Options

2014 Silverado hitch drop/rise question for a 2020 T@B 400 BDL

EdNEdN Member Posts: 5
Hi everyone.  I'm a newbie to the T@B community, and I'm looking for some advice.  We purchased a 2020 T@B 400 BDL a few weeks ago, but have not yet picked up the T@B, it's being stored at the dealer until the weather warms up in the Northeast.  We plan to tow with a 2014 Silverado 4WD with Z71 package.  It has factory towing with the brake controller integrated into the vehicle. 

We will be picking up our T@B in a few weeks, before we do I need to purchase a hitch ball mount but I'm not sure if I've calculated the hitch height correctly.  I've read on this forum that the 2020 T@B 400 BDL has a level coupler height of ~20 inches.  I measured the height of the receiver on my trailer hitch at 19.75 inches.  I believe I'll need to purchase a ball mount that gives me a ~1 inch rise to achieve level towing of the trailer (assuming some squat due to tongue weight).

Can you let me know if my calculations are right, if not can you suggest what ball mount rise or drop I should purchase?

Thank you in advance for you help!

EdN
EdN / 2020 T@B 400 BDL / 2014 Silverado / Templeton, MA

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    My 2018 TaB 400 is closer to 18” so with the slight drop in your truck as you hook up, a straight ball and slight rise (2-inches is the smallest I have seen) should work.  Get both, a small rise ball and a straight ball setup.  Ball size is 2-inches.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited March 2020
    Level set your TV then measure from ground to inside top edge of receiver (opening) on your TV. Then level set the trailer. Measure T@B hitch from ground to bottom of coupler (bottom of opening). Subtract receiver height from coupler height. If it's a negative #, that's the drop you'll need. If its positive # that's the rise you need. 

At least that's the way I was taught. 

My TV is 04 Tahoe 4WD Z71with package, anti-sway, etc. It's a beast and tows very nicely. Enjoy! 

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,001
    I'm in the same boat as you.  We'll take delivery of our 2021 400 BD in a few weeks.  I measured a 2020 400 BD at the RV show and it was right at 20.5"  It appeared level but obviously I did not have a level to check that.  The response I got from NuCamp was the official hitch height was 21 1/4" for the 400 BD.  That seems a bit high but is what I was told.  My tacoma hitch sits right at about 22" so I am going to show up to the dealer with a 2" drop.  That should get me close to level.  I may have to adjust it after I hook it up.  If you show up with a 1" rise you should be close as well based off of your measurements.  Until you actually hitch it up to see how much your springs sag it will be very difficult to get it totally level.  Don't put too much thought into it prior to getting the trailer.  It sounds like you have yourself in the ball park and you can fine toon it after that.
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Agree 100%. We tend to get wrapped around the axle with all the math, add-ons, new tech ( which we then have to troubleshoot repeatedly). Just ensure the weights are good, use common sense and enjoy the ride!
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    EdNEdN Member Posts: 5
    AirBoss & bergger, thanks for the advice.  I'm going to do as you suggest get the 1 inch rise and see how that works.  Its a 2 hour drive home from the dealer, I should be fine.  Here a picture of us after our purchase.  We're excited to take delivery in a few weeks.

EdN / 2020 T@B 400 BDL / 2014 Silverado / Templeton, MA