Cool Cat drainage

So, I have a 2019 Tab 400 with the cool cat heat pump in the front drivers side. When using the air conditioner, one needs to level the tab so the condensation will flow out the grate from the pan out onto the ground. I was wondering if anyone figured out a easy way to put a drainage hose into the pan from underneath the unit. I think the new 2021's have a hose. Thoughts?
Peter and Nicki; Quechee, Vt
States Visited Map
2019 Tab 400; 2019 TV Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• peterac50peterac50 Member Posts: 67
    Got this update from the tech department at NuCamp:

There is a drain system for that ac. Once the pan underneath the AC fills to a certain point there are cutouts on the bottom of the exterior ac exhaust grill. If you feel the bottom side of the Grill you will feel 2 drainage ports. 

This is the drain pan system we received from Dometic with their AC. 
    Peter and Nicki; Quechee, Vt
    States Visited Map
    2019 Tab 400; 2019 TV Honda Ridgeline
  • castropjescastropjes Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info!  We have a 2019 also and were just trying the a/c for the first time.  Noticed after about an hour that the camper had cooled down from 99 deg to 74 deg but there wasn't any condensation drainage anywhere.  Couldn't figure out where it was supposed to drain from because I couldn't find a drain tube.  When I tilted it forward slightly, water started coming out the front corner of the exhaust grill.  I am assuming that if the camper is level the condensation will eventually start draining out once the pan fills.  I did find the two drainage ports on the bottom of the grill but it does seem weird the pan has to fill up in order for it to drain since there isn't a hose.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The small amount of water in the bottom helps cool the evaporator coil.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • LloydLloyd Member Posts: 34
    We own a 2020 Tab 400 (and love it) but live in the upper midwest. AC performance has not been an issue for us. Last weekend we camped in Iowa in 94F heat. Cooled to 71 without difficulty.

HOWEVER, we did own an a-frame pop-up that had the Cool Cat AC unit and there was an issue with condensation drainage which manifested as water leaking into the cabin on our first trip. My first hint there was a problem was water dripping from the corner of the grill rather than from the bottom. Turns out the factory install was not done properly and the drainage had to be re-configured. With the Cool Cat, if the drainage ports are blocked or the camper is not level, there would be a significantly increased risk of water leaking into the camper and as any RVer knows, water – in this instance – is not your friend.

Personally, I would rather deal with the risk of marginal performance than the risk of a water intrusion into the camper and wicking into the floor.
    2020 T@B 400 w/ factory solar
    2015 Nissan Frontier SV, 4WD Crew Cab
    Cottage Grove, MN
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    There is a drain pan under the Cool Cat unit.  That drain pan is about one inch deep and has two 3/8 inch holes drilled in the outboard wall of the pan.  These holes line up fairly closely with the notches in the bottom edge of the outer grill.  The holes in the drain pan are about 1/4 inch above the floor of the drain pan.  When water collects to such a depth that it reaches the bottom of the holes it will drain towards the holes in the outer grill.  The TAB400 can stand quite a bit of unlevelness (is that a word?) before the water will drain over the inboard side of the pan rather than out the drain holes.  The degree of unlevel would be rather uncomfortable for the occupants.  If the TAB400 is level enough to sleep and live in it is likely level enough for the Cool Cat to drain outside.
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've read about many, many CoolCats that drain out the outside vent. In my 2007, there is a drain drilled through the bottom of the trailer.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • rgclemensrgclemens Member Posts: 9
    I realize this thread is older however we have a 2017 T@B 400 with Cool Cat. We had issues with the AC and the thermostat throwing an E1 error. I took it to NuCamp and Austin drilled a hole in the grate to drain the condensation. So that worked well but just today the same error appeared on the thermostat. Austin indicated that the condensation was not draining properly and built up in the pan to a point where is stopped a fan (not sure the technical part). I did not have the camper tilted to the Cool Cat side and forward slightly. I opened up under the driver side dining seat and attempted to soak up water from the pan. Eventually I was able to clear the E1 error and now the AC is running again (last 30 minutes). So it seems that our unit needs to be leveled in a way that the Cool Cat can drain better. Hopefully the newer 400s don't have this problem since ours was one of the earlier units made...
    Clemens in VA no T@B now - waiting for our T@B 400! TV = Honda Ridgeline
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    When used in high humid conditions, it is a good idea to have the front and drivers side slightly low, to help the CoolCat drain better.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @rgclemens - just an FYI - the 400s started with the 2018 model year (although most were probably built in 2017).

Yes it sounds like you will need to go at least a little tongue down to get the Cool Cat to drain.  Would it help if the Cool Cat was raised a little higher off the pan? 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    A "slight" tilt to the drivers side will help.  The pan drains through two cutouts slightly above the bottom of the pan.  These are situated fore and aft of the pan.  In actuality, There is not very much condensation collecting in the pan.  What there is evaporates well before it reaches the drain holes--unless you are in a VERY humid location.
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    A "slight" tilt to the drivers side will help.  The pan drains through two cutouts slightly above the bottom of the pan.  These are situated fore and aft of the pan.  In actuality, There is not very much condensation collecting in the pan.  What there is evaporates well before it reaches the drain holes--unless you are in a VERY humid location.
    Like Florida!  Within 10 minutes of working in the yard yesterday it looked like I fell into a pool I was sweating so bad...
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    rgclemens, can you actually see the inside of the drain pan when viewed from the bench seat area? I recall my AC was pretty sealed up with insulation so I couldn't see the pan. model year 2019.
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019