Options

Lithium Ion Batteries

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/lithium-rv-deep-cycle.php

Does anyone know about lithium ion batteries? According to the literature they are 70% lighter than convential batts, last 3000 - 5000 cycles, can be run completely down. They are maintenance free and are expensive. But they are the same size as convential. But if they work as claimed they may be a better alternative to the 6 volt option. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to electrical matters. What do you think?

Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

"Gone with the Wynne" and Technomadia have blogged about this. I don't see the value unless you do a lot of boondocking or are FT in your T@b. Here are some pets from Technomadia: http://www.technomadia.com/?s=lithium

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Thats true jkjen. Thats why I tied it in as an alternative to 2 x 6v to increase boondocking time. Seems easier to simply drop in a lithium battery than to make some of the modification some have made. Not to mention the weight savings. And when you consider the 6v costs they may not be morecostly.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Scott, check out the 3 year report from the Technomads. It seems they are not getting the battery life from the Li batteries they expected. I think these are the future, but might not be quite ready for primetime, yet. I wish they were.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Scott, not trying to argue, but this is the way I see the difference.  To duplicate what I have planned (what Norm is doing this week), it would cost me between $2,400 to $3,500 for one lithium ion battery, according to your website. My two 6V golf cart batteries will cost me between $300 to $350, maybe another $25 for battery boxes, so around $400 for both of them. I've read that I can get 3 to 5 years out of the golf cart batteries, taking care of them the way I do with my 100 ah AGM battery currently. . So, I can easily buy golf cart batteries for the next 12 to 18 years for today's prices for one  lithium vs wet cell batteries. 

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my DeWalt drill/driver set with the 20V lithium ion batteries. WOW! To only have to charge them 2 or 3 times a year, instead of 2 or 3 times a week for my old 12V or 14.4V Ni-Cad batteries is marvelous. I think within 5 to 7 years the larger lithium batteries may be within our price range, but I sure can't justify the price difference today. 

Thanks for for the website and price sheet. It's an eye opener. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Verna no argument!  I asked for those more knowledgeable than me to opine. Thanks for your response. I guess lithium will someday be viable but perhaps not yet. 
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Scott, not trying to argue, but this is the way I see the difference.  To duplicate what I have planned (what Norm is doing this week), it would cost me between $2,400 to $3,500 for one lithium ion battery, according to your website. My two 6V golf cart batteries will cost me between $300 to $350, maybe another $25 for battery boxes, so around $400 for both of them. I've read that I can get 3 to 5 years out of the golf cart batteries, taking care of them the way I do with my 100 ah AGM battery currently. . So, I can easily buy golf cart batteries for the next 12 to 18 years for today's prices for one  lithium vs wet cell batteries. 

...I think within 5 to 7 years the larger lithium batteries may be within our price range, but I sure can't justify the price difference today. 

This is an excellent summary, Verna. ^

I think where Li batteries have taken hold in the RV industry is with the bigger rigs, who require larger battery capacities. These usually run 50 amp service. They power appliances- dishwashers, bigger fridges, microwaves, and sometimes laundry.

I am glad you posted this, though, Scott. It helped me think through my set-up and I will be upgrading to the golf cart batteries sometime over the next year and this helped me solidify the decision. Next the how...

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I've also researched these.  Still WAAAAAAY out of my price range, even when compared to Lifeline AGMs.

Keep in mind that the capacities are not directly comparable.  A 2x6volt golf cart battery combo that's rated at 260 AH, is actually able to deliver only 130 AH if you drain them down to 50% (the max recommended).

Lithium ions can be drained 100% without incident.  So a 150 AH lithium ion has more capacity in this instance.

Still, the prices are outrageous for a still-maturing market.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2015
    Here's an interesting article about the new Tesla Grid batteries - two different lithiums with two different chemistries for two different types of power...somewhat like cranking power vs deep cycle...and expensive...
    http://fortune.com/2015/05/18/tesla-grid-batteries-chemistry/