options

First big trip - I’m in love!

SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
edited January 2020 in Camping & Travel

I finally worked up the courage to take my 320 on a long trip, driving from TX to AZ to visit family for the holidays. It was a Griswald’s Christmas Vacation parked in my SIL’s front yard  
Edited for photo size.

I am so in love with my trailer!!!!! 
When I first picked it up last May, my hitch ball wasn’t low enough. The dealership had an 8” drop, but said I really needed a 10” for my Subaru Ascent. On the drive home, the trailer felt “bucky” at variable speeds. I’ve since gotten the right hitch and moved the spare to the front. It tows PERFECTLY. 
We traveled with our three dogs, so I loved being able to stop at rest areas where we could do our business in the trailer and then have more room outside for the dogs to do theirs.
The Alde heater worked great to keep the temps in the 50s for sleeping. Everything else is still winterized. I’ve slept in it every night. I think my SIL thought I was crazy until we ditched the kids and spent the night at a local Harvest Host winery.  B
We had another T@bber wave to us on the I-10 and we had curious travelers asking Qs at almost every stop.
I can’t wait to plan my next trip now that my newbie jitters are under control. 
Happy New Year, y’all!
2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Congrats @ SubaruLou!  Your sentiments are shared by many TaB owners.  Start planning!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    I also have a Subaru Ascent as a tow vehicle and it was purchased with the dealer installed hitch. We have a 320 Boondock with the spare mounted on the front. Who did you purchase you new hitch from? We have a lot of clicking noise and the ocassional bucking when driving but just assumed that was normal. How much of a difference did it make with a 10" drop? Lastly if you dont mind me asking how much did the new hitch cost you?
    2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    I found the stock hitch that came with the Ascent towing package was just about spot-on level with my 2020 320 Boondock Lite. There was a good bit of noise from the hitch which was a little concerning but using a hitch tightener solved the issue. Solid and quiet towing now.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    What is a hitch tightener? 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @RayJim You’re welcome! I’d perish without the search field in the upper right.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    i did not know how much level towing can make a difference.    i was just 1 inch too high.  i can down by just 1 inch and it made a world of a difference in my towing experience !  so put a level on that tongue and check if you are level once you are hooked and loaded. 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @RayJim we had an Ascent and towing was a nightmare for me. I measured and bought a 10” drop hitch and my 320S bounced like a cork. I bought a hitch tightener, had my mechanic put it on and  tighten it (he’s stronger) and by the time I towed home and an hour to the campground it had totally come loose, leaving the Tab bouncing all over again. Someone in the campground help me tighten it so that I Could go tow home, the hitch tightener stayed tight but the tab bounce just enough that the steering wheel was fighting me because of the anti-sway control built-in to the ascent. From looking at the Facebook Subaru ascent page some people who tow have absolutely no problem, and some of us have nothing but problems. For me there was too much wiggle room once the stinger went in the receiver, not s snug fit. We traded the Subaru in for a Rav4 Hybrid and I will continue to tow with our 2015 Highlander, which tows like a dream! Good luck!

ps-I’ve got a 10” drop hitch I’ll sell for cheap plus shipping...
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    RayJim said:
    I also have a Subaru Ascent as a tow vehicle and it was purchased with the dealer installed hitch. We have a 320 Boondock with the spare mounted on the front. Who did you purchase you new hitch from? We have a lot of clicking noise and the ocassional bucking when driving but just assumed that was normal. How much of a difference did it make with a 10" drop? Lastly if you dont mind me asking how much did the new hitch cost you?
    @RayJim, I have the factory installed tow package on my Ascent. I use a locking, rattle reducing pin on the hitch: motormic Trailer Hitch Lock Pin Set - 5/8" and 1/2" Extra Long Black Pins with One Locking System - 1 Safety Clip, 10 Anti Rattle O-Rings - Tow receivers 1.25", 2" and 2.5 inch (Class I,II,III,IV,V)  by motormic Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GB17XD7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ehlgEbV3NMGGG
    The 10" drop hitch is just a CURT class 3. You have a Boondock though, so you may only need an 8" drop. 
    What do you have your brake controller set at? I have the Tokonsha P3 and I found that I had to turn it way down. It made almost a clicking sound when the brake would lock up. I'm wondering if your controller is set too high?
    I drove my trailer back to storage yesterday, and I noticed the trailer more. I think with empty tanks and no gear, it just bounces around more because it's so light. Have you driven it much loaded?
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    @RayJim @SubaruLou I forgot to mention above that in the ascent manual it states in the towing section that only Subaru parts are to be used for towing anything. Subaru only makes that short 2 inch drop hitch, so any other depth hitch is an aftermarket product. That was really the tipping point for me in trading in the ascent because I did not want to have a warranty problem if I ever had problems from towing. I have never seen another manual that states
    you must use their parts when towing.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart @SubaruLou I have a Prodigy P2 not sure what the setting is have not changed the setting since it was installed at Tom's Camperland in Mesa Arizona. I have notice though when I went dry camping and loaded up the water tank there was not nearly as much clicking and bucking going on. In addition to loading up the water tank I also had two large coolers filled and strapped to the front rack increasing the weight in the front  end significantly. Did not realize that after market hitches void the warranty of the Ascent. It is not that bad, I would assume there must be some inherent clicking and bucking with a trailer, I don't think I will be able to eliminate either completely. Thanks for the input, much appreciated. 
  • Options
    @RayJim glad you’re learning weight distribution for best towing. It seems to be a changing art form depending on what’s loaded each trip. 

I specifically do not know that using an aftermarket hitch will void your warranty, however I strongly suspect it will. Subaru service in a number of locations seems to have a stock response when you present them with an issue that isn’t glaring. I’ve seen others post exactly what my service guys have told me on more than one quirk...”we’ve never heard of that (whatever) before as being a problem.” I’m not usually a cynic but when another Subaru owner in another part of the US is getting the exact same answer I am, I loose trust in the service department in general.