Options

2019 T@B 400 BDL, under bed storage

We have a T@B 400 BDL 2019 and my wife is tired of having to lift the center mattress and support to gain access to the under bed storage area.  Has anyone installed Hatchlift rods to help lifting and holding open the center section?  If so, could you send some instructions/pictures to how you accomplished the task?
2019 T@B 400 BDL
2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
Niceville, Florida

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The late 2019 models came with gas struts on the center section. I would get the parts from your dealer and install those.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have the struts on my 2019 tab 400 but I am away from it at the moment. Won't be able to take pics for a few weeks.
    With the extra 2" topper it struggles to hold up. I may add another to help.
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    edited January 2020
    My mid-2019 model year (NOV 2018 build) had the struts mounted from the factory. 

The installation was poorly thought out however.  I had to move the attachment brackets.  I moved the upper attachment down by 4.5" to allow the bed to raise a bit higher.  Without that the edge of the bed was right at my nose.  Now it is completely out of the way.

The lower attachment brackets were poorly installed also.  Both brackets were installed upside down and the left bracket was only held by two screws--both on the very edge of the 2x4.  I also moved the lower brackets back about an inch.

I don't have the part numbers.  Call Elsie at nuCamp and she will give them to you.  Then call a dealer and check the cost.  It might be easier to get them at an auto parts store though--certainly cheaper!  The strut body is 12" long and full extension is 20."  About 25 lbs of force will do it.  You will also need to install a couple of cabinet magnets on the front to keep the hatch closed.
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Interesting, my December 2019 tab doesn't have any magnetic catches, but with the topper it doesn't need them in my case. Good idea moving the top brackets for more height I will do that on mine. Thanks.
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    Stopped by O'Reilly Auto parts today and they have struts but none with the mounting brackets.  Second stop was Lowes and again, struck out.  I did call Elsie and FYI the part numbers are C16-08260.  Closest dealership to me is AL, but I'll can and see if they can order and ship direct to me.  Thank you all for the comments. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    If @falcon1970 could take a clear picture of the label on the gas strut, they can be had on Amazon, it's a Suspa brand strut.
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    OK, here are two pics of the label on the gas struts under the bed on my 2019 TAB400.  I am surprised to see they are rated at 60 lbs.
    I believe this is the spring on the Suspa website:  https://shop.suspa.com/c16-08260-gas-spring-p66.aspx.

• Options
    simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    Thanks so much for the info.
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Does anybody have the number for the strut on the front tub? I wonder if I can pick one of them up locally.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    edited January 2020
    The nuCamp part numbers and prices are:

Arm—56004267 $9.20
    Top Bracket—56004268 $2.10
    Bottom Bracket—56004269 $2.10

The Suspa part number is: 
    C16-33316
    it is a 35lb force.

The problem I had in buying locally was finding the upper and lower attachment brackets.  In addition, Suspa doesn't list this particular spring arm on their web site--not to mention their prices are sky high.

I suggest you find a nuCamp dealer who doesn't inflate their profit margin on parts and order from them.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Parts markup

Here is my experience with dealers and their markup. One owner complained on the forum about an extreme markup. I contacted nüCamp and they were not happy to hear about the high markup. The dealer was contacted by nüCamp. 

It turned out to be a difference between inches and feet (as I recall). Inches were needed for the part, but the dealer gave the price as per the entire package and the price difference was considerable. Inches were calculated and sold and the owner was happy. 

If nüCamp hears about extreme markups, they will take care of it.

nüCamp does like their owners and wants to keep their business. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132