Options

Solar Reflective Window Coverings

AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
edited June 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Know there are discussions about various window coverings on this forum but I haven't found one about exterior coverings that reflect solar radiation on the three large T@B 400 windows.

Even something that is reflective to some degree would be helpful, even if they're not silver metallic.

Of course the concern would be protecting the surface of the windows, since they arent glass 

Working remotely from my phone so searching this forum is a bit more challenging! 

Thanks!
2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
San Diego, CA
www.airbossone.com
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Comments

• Options
    Awesome, thanks! It seems as though folks aren't too concerned about using Reflectix on the interior side of the windows. 

My fear was the reflecting heat may warp the acrylic windows. May give it try. 

Seems you could cut to fit in the guide slots used for the blinds, assuming the Reflectix is pliable enough to bend along its long axis. 

Thanks again!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    AirBoss said:
    Awesome, thanks! It seems as though folks aren't too concerned about using Reflectix on the interior side of the windows. 

My fear was the reflecting heat may warp the acrylic windows. May give it try. 

Seems you could cut to fit in the guide slots used for the blinds, assuming the Reflectix is pliable enough to bend along its long axis. 

Thanks again!
    I've been using Reflectix covers on the inside for a few years and haven't noticed any ill effects. I used a roll of 24" inch Reflectix and it's just a little narrow to cover the entire window top to bottom so I suppose excess heat has an escape route. If you're worried you could probably secure it to the outside of the windows with velcro/elastic (like the cute fabric covers). Of course that wouldn't work when traveling. I cut notches for the locks and the window stays and the Reflectix stays put on the inside of the windows even when I'm on the road.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Thanks @Marceline...I'm picking a roll of 48" x 25'  today (we are camping in SoCal) which should yield enough to do all three larger windows and I have a fair amount left over for other projects.  

Plan is to insert it in the same track as the blinds. For example, open blinds on front window offer about 18"x 53"  opening. I'll cut it to about 17 1/2" x 52 1/2"...just enough to grab the edges of the vertical blind tracks and allow the upper and lower blinds to slide up and down just a bit to secure it. 

Thanks again! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    FWIW I’ve also made cooler covers out of it. It really helps. I’m going to cover the door of my clamshell fridge (which is black -which makes no sense). 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Good idea! Thx!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 147
    @AirBoss @Marceline Any updates from you all (or anyone else) on how Reflectix works on the inside of the window?  Any issues?  Thanks,
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    Our approach is we put Reflectix under window awnings and over the Lexan to keep the heat outside the T@B
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    RMo said:
    @AirBoss @Marceline Any updates from you all (or anyone else) on how Reflectix works on the inside of the window?  Any issues?  Thanks,
    The roll of Reflectix that I got is only 16" inches wide so it doesn't quite exactly cover the windows from to top to bottom. They do keep it cooler in the cabin and prevent people from snooping in my windows while in transit. I haven't noticed any negative effects on the windows.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    We found no benefit to lining all our windows on the inside with Reflectix.  Towed from Ohio to Asseteague in July and there was no benefit,  Arrived blistering hot.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I've used a roll of this that I purchased at Home Depot. Plenty wide enough. Trimmed to fit the outside frame of the three windows in the interior. Used adhesive velcro strips to secure. This kept the Reflectix away from the acrylic windows.

Did notice a difference. Travel with front window locked into "vent" position and ceiling vent open a bit.

After some research and calls I was advised to avoid using any films on the acrylic. They can either trap heat between the film and the acrylic or over time, delaminate...or both.

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    maxwellllllmaxwellllll Member Posts: 15
    AirBoss said:
    [ . . . ] Travel with front window locked into "vent" position and ceiling vent open a bit. [ . . . ]

@AirBoss

I found this thread while looking for something to reduce the incredible heat buildup inside the cabin while towing our 2023 400 Boondock (I live in South Texas, so it's unavoidable for the majority of the year).  My refrigerator can't keep up when the cabin is 130F+.  After 10 hours driving nearly the full width of Texas this weekend, I stuck a digital thermometer in a can of soda that had been in the fridge: 74F!  I was wondering about window coverings or perhaps venting the cabin, but was skittish about these without express consent from NuCamp (I sent them an email this morning).  I was thinking about opening the rear window to the "vent" position, thinking it would minimize rain and road dust from entering the cabin, yet still allow hot air to escape.  I also considered cracking the main roof vent 1/4" or so, but just wasn't sure if that was safe or not.  I'm wondering what you're doing these days (two years later) while towing.  
  • Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    The inability of the internally vented fridges are a recurring theam throughout the forum. Particularly when on the move as the plexiglass windows are not meant to be open in transit. If you ask me it's why Nucamp made the big switch to lithium. However even thought lithium helps with the battery drain its just treating the simptom and not the issue directly. It seams to me that providing some sort of dust filtered venting on the trailers would be high on thier design priorities. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. I've done some research and found no aftermarket venting that would do the trick so maybe that's why.
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options

I found this thread while looking for something to reduce the incredible heat buildup inside the cabin while towing our 2023 400 Boondock (I live in South Texas, so it's unavoidable for the majority of the year).  My refrigerator can't keep up when the cabin is 130F+.  After 10 hours driving nearly the full width of Texas this weekend, I stuck a digital thermometer in a can of soda that had been in the fridge: 74F!  I was wondering about window coverings or perhaps venting the cabin, but was skittish about these without express consent from NuCamp (I sent them an email this morning).  I was thinking about opening the rear window to the "vent" position, thinking it would minimize rain and road dust from entering the cabin, yet still allow hot air to escape.  I also considered cracking the main roof vent 1/4" or so, but just wasn't sure if that was safe or not.  I'm wondering what you're doing these days (two years later) while towing.  
    Ever since I mounted a vent cover I always leave the roof vent cracked a little bit - in storage, while traveling, etc. It does help a lot. If you don't give the heat a place to go it will just keep getting hotter and hotter in there, just like a car.
    I wouldn't do this without a vent cover and I absolutely would not travel down the road with the window in the vent position. Adding a vent cover will be a lot cheaper than replacing a window.

It's worth noting that the manual for my smaller Norcold 2way fridge states that the fridge will shut down when the ambient temp is 100deg and won't turn back on until it comes down to 80deg. So your fridge is probably shutting down in the heat. If you expect to travel a lot in 90+ temps you are probably going to have to come up with a new strategy. I have an electric cooler that I can carry in my tow vehicle so that's my backup option. I also sometimes put a brick of dry ice in the freezer compartment of the Norcold. If you camp without shore power, this is going to be an even bigger pain, because the fridge will use a lot of power to come back down to 40deg.

I use this Bluetooth monitor so I can keep track of exactly what's going on in the fridge. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    I also considered cracking the main roof vent 1/4" or so, but just wasn't sure if that was safe or not.
    @maxwellllll FWIW, I drove home last week at highway speed with my roof vent open about a half inch because I forgot all about it when I was packing up. No issues at all, it never moved more open or closed.