Options

Brake Controller and towing Hitch

jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
I'm trying to find a brake controller for a Grand Cherokee. I was about to order the Prodigy P3 (90195) with the 3045-P wire harness ?? but want to make sure this is compatible. I've read on here that the Jeep dash is too low to install this type of brake controller, but I've watched a video on E-trailer where he installs one on the lower dash. Will this work? I need to get this delivered before I go pick up the TAB 400. Also, what kind of hitch do I need? I know I need a 2" ball hitch, but I've see "drop hitch" and other types. The car has the tow package, so it has the receiver, I just need the ball part. 

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    What year Cherokee?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    We've been satisfied with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite brake controller in our Colorado. A small dial control is mounted in the dash and the main unit is on the firewall. No knee banging involved! Don't have a 400, so can't suggest the amount of drop for your hitch.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    2015 Limited 4x4 V6 with tow package 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Jennifer, if not going with an OEM controller, I think the in dash Redarc Elite is the way to go, and installs like the OEM.  This is what I am going to end up
    doing this summer, if the Jeep Gladiator OEM controller is not released.
    Good luck with your new Tab, and take your time coming back, do not rush the trip.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    We had a LivinLite trailer for two years.  Used this inexpensive controller...worked great.tekonsha 90195 p3 electronic brake control
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    P3 fits perfect in my Cherokee's coin box on lower left side of the dash, and with the harness for the Jeep install was easy. P3 works very well
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited May 2020
    I just installed a Redarc trailer brake controller - Like you, just to go pick up a new T@B 400!- and highly recommend it if you don't want something hanging off the dash. I personally couldn't stand to have a knee knocker just hanging there, and the Redarc is a very clean install, although a bit more of a custom install than the under-dash units, as you have to drill a hole somewhere in the dash panel to mount the control knob. Redarc has a very good reputation for customer support, and the brake controller performance is reputed to be top notch.

And the drop or rise needed will depend on the height of your cars hitch receiver as compared to the height of the T@B's hitch coupler. Make sure to account for the amount of 'squat' that the rear of your car will have when loaded with approx 400 lbs. of tongue weight from the T@B, as this will make the actual hitched height of the receiver lower, probably by at least 2". 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited May 2020
    Most third party brake controllers out there will do the job.  It is how they mint and wire in on various TV that is the issue.  With Jeeps, like the SUVs and newer Wranglers/Gladiator mounting becomes even more problematic.  Wiring harness choices very limited.  The Redarc was designed for Aussie outback and off road vehicles, and has better mounting options.   It also offers a full three way proportional control for in highway and a user direct control for dirt roads and off road situations.  See: https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-elite-electric-brake-controller
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited May 2020
    As far as hitch height, you can figure that out with a tape measure and simple math if you know height of that trailer when level. The height has been posted here previously along with the diagram and math, let me see if I can find the old threads.

Here is a thread showing how you figure out what you need. Now all you need is height of the 400 when level and it will be different from regular to Boondock models.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10247/hitch-drop
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options