Options

Has Anyone Installed a Smaller Propane Tank?

Hi, I rarely use propane and I have an 11# tank I would like to mount instead of the original 20# tank. Has anyone switched out the 20# for an 11# model. 

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    That was one of the first changes I made - no regrets.  Lots of cooking, a little heating about 60 nights out a season.  I refill once a season.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2020
    Yes. We have two 11# tanks (only one fits in our tub), b/c I wanted to be able to swap one out when necessary, to take to get it filled.

Remember that that the cylinder 'rack' will need some modification to hold the smaller tank.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2020
    ok, great. Can anyone share how they modified the mounting mechanism to fit the smaller tank? I don't think I can really modify the one that came with it for the 20# tank. 

ChanW  where do you keep the second tank? 

Also, there are two different shaped 11# tanks.  The one that is flattened down, and the regular vertical one.  Which one do you think is best to use in the space and easiest to secure?
  • Options
    pakpak Member Posts: 114
    Great idea, this never occurred to me. Thanks
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2020
    I had to completely fabricate a new rack for the smaller propane tank. I used the tall thinner tank because I needed room for the batteries. It's really a bit over-built, it could be done simpler. Here's a picture of it, which shows it a little bit:

There's a flange-type ring at the bottom to prevent the cylinder bottom from kicking out, and a flange type ring Midway up the tank to secure it. I found the angle rings here: http://anglerings.com/.

Again though, I don't think it needs to be as fancy as I made it.

I keep the second tank in the back of the truck, strapped to my utility box, using a common propane-tank retainer strap.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Perfect thanks! This is very helpful!!