Window awning maker 320

TaterTater Member Posts: 134
edited February 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I can’t sew lick is there anyone on this form that can make me some openings for my windows

thanks
2019 320S Boondock Edge

Comments

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I got mine from ShinersView on Etsy. Not only is Lisa incredibly easy to work with, but the quality of her craftsmanship is excellent. She’ll point you towards the type of fabrics you can choose from, you aren’t necessarily limited to those shown in her listings. Not cheap, but was worth every penny to me.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/488558326/3-window-tb-320-trailer-window-awnings?ref=shop_home_active_51&frs=1
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • TaterTater Member Posts: 134
    Great !!!  Thank you
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    You can also make a no-sew set from a vinyl tablecloth.  I've hand sewn several through the years, and it's pretty simple if you don't want a backing.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Although I haven't used the etsy seller mentioned above, I have heard good things about her work. Her prices seem reasonable to me. I made my own out of Sunbrella fabric and Tenara thread. VERY expensive and time consuming. They turned out great, but I wouldn't want to do it again!  ;) 

My only useful input here is when having someone make them for you, ask for Sunbrella (or equivalent) quality fabric with thread that won't rot. You don't want faded fabric after a summer in the sun and rotted thread and have to pay to replace them.

2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Lisa (Shiners View) made my awnings and she was great to work with.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I know another visor/awning maker has been used by forum members, but don’t know if she’s still available-Doty Hill Designs.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    jgram2 said:
    I know another visor/awning maker has been used by forum members, but don’t know if she’s still available-Doty Hill Designs.
    Unfortunately she’s only doing visors, not window awnings. https://www.dotyhilldesigns.com/
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @VictoriaP thanks for that update!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Thanks all !!   Love both the striped awnings. 
    Where did you guys get the fabric ?

thanks Tater 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    edited February 2020
    I got mine from "howepc" on eBay. A very reputable seller with excellent customer service. I live in my T@B fulltime, so the shades have been on in sun, wind rain, bird poop, etc. and are doing great. I made some small modifications and the windows will lock closed with them on. I have "average" level sewing skills, and I'd say if you are not confident in handling difficult fabrics (Sunbrella "Awning" fabric is pretty stiff) then having a pro make them might save your sanity. 
    Also, get fabric "samples" if you are particular about color. I completely changed my mind on a style after I saw it in person.
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
    I can’t see at all !!  I can make a cabinet or stile a bathroom but sewing no way :)

thanks for the help !! I’ll get a professional. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Tater said:
    Thanks all !!   Love both the striped awnings. 
    Where did you guys get the fabric ?

thanks Tater 
    If you contact Lisa (Shiners View) she will send you information about fabric selection. The choices are pretty limitless. I had a particular fabric that I wanted to use to match something I already had, and she worked with yardage that I had sent directly to her from the vendor. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    edited March 2021
    Here's my first attempt, using 'outdoor fabric', similar to Sunbrella. This type of fabric is usually coarse-woven polyester, sometimes also water repellent. I bought sale fabric ($6/yard) for my first attempt. I'm mostly happy with the end result, although for the second one, I'm going to try a scalloped edge instead of the the notches. I used one piece of fabric so that the lining is the same as the exterior. I really like how much light it lets in trailer, even on a cloudy day!

2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    How is the awning attached?
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    edited March 2021
    Hi @trimtab - I downloaded this pattern from a link on this forum that I can no longer find (sorry moderators for duplicating content). There is 1 strap with a velcro attachment that runs across the width 1" from the top edge and an elastic that runs across the width 16" from the top edge. You need to place the elastic so that it is close to the bottom but does not foul the window latches.
  • trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    ok, got it, thanks!  Enjoy your outings!
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    I made the 2nd awning with the pointed edge like @Marceline's above. Quicker, much less fiddly and it meant I could use the serger sewing machine throughout except for the top stitching and velcro placement :)