Options

Tab 320 CS tire rim maintenance

JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
edited May 2020 in Tips & Tricks
Since we bought our Tab used, the rims have either scratches or some sort of build up on them. Can anyone recommend a method for getting them back to ‘like new’ condition? It’s a 2018 and the rims look the same today as when we took ownership last August. Also, does anyone know if these rims are stainless steel or aluminum or something else? Thanks!

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    They are aluminum. Not sure what the green is. I think they are probably clear coated, but don't know for sure, I have the Boondock wheels. Honestly if what is on there won't clean off easily, just easier to buy new wheels or have those ones refurbished, there are places that do that task.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    From what I’ve gathered so far, they are alloy. Tomorrow I plan to try straight white vinegar mixed with baking soda. If that doesn’t work the foaming oven cleaner is the next step.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    It looks like there is corrosion under the clearcoat. You will probably not have much success restoring this...vinegar may even make it worse. What is typically done with wheels to restore them is removing the clear coat and machining the faces before re-coating them. This is a pricey proposition and isn't typically worth the cost unless the wheels have some collectable value (are you running some old Halibrands?). If it really bothers you your best bet may be to replace them.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I can't be sure, but it does look to me like a clearcoat problem. If that's the case, you may be able to strip the clearcoat and progressively sand/polish the wheels back to a nice shine. I've done this with aluminum motorcycle parts but it is a lot of work--more than I would be inclined to bother with for camper wheels, but YMMD.
    Please let us know if you figure some thing out that works! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks for the input. I will try the foaming oven cleaner when the weather permits. If that doesn't work then we will just live with it. I spent three hours cleaning the exterior yesterday and she shined up very nicely. Now if I could get the rims to shine, she'd look practically brand new.

Thanks, Jerry 

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Test the oven cleaner somewhere inconspicuous first.  it just might have an adverse reaction with the metal wheel.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Test the oven cleaner somewhere inconspicuous first.  it just might have an adverse reaction with the metal wheel.
    Roger that!
    Your local auto parts store will have scads of wheel cleaning products on the shelf. That would be a good place to start. Most of these products have some amount of acidity for cleaning. All of them will haze the clearcoat if it is left on too long. None of them can repair damage under the clearcoat.