Options

Visor or Raised Awning for Front Window?

The instances of fabric window awnings that lay on the windows is well-documented on this site, but I’m wondering if anyone has come up with or seen a “visor” or some other supported awning structure for the front window?  (That is, one that does not lay on the window’s surface.) There would be some benefit to having the window protected from the sun when the window is not open or opened just a little to preserve the ability to see out of the window.  Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited April 2020
    I’d love something like that too. I’ve thought about making window awnings out of a see through shade cloth like these:

https://www.sailrite.com/Comparing-Visibility-in-Marine-Mesh

You can close the windows with awnings still on, so this would do, but my ideal would still be a hinged shade “awning” for the front that when closed would double as rock protection while driving. 

Alas, that’s well beyond my design and fabrication skills.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 262
    We are new to TABs and are learning. I wonder if you could explain your comment, “the instances of fabric window awnings that lay on the windows is well documented”. 

When we get our TAB I had planned to make awnings for the windows. But now I’m wondering if that is bad. Do awnings damage a window? Is it better to get the large awning that hangs from the keder rail? 
    Thank you
    mer
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    I think the meaning is the visors are a very popular option, not that there is a particular issue with them.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    The fabric window awnings are fine.  They help with shading and keep the TaB cooler.  Plus, they are attractive and show off our unique campers.  The keder rail awning or tents are great and they also offer the advantage of providing a place to sit out of the elements.  Although, tents get too warm in direct sun especially since the no-see-um screening limits air flow.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    xdr said:
    We are new to TABs and are learning. I wonder if you could explain your comment, “the instances of fabric window awnings that lay on the windows is well documented”. 

When we get our TAB I had planned to make awnings for the windows. But now I’m wondering if that is bad. Do awnings damage a window? Is it better to get the large awning that hangs from the keder rail? 
    Thank you
    mer
    I think that he wants something that will shade the window but allow him to see out of the window when he has it closed because he's running the A/C.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 262
    Thank you all for the clarification! One less thing for me to worry about. 
    mer
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I normally only have the exterior cloth awnings on my 400 on the window(s) facing the sun’s rays. Yes, that means that I need to mostly leave the rear awning on the window over the bed, but I still have the kitchen and front windows without the awnings. If the morning sun is too bright, I can easily put the kitchen window awning in place. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Hey @xdr, looks like folks have already weighed in on your question.  There are some great fabric covers for the windows that attach to the window themselves and “lay” on the exterior of the window to block the sun.  I was just thinking about an option for our front windows that would act similar to the visors or awnings that fit on the keder rails on the sides of the camper.  That way it’s not attached to your window, still blocks the sun, and your visibility is not dependent upon how open (or closed) your window is.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    I thought about making something like that by adding keder rail above my side windows but then I got lazy and just ordered awnings from Shiners View (Lisa Roddy). I think that it's doable. I just haven't seen it.
    I wonder if Marti could cook up something for you.
    http://martisawnings.com/vintage-trailer-awnings.html

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited April 2020
    I vaguely remember some of the early versions of the window coverings someone created some type of a PVC frame that held the awnings out with the window still closed. I've attached a crude drawing. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL