Alde 3010 showing gas failure, 2017 Tab Outback - Resolved - new propane regulator

TCretroTCretro Member Posts: 33
I haven't been around for awhile and had my Tab Outback in a heated garage all winter.  Took it out and put in driveway to get ready for spring and found out the propane would not work for the alde on thermostat.  It has been on a battery tender all winter and showing 13 volts +-,  I have read everything in the forum I can find and this is what I have tried so far.  1.  Turned power off on thermostat and battery also, several times.  2.  Unscrewed hose from propane tank and reinstalled several times. 3.  Glycol was low so I topped it off.  4.  Alde works fine on 110V, it actually worked on propane for a while when the 110 and propane were on at same time. 5.  Turned the pump down to 1 in the tools menu.  6.  I made up a jumper and did the emergency start. It tried to start by going through the clicking noise but after a few tries it just quit.  So I am wondering if something is interfering with the propane getting to the boiler.  Maybe the gas solenoid.  7.  I tested voltage at the board on the boiler and it was showing 125 volts. Tested the two fuses on the board by the 12v plug.  I am pretty mechanical but this has me stumped.  Monday I will try to call Alde.  I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or if there is a way to purge the gas line going into the boiler, to see if air is in line, or to test and see if propane is getting that far.  By the way the stove and fridge both work fine.  I know there are many very knowledgeable people on this form so if anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated.

(Edited title for search purposes. Sharon)
2017 Outback, TV is now a 2018 Ram Eco Diesel

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    TCretro said:
    . . .  Monday I will try to call Alde. 

Good Plan !

Have you seen @Spruce1 March-24 post on this thread:
    His 3010 solenoid failed . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I see everything in your troubleshooting list except.......are you sure you have enough propane in the tank?  Do your stove burners work?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • TCretroTCretro Member Posts: 33
    Yes I did see the posting about the solenoid, I will talk to Alde about that.  Did not know if there is a way to test them or not.  And yes the stove and fridge work fine, that was toward the end of my original post, easily missed.  What do you feel about disconnecting the gas line at the boiler and just running a little propane through it, after I make sure all electrical items are shut off.  Is the boiler a little more sensitive to amount of propane going through regulator on front of Tab, or do we just assume if the stove and fridge work that the Alde should work.  I did have to replace the hose between regulator and tank a year or so ago because the washer inside the part that screws on tank became defective. As you can tell I am rolling the dice here.  
    By the way Happy Easter to everyone. Be safe, stay healthy.

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    TCretro said:
    . . .  feel about disconnecting the gas line at the boiler and just running a little propane through it,
    I have a heck of a time getting opened water pipe fitting to reseal - - - so opening a gas line would be the very last thing to do on my list, don't think you are there.  Believe likelihood of gas line to Adle being plugged or damaged is low . . . unless you know of a  recent modification, etc that might be a factor.

TCretro said:
    Is the boiler a little more sensitive to amount of propane going through regulator on front of Tab, or do we just assume if the stove and fridge work that the Alde should work.
    The Fridge and Alde have the same gas pressure specification;  11 inch W.C [ 27 mBar ]

Actual Alde 3010 gas pressure range is 27 - 35 mBar with a recommended 30 mBar regulator at the tank.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Oh, there it was, in black and white............
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Dont know if this makes any sense.  I also have a couple other tanks I use with these little burners you can attach to top of tank (Mr. Heater I think), I tried one of those tanks on the Tab and it would not let enough propane fuel through to keep the stove lit.  I took it out and put the portable heater on it and worked fine, put it back on Tab and will not work.  Could it be that the hose on the Tab is not releasing the valve on the tank all the way?  I do remember last summer that the fridge worked but it would take several tries to get the green light to stay on.  I think I am going to order another hose from Amazon and see what that does.  The portable heater I use does not use the OPD knob it use the older style that screws on inside. ???????????????
    I think i'm also going to order a regulator, the manual does not say what type of regulator to use.  Can anyone give me a reccomendation on the one they would recommend.
    I found a sheet in all my documents that show the regulator.  If someone does have an alternate they prefer let me know.  Thanks Much
  • Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    edited April 2020
    I would go with what’s shown in your documentation.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
    Here is an update on the issue of my Alde 3010 showing "gas failure".   
    The problem: Thermostat would keep showing "gas failure".  I tried many different solutions because I knew tank was full and the stove and fridge would work.  So I assumed if propane was getting to the fridge it should be getting to the Alde.  Through matter of elimination I tried the emergency start of the alde by using a jumper wire and it still would not operate so at that time I was sure it was propane related.  So I ordered a new 12" hose which is now the second one since 2017.  I also ordered a new propane regulator.  To begin with I replaced the hose and it made some difference as the alde would start and run for a few minutes but then would g.
    o out and try to restart.  So then I replaced the regulator.  That was the problem as I noticed that there was better flame on the stove and the fridge started faster and the alde ran continuously.  I am attaching links to the items I ordered from Amazon.  The regulator was listed as a JR products but it identical to the one that was on the Tab.  Hopefully this may help someone else experiencing problems with the Alde showing "Gas Failure".  Any questions please ask.  Thanks to all that have taken part in offering suggestions for solution.

Hose I ordered  :https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2687HZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regulator I ordered:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KR7A2BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thanks, @TCretro.  This kind of real-world experience and links to replacement parts is always helpful, "just in case."  I have added your comments to my ever-growing notes on the Alde.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Bayliss said:
    Thanks, @TCretro.  This kind of real-world experience and links to replacement parts is always helpful, "just in case."  I have added your comments to my ever-growing notes on the Alde.

Thanks Bayliss, The one important thing I discovered was that even though your stove and fridge works but your Alde does not it could still be the Regulator. 
    I also have a list of notes for Tab.