Options

white powder on batteries

I am in the process of adding two more 200w golf cart batteries to my 2019 Tab400. I took out the old two battery case.
The underneath of the top was grey with a light powder which is totally dry. Its all over the top of the batteries too.
When i lifted out the bottom half of the old battery box, underneath you can see where the powder came into the tab through the bottom air inlet.
No idea why.
Anyone seem anything similar?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Wash your battery off with a water baking soda solution, the white powder is from battery acid vapors and condensation.  Wear rubber gloves when doing so.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 756
    But be very careful not to get any of the baking soda solution IN the battery.  Baking soda is a base and it will neutralize the acid in the battery.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Tundra57, after you clean the battery terminals, you might want to spray some NCP2 Battery Corrosion Preventative on both your trailer and tow vehicle battery posts.  You should be able to find a small can at any local auto parts store, or on Amazon.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) works well on battery terminals to keep them from corroding too.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    After you put the cables back on if not specific battery corrosion preventative, coat terminals with any grease.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Thanks for all the battery info. However it is not acidic. I have seen that before, i used to maintain locomotive batteries. There is no corrosion and the powder is not crystalline. it is some kind of inert powder. I should have mentioned, these are sealed glass mat batteries which have a gas pressure vent only. You can mount them sideways - they are sealed. If they are blowing off the internal electrolyte, then they should be scrapped. They vent hydrogen if they are charged too fast for the gases to recombine at the electrodes and that is why there is a ventilation system fitted.