Options

Spare Tire Relocation on a 2019 - 400

RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
I would like to move the spare aft to under the berth area but on the outside. Here is a description of the concept. Run a steel tube from one side of the frame to the other. There is a short section of tube that extends and is easily accessible. Weld a couple of bolts to the end of the tube , slide in place and secure with nuts. Fabricate a U shaped bracket welded to the cross ways tube and fasten to the RV . Use U bolts insulated with heavy neoprene washers and backing plates on the inside. It way be necessary to remove and install the black hose storage tube. There is not much weight involved, so I would think the existing plywood structure should be adequate.  Mount the spare tire raising mechanism to the tube and U bracket. Bolt ‘er up, add the spare and Bob’s yer uncle.
I’ve taken a few dimensions this looks feasible.
400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    Post some pics when you get it done.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    This may reduce your rear ground clearance and cause issues going in and out of driveways, gas station drives, etc.  moving the spare is not going to gain much reduction in the tongue weight.  Many of those with TaB 300s that have the rear under spare storage moved their spare to the tongue.  I looked into this, thinking it would save forward weight, but decided it was a non starter idea, not very practical, at least for me.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    For me, a full timer, I keep the spare (cable-locked) in the bed of my truck. I was motivated to do this after the spare scraped the ground when departing a gas station with a steep apron to road transition. FYI, being a full timer I keep lots of RV supplies in the bed of my truck already. The truck bed is covered to reduce risk of theft and provide weather protection. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The truck bed is a good location, thinking of doing the same when going out on unpaved roads.  I am adding the Boondock pitch axle/wheels upgrade,which will,increase ground clearance, so need to see how this goes later this summer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarkitectMarkitect Member Posts: 16
    RCB said:
    I would like to move the spare aft to under the berth area but on the outside. Here is a description of the concept. Run a steel tube from one side of the frame to the other. There is a short section of tube that extends and is easily accessible. Weld a couple of bolts to the end of the tube , slide in place and secure with nuts. Fabricate a U shaped bracket welded to the cross ways tube and fasten to the RV . Use U bolts insulated with heavy neoprene washers and backing plates on the inside. It way be necessary to remove and install the black hose storage tube. There is not much weight involved, so I would think the existing plywood structure should be adequate.  Mount the spare tire raising mechanism to the tube and U bracket. Bolt ‘er up, add the spare and Bob’s yer uncle.
    I’ve taken a few dimensions this looks feasible.
    @RCB  < Have you done this, I would like to do something like this, at least get the spare out from under the tongue.
    Let me know, thanks!
  • Options
    m_lewism_lewis Member Posts: 76
    I'm looking at just about anything that will move some tongue weight behind the axle. Having looked into this idea, it doesn't seem too feasible, but if you succeed, please tell us about it.

2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite, BMW X3
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    I like the idea but I think as others have stated the clearance could be an issue. I think that I'm going to try in the bed of the pickup as well. I think in order to take weight off the hitch doesn't it have to be forward of the rear axle? 
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    MarkitectMarkitect Member Posts: 16
    @jrhamel yes it would need to be forward of the truck's axle.
    I am having clearance issues getting into my driveway with the spare in it's current location, under the tongue. 
    I'm interested in also lightening the tongue weight a bit as well. (I added a bigger box so all the stuff I stow added a bit of weight).
    M