Options

Experience with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi TV for 400 please - I did it!

AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
edited March 2020 in Trailer & Towing
There are lots of great TV options out there and my intent is not to disparage anyone else's choices. After the safety aspect of towing, we all have our personal preferences. There are Fords, Toyotas, Hondas, etc that do a perfectly fine job. After driving Jeeps for over 30 years (aware the brand has changed ownership more than a few times..), I'm comfortable and really like the Dodge/Ram/Jeep style and interior setup. I've test driven nearly everything you can imagine lately, to research my options and I've settled on a 2019 or 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab 4x4 model. I tow in the mountains in Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah, hoping to get to Arizona soon. Although I try not to tow in big cities, or Intersate Highways, sometimes that option is the 'best'.

I saw mentions of Ram 1500s in other threads, but didn't want to hijack anyone's thread and wanted *specific* feedback regarding towing a 400 (Boondock or not) with a newer Ram 1500 V8. The model and options I'm considering has a rating of 11,470 pounds, factory setup. I know what my 400 BD axle rating is (3900 lbs), and don't plan to overload it or the tongue, but as a fulltimer, I'm feeling I need more TV capacity, in room and in safety margin. Again, just my preference, not disparaging anyone else's choices.

Funds are not unlimited, so before I go too crazy with research, I'd like to hear actual experiences please. I respect the knowledge and willingness to help others on here, so I'm putting this request out there.
 :) 
2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You could safely tow an Avia with that TV rig, a TaB400 wouldn’t even slow it down.
    I have been towing my TaB409 with a Jeep Gladiator, similar rear ended suspension to a Ram 1500), with only the V6 Penstar engine and it works fine also, but you can feel the TaB load on steep hills.  Just get the electric brake controller installed, and you should be good to go.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thank you @Denny16. I would totally go Gladiator, But one never knows what the future holds. I like to have the options.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Not that I own a 400 or a truck ( of any kind). But I like your way of thinking...always better to be bigger than what you need...like you said it gives you options for the future...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Ok, I did it! Traded in my beloved JLUR for a new 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4 Crew Cab, 5.7L Hemi, factory Tow Package. Absolutely night and day difference. The Ram has so much power and stability, that I can't tell the 400 is back there, even on a hill. Now I can haul a full load of water safely!  B)

I've had only Jeeps for over 30 years, and know next to nothing about pickup trucks. Can anyone out there tell me how long my drawbar (ball mount?) needs to be please? I had a super long one (16") to clear the spare tire on the Wrangler, but purchased a shorter one for the Ram, 8" 8000lb rating, and the ball is rated for 6000lbs. I just don't want the tongue to hit the Truck bumber in a tight turn or backing. My drop is good, because I'm level fully loaded.

What length should I have?

(Pic below is with the 16" draw bar ball mount -too long)

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Amazonica, congrats on your new tow vehicle!  A very good decision for your safety and that of your 400.  I’ve always loved the mid-sized trucks, but I realized the Tacoma just wasn’t quite enough for the Canadian Rockies last summer. I hated getting rid of the Tacoma, but it was a good decision on my part. Just because the specs said the Tacoma was capable of towing the 400 didn’t mean it was the a good idea. 

The length of my drawbar (2019 F-150) was determined by how much space I needed for the tailgate to lie flat when opened. I ordered a 14 1/2” length drawbar, not an extender. My tailgate lays flat now. 

Try your short one, try your long one and see which fits with the tailgate down. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Congratulations, I use the standard length (on the short side) ball mount (with a 2-inch drop) on my Jeep Gladiator truck, works great, all you need to do is clear the bumper with the trailer hitch connection,  and you will not hit the bumper making normal turns, or backing up.  It would take an extreme turn (known as jack knifing) to hit the truck with the trailer front frame.  I can still open the tailgate to the 45-degree stop, and do not need to fully open it while hooked up.

I was concerned about this, and my hitch looked a little short, but it works.  The shorter the truck connection the better (you increase the tongue weight when you extend the hitch point back from the truck).  I took my setup, the JT and TaB400 over some narrow mountain roads in NorCal Hwy 1, no issues in the 180-degree switchbacks, the TaB just followed along behind.
    cheers
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Thank you @Verna:) It was good experience towing at a vehicle's max. My own personal opinion is (not to put anyone else's choices down) I'd rather have a larger safety margin than I did with the Wrangler.

I know already that the 16" drawbar I had (in the photo above) does not allow my tailgate to open flat - it hits the tongue jack. I'm uncomfortable going longer than that. No extenders, thanks to the knowledge shared on here. 
  • Options
    @Amazonica, yes, the safety margin gives us a feel good feeling after a near miss.....

If you go to a truck accessory shop, see if they can order a longer non-extension bar. Tillman’s in Greenwood, IN had to continue looking for about 5 minutes until he found that Curt did have the 14 1/2” bar.  They really have to look through their computerized lists. 

There are times that you need to have a flat tailgate—pulling my fully loaded ARB out of the truck bed is one time it is a must. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thank you @Denny16. I appreciate your experience and am a bit envious. =) I really wanted a Gladiator just like my JLUR (like the one in the Groundhog Day commercial) but it was muy mucho mas $$$. I like my comforts, heated steering wheel, Nav, etc and got a similarly equipped Ram for $10k less than an awesome Gladiator. I will always be a Jeep Gal at heart.

I'm getting ready to leave my campsite in the morning and tow for the first time with the 'short' 8" drawbar. I guess we'll know soon. ;)
    I'm the worst backer-upper in history, and had 'jack-knifed' the wrangler/400 once while backing. Luckily I had that 16" drawbar, so no real harm. 
  • Options
    Agree @Verna - need to be able to fully open the tailgate when coupled. I too have an ARB Fridge/Freezer. Just picked up the Truck Wednesday, so I'll be scouring these awesome Fourm discussions for the moveable tongue jacks, and options for power in the truck bed. Mine has lights, but no receptacle, 12V or 110V. Right now my freezer rides in the dinette area until I can figure something out. Have a locking tonneau cover on order. Opinions are welcome.  :)

• Options
    @Amazonica, actually typically, my ARB is in the back seat with the rear seat folded down. I tried putting it in the truck bed and it just didn’t seem as convenient. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yes, the a Gladiator is more, but I have always wanted a Jeep truck and I like the compact size if the a Gladiator compared to the new over size 1/2 tons being made now.  The a Gladiator is about the same size (a little longer of course) as the post WWII 1/2 ton trucks made back then.  Your Ram is going to pull hills and mountains better, with its larger engine.

The Wrangler has a shot wheel base compared to a truck, so backing up movements are quicker, and tighter turns easier to make, sometimes too easy, so you end up over steering and loos control.  The longer wheel base makes backing up straight easier, andbturn are more gradual and better controlled.

Good luck with your new rig.
    cheers
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, the a Gladiator is more, but I have always wanted a Jeep truck and I like the compact size if the a Gladiator compared to the new over size 1/2 tons being made now.  The a Gladiator is about the same size (a little longer of course) as the post WWII 1/2 ton trucks made back then.  Your Ram is going to pull hills and mountains better, with its larger engine.

The Wrangler has a shot wheel base compared to a truck, so backing up movements are quicker, and tighter turns easier to make, sometimes too easy, so you end up over steering and loos control.  The longer wheel base makes backing up straight easier, andbturn are more gradual and better controlled.

Good luck with your new rig.
    cheers
    The Gladiator is tempting. In the end I have decided against it (reserve my right to reverse the decision) because I use the sunroof in my Trailhawk, a lot, and I read some less than favorable towing reviews, especially about gas mileage. They are sharp, for sure!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Well you can get Freedom Hardtop, remove the front two panels and replace them with the Sunroof add on, and you have sun roof/convertible over the front seats.

Towing milage depends on the trailer and truck loading, along with the model you choose.  A Rubicon or Sport S with Max Tow is going to have a lower final gear ratio, so will get less MPG.  The speed you tow at will also make a difference, once you get over 65mph, milage drops even without a trailer.  

I have a Sport S with regular tow package, so I get 18-20 mpg running around rural country roads over hill and dale as it were.  On highway driving (Hwy 101) I get 24-26 mpg running at 60 to 65 mph, with occasional 70 mph on down grades.

Pulling the TaB400 I got 18-20 mpg on Hwy 101, and dropped to 1around an average of 14 to 16 mpg on the coast highway getting back to home, about the same I get towing a loaded utility trailer on the coast roads, at 35-50 mph (road conditions restrict speeds here).  So milage is better than I got with my Dodge Dakota, with Max Tow, pulling similar trailers.
    cheers
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Denny16 said:
    Well you can get Freedom Hardtop, remove the front two panels and replace them with the Sunroof add on, and you have sun roof/convertible over the front seats.

Towing milage depends on the trailer and truck loading, along with the model you choose.  A Rubicon or Sport S with Max Tow is going to have a lower final gear ratio, so will get less MPG.  The speed you tow at will also make a difference, once you get over 65mph, milage drops even without a trailer.  

I have a Sport S with regular tow package, so I get 18-20 mpg running around rural country roads over hill and dale as it were.  On highway driving (Hwy 101) I get 24-26 mpg running at 60 to 65 mph, with occasional 70 mph on down grades.

Pulling the TaB400 I got 18-20 mpg on Hwy 101, and dropped to 1around an average of 14 to 16 mpg on the coast highway getting back to home, about the same I get towing a loaded utility trailer on the coast roads, at 35-50 mph (road conditions restrict speeds here).  So milage is better than I got with my Dodge Dakota, with Max Tow, pulling similar trailers.
    cheers
    Yup. It all sounds a lot like my Wrangler (Sahara) towing experience, unfortunately. I use the sunroof way more frequently than I did the Freedom panels.

My WK2 Trailhawk is good compromise for me, unfortunately I dont love the look of it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    A full size V8 4x4 truck is a great road trip vehicle, and I'd say they are a pretty dang good value as well with the discounts that are offered.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Just towed with it for 200 miles in a stiff side-wind-it's a dream! Has the blind spot (silent) warning, just a little arrow in the side mirror. Tow mirrors. Other than getting the T@B, this was the best decision of my traveling life!  :)
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We also upgraded to a larger Tow Vehicle.  Driven small trucks and autos for the better part of 50 years.  Took the leap and moved from a Nissan Frontier to the Nissan Titan Crew cab.  Still trying getting used to big truck and narrow roads and everyone driving down the center line.  Trying to get out with the 400 for first trip of the year this week.  Do like the additional capacities of the larger truck and still can get it all in the shop! (just barely) Know that you will enjoy the additional "cushion" all around.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Congratulations @atlasb! My blood pressure is thanking me already. Wind, semi-trucks, hills...all no big deal now. Narrow jersey-barrier filled, high speed construction lanes still suck, but at least I don't get buffeted when a bigger vehicle zooms past. I've joined the Moose Mafia Mirror club!  :D

• Options
    Yes, a larger truck is going to do better on highway driving, if nothing else, a bit more comfortable.  Going over mountains at highway speeds, the bigger truck will be able to use higher gears, and get better mpg.
    cheers
  • Options
    Tabmann400Tabmann400 Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2020
    @Amazonica, congratulations on your purchase of a new TV.  I bought the same truck size before we bought our 2018 Tab 400.  With our Ram 1500, V8, HEMI, 4x4, I don’t even feel that I am towing the Tab while driving on those smooth highways.  My Tab’s tire rating speed is 65 mph, but I am one of those who drives at 60 mph ( 😁) on the right lane in a 65-70 mph zone.  I have occasionally driven over 70 mph when passing and sometimes when extremely necessary. I plan to change the Tab tires to a much higher speed rating . 

I also put the gear on “5” on most of the time (even in cruise control) when towing the Tab.  It seems  like I get better gas mpg.  On some roads, just watch out for other trucks in the opposite direction with their extended side mirrors.  Both vehicles could clip each other’s mirror. I have seen it happened. I have no problem driving with no extended side mirrors because my 2017 Ram 1500 did not come with it.  

We went to nuCamp 2019 at Sugarcreek, OH, last year, then to South Dakota to see Mt Rushmore and the Devil’s Tower in Wyoming.  After that we went to southern Utah to see Canyonlands, to Moab and to Zion National Park and other national parks in the area.  That’s a lot of ups and downs and crooked mountain roads. I felt very safe and capable when driving the Ram 1500 with the Tab in tow during that time.

The Tab dealer put a short draw bar (not sure what the correct term), the ball is about 7 inches away from the bumper.  My truck’s tailgate already has quite a few dents (😀). 

Happy camping!

Manny & Anne, from northeast Florida,  2018 Tab 400,  Silver with black trim, towed by 2017 Ram 1500
  • Options
    Thank you @Tabmann400. Great to hear your story. I've only towd with the Ram about 200 miles so far in Texas Hill Country, and can't tell it's back there unless I look in the mirrors. I too only drive around 60mph or so uness passing or avoiding something.

What does your Oil Temp run when towing please? Mine ran at 222dF and briefly 224 yesterday towing my T@B 400. About 76 degrees out, A/C on, tiny little hills at 60 mph highway (not stop and go). Do you think that's normal?
  • Options
    @Amazonica, that’s a good question about the oil temp when towing.  This is my first truck and towing experience.  I have not been aware of the Oil temp concern until you asked.  I have owned cars and never had oil temp problems.  

During the trip last year, I had to find a Ram dealer in South Dakota to do my oil change because I followed the recommended interval oil change at 10,000 miles by my dealer.  I checked the manual, but if I remember correctly, it was not even listed.  I had them put synthetic oil because I was anticipating uphill and downhill driving heading west and when I reached Utah’s national parks.  Maybe, if a “light” or dashboard message came on, I would have noticed it.

Maybe another reader will be able to answer your question.  On my next trip this month, I will check it out and play with the menu in the truck.  Please check where you hook up your Tab’s “electric brake cable”.  My dealer hooked it up with the chain that you attached to the truck and I did not even noticed it until I’ve traveled for almost a year.  It should be hooked up to the truck separately and not attached to the chain.

Enjoy your truck and Tab 400.  Happy camping.
    Manny & Anne, from northeast Florida,  2018 Tab 400,  Silver with black trim, towed by 2017 Ram 1500
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I've been towing with a 2006 Ram 4 door small V8, first a 900 pound PUP, now a 320.

I can feel the 320 more than the PUP, mainly with that big slab blocking air.

I keep it around 58 to 60, seems that's the best gas mileage which on the flat FL roads is around 15.  When I was towing the PUP I got around 19 or 20 and without anything and on cruise at 58 I can get 21 to 24.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @Amazonica, BTW my truck has a Fold-a-Cover brand trunk cover.  It’s a low-profile , 4-section, foldable, lockable cover. You may check this brand.  There are some YouTube videos on this brand and other brands.  
        By having a low profile trunk cover, it maintains the (kinda) sporty-look of the truck.  Of course, you have less cargo space.  You may search for a trunk cover that will also allow you to install a bike rack on top on the cover if you so desire.
        I also put a trunk rubber mat on my truck bed so that my plastic bins will slide easily when I pull them out.  I have 4 bins:  One for electrical contents (surge protector, extension cords, etc), one for water-related items (hose, filter, pressure regulator, etc), one for picnic items (tablecloth, ropes, etc) and one for miscellaneous.  I have a 4-foot stick with a hook on one end to pull out the bins.  
       We don’t cook inside the Tab.  We just make coffee and sandwiches inside.  We cook outside most of the time.  That’s why we bring picnic supplies. 

You may need to measure the max height of your ARB cooler to make sure it has enough clearance on your truck bed when the cover is closed.

For your ARB power supply in the trunk, please let us know if your dealer will install a 9 volt outlet wired directly to your truck battery.  Tell them that it should have an in-line fuse and should be marine-grade (waterproof) outlet with USB slots.

Just a thought.

• Options
    I googled oil temps in a 2019 5.7.

Most say 215 to 220 is normal and upwards to 225.

2 posts mentioned removing a shutter assembly which lowered all the temps, oil, cooling and tranny?

One said to run 5W20 synthetic oil, they said that's what their manual suggested.

Others suggested monitoring the oil life, and make sure no warning lights come on.

This was interesting

Given your location (Texas), 220F is pretty normal for daytime driving during the summer. 225F is not too high for the oil, assuming it is a modern SN rated conventional or synthetic oil.

For conventional oils, you do not want to it to see anything north of 275F, as its performance will quickly degrade after that. For synthetics, 300F is the point at which things will start going downhill in a hurry.

However, unless you are running the engine full-out for extended periods of time, its oil should not even approach 275F in temperature. So you can rest easy with the new truck.

Now, if you decide to hook up a trailer with another truck on it and then go try to maintain 65mph up one side of a mountain, you should definitely keep an eye on the oil temps
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Sincere thanks @Tabmann400 and @Tampakayaker. I really appreciate your experiences and info. Nothing was wrong in the truck, no beeps, lights, or warnings. I'm just a "keep an eye on things before they get bad" kind of preventative person. All things "truck" and "Hemi" are new to me.
    The Dealer where I bought it won't have time to put in a power port before I leave, but with your info, I'll get it done on a longer stop.

I'm researching drawer-like pullout trays for my stuff. Right now it's all piled in the (very roomy, might I add) cab!  =)
  • Options
    Amazonica said:
    Sincere thanks @Tabmann400 and @Tampakayaker. I really appreciate your experiences and info. Nothing was wrong in the truck, no beeps, lights, or warnings. I'm just a "keep an eye on things before they get bad" kind of preventative person. All things "truck" and "Hemi" are new to me.
    The Dealer where I bought it won't have time to put in a power port before I leave, but with your info, I'll get it done on a longer stop.

I'm researching drawer-like pullout trays for my stuff. Right now it's all piled in the (very roomy, might I add) cab!  =)
    Can't remember where I saw them, but someone built a series of pull out drawers for the truck bed.  They made a false floor with them underneath.  They were pretty impressive.

I kind of envy you with a shiny super duper truck, but with the way manufacturers have been going the last few years, it's a lot more fancy accessories/systems to break or act up (not that my 06 doesn't have it's share).
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208

I kind of envy you with a shiny super duper truck, but with the way manufacturers have been going the last few years, it's a lot more fancy accessories/systems to break or act up (not that my 06 doesn't have it's share).
    Double edge sword.  I do like my 2018 Ford F-150.  I got it as stripped down as I could.  Just the base XLT with the tow package.  The options really drive up the price!

But everything is controlled by computers.  Even the intermittent turn signal.  If you bump the turn signal it will flash 3 times and stop.  It can be programmed with a software program (not part of the delivered vehicle) to flash more if you want.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner