Options

Organizing storage in the back of your Tow Vehicle?

RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
We've camped for months at a time, for several years with our T@B 320CS and a Toyota Tacoma pickup as a tow vehicle.  We put lots of extra "stuff" in the back of truck, usually loosely organized in tubs or milk crates.  I'm thinking I'd like a little more organization "back there", so I'm looking for ideas/photos of how you've organized the back of your TV truck.  I built a small shelving unit to fit along one side of the back to load all the large soft items like chairs, awning, tent, floor mats, etc.  Other ideas? Appreciate any thoughts/images.
2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If my spare tire wasn't stored under the back cargo area of my Grand Cherokee, I would get a set of ARB drawers, for sure.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I struggle with that also. The back of the truck is a Tetris puzzle for the outside stuff. Although at the present, we don't go on many "traveling" trips. We drive to a destination, unload everything, camp, load it all back, and go home. BUT we do have the camper set up to where we actually don't "need" all the stuff in the back of the truck to use the camper, except for the BAL leveler and cooler. So if we did go on traveling trips, we would pare way down to just two chairs and the visor. All of our clothes, and kitchen items travel in the camper.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    We've camped for months at a time, for several years with our T@B 320CS and a Toyota Tacoma pickup as a tow vehicle.  We put lots of extra "stuff" in the back of truck, usually loosely organized in tubs or milk crates.  I'm thinking I'd like a little more organization "back there", so I'm looking for ideas/photos of how you've organized the back of your TV truck.  I built a small shelving unit to fit along one side of the back to load all the large soft items like chairs, awning, tent, floor mats, etc.  Other ideas? Appreciate any thoughts/images.
    Is the back open or does it have a cap or a tonneau cover?

I saw a post that someone made sliding racks that held tubs.  The racks slide on a piece of masonite in the truck bed.  He used those furniture sliders on the bottom of the racks and had some guides attached to the masonite to keep the racks straight.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    The more organized and packable you make the back of your Taco, the more careful you will need to be with payload. You can pack a lot of weight back there before you realize it.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2020
    We have a topper on our Tacoma.  Aside from the box with our Weber grill its mostly empty back there.  What should I be carrying?
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @GatorEgg ; Folding ebikes, inflatable kayaks and SUP boards, an RV washing machine, extra chairs, chainsaw for clearing the occasional blocked NFS road. And of course the paramotoring setup. To start with.   :)

I was hoping to find a lightweight semi-permanent cover system, maybe 3-4 feet high, 5 feed wide, 6 feet deep just to keep prying eyes off any bicycles or other goodies in the back of a short bed, or back of an SUV with the seats folded down. Just something to make it a little less likely for a truck topper to get broken into or the rear window to be busted out by sticky fingered folk. A tarp would be an invitation. Couldn't seem to find such an animal.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    Thanks folks. We carry a lot of food back there (to keep nosy rodents and bears out of the T@B); folding chairs, awning, small folding table...Things that a lot of folks might pack into the T@B itself.  We find that keeping peripherals in the truck back (yes, with a canopy top on it) means we don't have to unpack it all when we arrive at our campsite.  We tend to be travelers rather than "campers"...so we don't go and sit in one place for weeks at a time. Rather we might be one place for 3+ nights, then move on...so being able to store surplus in the truck is easier for us.  Thanks again.
    2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Member Posts: 34
    One comment to add that I haven't noticed in this thread is to strive to place the heavier items either over the TV axle or forward of the axle if possible. Generally this would be either a generator or a 5gal water container.
    2020 T@B 400 w/ factory solar
    2015 Nissan Frontier SV, 4WD Crew Cab
    Cottage Grove, MN
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Good point Lloyd.  Any weight behind the axle, reduces your tongue weight capacity.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.