Options

re Victron tab 400 solar controller

Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
Anyone know if you can or have tried to add panels to the integrated Victron charge controller with the less than 200W panels standard fitment with my 2019 tab 400?
I can add a complete extra setup but I think they might fight each other. I would like the additional panels to be seperate to fit as needed. I can fit connectors on the tab outside.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    I think some owners have a second charge controller when they use portable panels.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited March 2020
    @Tundra57   My 320 came with victorn 75/10 which is limited to 10 amps.     if you add another panel you will more than likely exceed its ratings.   

I am not sure of the repercussions of adding two different voltage panels on the same controller.   It could damage the lower voltage panel, depends on the construction of the panel.

I added a second controller to my trailer.   I bought a victron 100/30.    I have 3 160 watt renogy flexible panels in series to this controller.  
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited March 2020
    I have 200 watts flexible solar panels on the roof of my T@B 400 with its own Zamp controller inside. 

I also have a SAE plug for my Zamp 200 watt suitcase with its own controller on the passenger side of the 400. 

Both of these play well together. While I don’t always use both together, I know that if there is no solar gain for 4 days, 200 watts with the two 6V AGM batteries will not keep up with my usage demand. But, plugging in the 200 watt suitcase will help the batteries to regain their normal level.  Others around me had to resort to using gas generators so their batteries could regain their normal level. 

So, two separate solar controllers, each setup has 200 watts and they both play well together. This is not to say that different manufacturers equipment can’t play well together, this is just how mine works. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @Sharon_is_SAM So the zamp and Vicron like each other? I assume they seperately connect to the batteries? What controller does the zamp solar come with. Makes sense to do something tried and tested by an expert. :-)