Update/Resolved: Water Everywhere Front Dinette T@B 400 !!

TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
edited July 2020 in Camping & Travel
I went into our 400 today to start getting things ready for a trip this next week, and I was shocked to find water all over the dinette and the front cushions all soaked, water all over the floor!  After a little investigation, I figured out rain water pours in through the top of the window all along the aluminum window frame mount that attaches to the camper, dripping water into the camper.  I had left the front window open about 2 inches to keep it vented, and it rained overnight.  Apparently this is the first time I’ve had it open when it rained.

I couldn’t find anything in the manual about not opening windows when it rains.  Anyone else experienced this?  It would seem very odd to not be able to open a window when it rains.

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @TNOutback, I did a quick search of this site and only found one thread discussing a front window leak.  Unfortunately, no cause or resolution was provided.  The link is below.

If it was windy while raining, that could account for the water entering through the window.  When it rains, and I am going to be away from the trailer, I only open the window to where it locks in the slightly open position.  You can also crack open the roof vent to help with air circulation (or open it fully if you have an after-market vent opening cover.)

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/117483#Comment_117483
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    As big as that front (and rear, and side) window is even two inches open will allow a lot of water to blow in from the side.  How did you determine that it entered via the hinge on top?
    As a side note, rain rarely comes straight down.  It usually has some horizontal component to it.
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited June 2020
    @falcon1970 I closed the window, went outside and using my garden hose sprayer set on “shower”, began spraying water up into the air and onto the front of the camper to mimic rainfall.  No leaks.  I then opened the window about 2 inches as I had left it, then repeated the “rain” test.  Water began almost immediately dripping into the camper along a seam in the aluminum mounting rail above the window.  Leaks along the entire length of the window along this seam. Looking at the structure of the mount, it almost looks like there are two aluminum channels mated together there, with water seeping out of that seam.
    @TNOutback
    Interesting.  I wonder if nuCamp has changed that channel from what they used in 2019?  The aluminum channel (or hinge) on mine is all one piece top to bottom and left to right with a sealant of some sort across the top of the channel and maybe behind it as well.  I have not experienced any water leaks when I have had the window slightly open during a gentle rain.  Have not tried it with a heavier rain.
    You might query NuCamp about this.

Thanks @falcon1970 .  I have been communicating with the nice NuCamp folks today (they are incredibly responsive!), and the window is not supposed to be leaking like that.  Unfortunately yet another repair is in the future.  For now, I’ll try a temporary fix with a bead of silicone per NuCamp.  Your structure looks just like mine, but obviously something’s not right.
    @TNOutback
    Let us know if a bead of silicon seal fixes the problem.
    BTW, is there not sealant of some sort along that aluminum channel now?
    @falcon1970 apparently there is some kind of gasket or seal within that channel - or at least there is supposed to be per NuCamp.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, @Sharon_is_SAM .  In my case, the caulking between the camper and the window mount appears to be really good, sound. Somehow the water is leaking through the T slot channel that the window slides into.  I also noticed that I have no caulk/sealant on the sides of mine, unlike the photo that @falcon1970 posted.

@falcon1970 you mentioned in an earlier post that with the window open the rain sheds over the “bump” and down the window.  While applying “rain” with the garden hose, I have observed the water runs over the upper lip and down in behind the window; it does not shed over the outside of the window.

edited June 2020
    @TNOutback
    It appears that your "hinge/bracket" is different than mine for some reason.  In your picture you show a flexible weatherstrip at the top of the window.  And it appears as though it might be pulled out in the middle so it does not rest in the channel but rather outside of it.  If so, then it Ian't keeping the water in the channel to run to one side but lets it flow into the open window.  Mine does not have this flexible weatherstripping but instead has a hard piece of plastic that appears to be part of the molded window.
    It looks like there are some other design differences also.

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    There Is a gasket themgoes around the window opening and seals the window when the latches are properly dogged down.  Check around this seal when the window is closed to find any gaps, that the raid could have come in through.  The top window hinge is above the gasket, so it is not the source of water 
    entry.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    edited July 2020
    Update:  After hearing back from NuCamp on a “quick fix”, I put a thin bead of clear silicone along the length of the lower aluminum seam.  No more leaks!
    Good, glad you got it sorted.
    cheers
  • gregtipton19_gregtipton19_ Member Posts: 23
    I had the same issue under the same circumstance. Just one of many issues I've had with my 2020 TAB. 
  • ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    TNOutback said:
    Update:  After hearing back from NuCamp on a “quick fix”, I put a thin bead of clear silicone along the length of the lower aluminum seam.  No more leaks!
    If you get a chance can you post a picture of where you put the silicone?
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
    @ecstatic, see the crude red arrow I drew on the photo.  I put a small bead of silicone on the lower seam where that bent “T” shaped window mount fits into the slot/channel. I then smoothed it out with my finger along that seam.
    edited July 2020
    I would put the silicone in the hole at the end of the rubber seal under the track.  Any water getting in this track is just going to drain out the ends, and probably ran down into the hole in the rubber gasket, or under it, getting into the camper.
    The window T Slot is outside the trailer and drains out the ends.  I would remove the window from the T Slot track, and check to screws to make sure they are sealed also.

I think nuCamp was advising caulking the top of the window track assembly, above the inside T Track.  However, a proper repair, is to completely remove the top window track assembly, clean both the track and camper surface, and reinstall with the seal tape and caulk.  Adding additional caulk outside the top of the track is just a bandaid, not a proper repair of the issue.  I would be contacting your dealer and nuCamp Warranty to get this done correctly.
    Cheers
    @Denny16, yes this was a temporary repair, advised by NuCamp.
    Good, hope you get it sorted properly.
    cheers
  • Boomerb77Boomerb77 Member Posts: 17
    Today was first rain on my 1 week old 400 and had same exact water problem with window open about 2 inches.
    2021 400 BD / 2020  F-150, 3.5L EcoBoost / NE Ohio
  • gregtipton19_gregtipton19_ Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2020
    People are offering all sorts of fixes which is fine, but I still maintain there is no excuse for a faulty window like this especially with the price of these nuCamp units. I believe that they are just unable to engineer and build to the specs of a curved window. Had the same issue with the rear curved stargazer window on my Lance 1995. It was not right out of the factory. 
    edited August 2020
    All good and well, but nuCamp does not make the windows, and have no control over window manufacturing issues, but they have gone out oftheir way, to fix and replace any faulty windows.  Got my front window replaced on a 2018 this year, well past the initial 1-year warranty period.  

As for a sealed seam issue, this could be down to several issues.  I agree during manufacturing, more care should go into the window installation, to make sure surfaces are clean and dry when applying the sealing tape.  But heat and humid an affect how this stuff reacts when put down.  It just takes a little low spot in the seam to create a leak.
    cheers
    Update. With window closed, no water comes in. But, the water is accumulating above the black rubber seal and as soon as you open the window it floods in. NuCamp said contact your dealer!
    That is because the either seal between the window top aluminum track and the trailer has failed, and water is collecting below it on the rubber gasket seal, or it is getting in from the side.  Time to go see your dealer...  B)
    cheers
    Boomerb77 said:
    Today was first rain on my 1 week old 400 and had same exact water problem with window open about 2 inches.
    @Boomerb77 a quick and easy temporary fix is running a bead of clear silicone caulk along the lower seam of the T-track, then smoothing it out with your finger.  Completely stopped my leak until I can get it in for repair.
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    Boomerb77 said:
    Update. With window closed, no water comes in. But, the water is accumulating above the black rubber seal and as soon as you open the window it floods in. NuCamp said contact your dealer!
    I found I could mitigate this to some degree by making sure the black seal is pushed all the way up against the window frame.  Mine had some low spots that allowed water to pool, then enter the cabin when the window was opened.  I used a rubber mallet to get the seal well raised into the upper window opening.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
     I am convinced the water comes in from the side / top and pools in low spots toward the middle  along the top seal. Pushing the seal upward as you suggest to make sure the center is the high point with slope down to sides seems to do the trick; have not had any rain water coming in even after some very hard rain storms over last 4 days. Thanks for that insight.
     Good, glad you got it sorted.
    cheers 
  • DonaDona Member Posts: 35
    @TNOutback thank you so much for this post and photos.  We bought a 2019 Tab 400 and on a gently raining day (no wind) I had the front window in the locked vent position.  Water streamed down the wall and soaked my dinette cushion.  I latched the window and the leak stopped.

you say you did a temporary repair, and I’m wondering if you did a permanent repair at some point, and what did that entail?  Hoping to avoid taking it to our RV place if I can fix it myself.  Thanks!
    Dona & Ben / 2019 T@B 400, no solar, 2008 Tundra / Boise
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 190
    Rather than wait for the next rain to see if a leak is repaired; simply do a water test. Use a hose and gently let water flow over the suspected area. In this case a water test would probably have revealed the source as well as confirming if properly repaired.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON