Options

Modifying Side Bench Seating

I often travel solo with my clamshell and only set up half of the bed and have the other half of the bed as seating.

For average seating, the seating size is fine, (a place to sit as you get dressed, get things organized in the mornng, etc.)

But for longer seating such as working on the computer, finding the seating way too uncomfortable. The back is way to straight and the bench too narrow. Any thoughts on a way to modify?? I was thinking about extending the bench a few inches out into the walkway, and making a wider bottom cushion and an angled back cushion.

(FYI we NEVER use the table, so when it's both of us, would just have a smaller "board" to support the bed). We don't use the T@B cushions for the bed either. We have 8" of memory foam.
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
Harvest, AL

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

(FYI we NEVER use the table, so when it's both of us, would just have a smaller "board" to support the bed). We don't use the T@B cushions for the bed either. We have 8" of memory foam.
    Sounds like the Princess and the Pea!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I generally sit on the back bench when reading or editing photos and on a side bench when playing my bass. When editing or playing I'm usually sitting forward more on the edge for extended periods and it feels like I'm sitting on a bare bench after awhile. The foam just compresses too much. So, I replaced all the foam with something denser this weekend. Much, much better. BUT until it gets broken in a little it's a little too firm for my taste when sleeping (getting a little better every day).
    When I took the factory foam in so they could measure/cut the new stuff, the compression was quite noticeable and the foam gal even commented how the old foam hadn't held up very well.
    That said, I spend a lot more time sitting inside than most would so new stiffer foam may not be a good option for others, especially if you like a softer bed.
    I find the back bench width fine but the side benches too narrow for general seating. Works for me when playing my guitar as I'm not leaning back.
    This isn't necessarily a knock on LG, I've never found comfortable seating in any camper where the seating has to do double duty, bed/seating.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Did you "re-stuff" the original cushion apholstery with the new foam or go for all new foam and covers of your choosing? I ask because I would prefer cushions covered with a slick (Sofitel pleather) vs. "hairy" (standard T@B fabric) if I were to up-size my beloved SS to aT@B.  'Just curious what you did when given the chance to change out the cloth too...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Just stuffed the originals with new foam, kept same fabric. I'm not unhappy with the fabric it came with. Was more work than I thought it was going to be though - there's a million staples on each of the back bench seats. The LG apolstery shop people must get paid by the staple :-)

• Options

I hope someone has a 2016 T@b with the new foam at Tearstock so we can see the difference. Upholstery/foam are on the 2016 list of items to update for me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I would think they might slip/slide or bunch up.
  • Options
    No wood bottom.

• Options
    The side bench cushions have vinyl on the back (side against the wooden bench) so not reversible. The cushions on the back bench are fabric wrapped around and stapled to the wood lid of the storage area underneath (or Alde space). The foam is wrapped in a fuzzy cotton type material so the fabric doesn't cling to the foam. That wrap is actually glued to the foam.
    So, you have two types to deal with. The side bench cushions are basically just stuff, get in evenly and zip up. The back bench first requires the removal of a million staples then is similar to traditional apolstery like on a chair.
  • Options
    Covering over on the bench would work as the fabric is stapled in place. The rest would be more like slip covers for chairs/couches - except those usually have more defined shapes to hold the slipcover in place.
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Jenn, we will have our 2016 at Tearstock if it is built on time. We'll be coming straight from the factory.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    Awesome, kybob. Look forward to checking it out. We might have to drag one of mine over for a side by side.

• Options
    You can create, "mouse holes" for the table, which is basically a space cut into the bottom of the passenger side bench for the table legs to slide into. I think the Alde radiator might get into the way of, if I remember correctly. 

• Options
    Patti - Be aware though that going down the road, the T@B can bounce a little and upend lighter weight tables. Any bump in the road is emphasized in the T@B. The factory table is real heavy and doesn't suffer as much. I've never had mine stay upright so I either break it down or turn it upside down.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Patti, in terms of the side benches, yes they go straight down. On the passenger side, the radiator for the heat is just behind the bench face, so there is no room to modify the bench to allow the "C" shaped table legs to tuck under. On the drivers side, there are lost of wires and water pipes in the way, so it's not any better.

So why do folks not like the table that LG provides:
    1. It's heavy
    2. The "H" shape of the legs at floor level seem to always bee in the way
    3. Putting it down and raising it back up always seems to be a bit of a gamble in terms of accomplishing it without personal injury, due to pinch points and sharp edges
    4. The table fills the space in the center of the seating area, which can create challenges in getting into the seating area, particularly on the drivers side

That being said, it's not really all that bad of a design. It is portable, can be completely removed without leaving anything behind, including on the floor.

Options that people have chosen are:
    1. No table at all
    2. Slats and rails for the bed
    3. Smaller tables on a standard floor mounted pedestal
    4. Free standing small portable tables

One of the challenges in using a standard RV type pedestal, is the composition of the floor and the absence of substantial material to fasten the base to. There are those that have installed them and had stated that they have had no issues.

The recent statement by LG, that they were sticking with the folding table and would not be supplying slats and rails, makes we wonder what there concerns are with this configuration. Are there issues with potential problems that are not being made apparent?

I personally like the the idea of the table sitting more rearward a few inches, as more room in the galley area, and greater room to slide in on the drivers side makes sense. I also think that for most of us, two persons, one on each side is pretty common. Seldom would I expect a third or fourth person to sit at the rear, therefore the table being set back, should not be an issue.

My plan is to eliminate the folding legs, replace the mechanism with a pedestal mount, fastened to a piece of 3/4" ply, sat on the floor, and set the position of the table top, rearwards. I will  install 1x2 rails and use the existing table top as the filler to make up the bed.

As I stated before, the existing table is functional, it's just that many of us see alternatives that better accommodate our needs.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    meklofmeklof Member Posts: 14
    We converted our 'new to us' 06 T@B to two twin beds with new thicker and wider cushions-see yahoo forum pics. On the driver's side we just replaced the top plywood with a wider piece to keep the converter underneath untouched and added a leg for support. This way the floor space remains the same so you can stick your feet underneath if you sit on the opposite side. We installed a VW bus table but I have seen several options on the yahoo T@B forum. You could use the C desks as well by adding som Velcro straps to tie it down while in transit. You will just have to figure out how to add support for the boards when you need the full width bed. Good luck and would really like to see a pic when you are done. 
    Michael & Claudia T@B -Q 2006 
    San Rafael, CA
  • Options
    There are some that do not mind the table at all. I would recommend checking it out. I go solo, so I don't need it for the bed. I removed it and used a lapdesk last year for eating and computer work. The year, I picked Io a small, light Lifetime table from Amazon. It will stow easily for me.