Options

Where to purchase Power Watchdog surge module?

We are purchasing the Power Watchdog 30 amp Surge Protector + EPO /Auto Shutoff. We want to buy the replaceable surge module to have on hand should ours be taken out. Seems like a good extra part to keep on hand. 
I can’t seem to find a place to purchase just the surge module for the 30 amp. Hughes Autoformers website has them but they are out of stock. I don’t find it on Amazon. 
Does anyone have a suggestion for where to purchase just the $30.00 replacement module? 
Thanks
mae
2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Give Princess Craft RV in Round Rock TX a call.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 262
    Thank you! Would not have thought of that. 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I would like to expand this topic as I can't find recent discussions on this surge protector. From the reviews I've seen this is as capable as the Progressive Industries that people here really like. I plan to wire it into the trailer and allow the Bluetooth to alert me of any issues. For anyone using this do you rate it well? The Hughes if you get the EPO shuts off power, protects to 2400 Joules and does all the other line condition checks Progressive does so what am I missing? Oh yes and what started this topic, if a surge requires a sacrifice of the protection, the specific module is replaceable, not the whole device.  Also wiring it into the trailer eliminates the theft issue which seems to worry people.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 262
    We like the fact that it has good reviews and  also that it has the replacement module. Makes so much sense to replace a part rather than the whole unit. 
    FYI- I did get through to  Hughes Autoformers and she told me they will have more replacement modules for the PWD30-EPO later this month. She also told me Hughes is the only place to get the replacement module. Seems like another good reason to have one on hand in case of lightening. 
    xdr
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @xdr
    This is a timely topic for me as well... As I just purchased the same watchdog unit, and tried to purchase the lightning suppressor as a spare and couldn't because they were out of stock. My unit is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I plan on installing it on Saturday. I chose this over the more commonly chosen progressive model, because of the replaceable surge module, as well as the Bluetooth connectivity for monitoring status. I'm really looking forward to getting it installed!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I think the Surge Guard may have slightly better options but what sells me on this is I don't want another display in the trailer nor the hassle of digging the device out and looking at the failure code. Just check the Bluetooth app and in the rare case a bad surge burns out the protection, slip in a replacement (essentially) a fuse. I think this new device has only been around for a year or so. (edit) added a pic of the location)
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 756
    On the Hughes Autoformer website they claim:

SPECIAL BONUS OFFER – If your surge module is ‘used up’ within the first 2 years of purchase, Hughes Autoformers will mail you one FREE replacement.
     (One free replacement offer only within the first 2 years of purchase. Proof of purchase required, proof of used up surge module also required)

I'm not sure what they mean by "used up."  Protecting one surge will use it up.  And How would you show them proof that the surge module was "used up?"
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @falcon1970, the reference to "used up" may be a reference to the bank of metal oxide varistors ("MOVs") contained within surge protectors and electronic management systems.  These are what determine how many joules of protection a surge protector provides.  They are basically the sacrificial lambs of the system.  If you only have a minor surge, you may lose one MOV.  Bigger hits could destroy more.  They are what protect your appliances and other electrical equipment when there is a power spike/surge.  I can't answer how you are supposed to know when they are "used up," but you can always pose that question to the manufacturer, or maybe do some Google searches on the subject.  The below link provides an overview of how they work: 

https://www.rvtravel.com/surges-and-joules-and-movs-oh-my/
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    @Bayliss
    Thanks, I had overlooked the fact that not all MOVs would be overdriven if there was just a small surge.  However, every time you lose an MOV you also lose some surge clamping ability, no?  If you lose an MOV or two, or more you would no longer have a 1200 joule (which isn't all that much anyway) clamping ability but something less.  But you don't know how much less.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @falcon1970, you are correct on that, which is why it helps to buy a surge protector with an adequate amount of joules (protection.)  I have the Progressive Industries EMS hard-wired in my trailer.  I believe it would shut down the power before most minor surges would destroy a MOV, which is why it is nice to have a good EMS.  If a major power surge goy through, those MOVs would save the day.  It appears that most EMS have an error code or light that tells you when you need to repair or replace it if that were to occur.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    @Bayliss
    I also have the Progressive Industries unit but mine is the portable unit.  I bought Progressive Industries because it did seem like it would cut power before a surge could do any damage to either the trailer or the EMS.
  • Options
    PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34
    We have a 2022 T@B 320-S Boondock. Has anyone installed the Hughes 30amp EMS in this or a similar Teardrop? If so, where did you mount it, this unit is BIG!

Thanks!

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

• Options
    Roamy400Roamy400 Member Posts: 19
    We have a T@B 400 Solo and mounted it under the bed along the drivers side of the camper. Installed both transformer and watchdog.
    2020 T@B 400 Solo (Roamy)/ 2008 Tundra Limited / Nashport, Ohio
  • Options
    PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34
    Roamy400 said:
    We have a T@B 400 Solo and mounted it under the bed along the drivers side of the camper. Installed both transformer and watchdog.
    Thanks for this information though there is a whole lot more room in the 400 than there is in the 320!

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

• Options
    I sent the pic out privately but after seeing these other installs for what it's worth here's mine. Note that I had a water leak and while repairing that I cleaned up some routing, but the Watchdog had already been mounted. It was simple and plenty of room. The most difficult part was having to rewire the 120V as the original length was not long enough. Note that I used solid wire and if I did it again, I'd change to stranded wire.  No it doesn't hum....
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited July 2022
    On the Hughes Autoformer website they claim:

SPECIAL BONUS OFFER – If your surge module is ‘used up’ within the first 2 years of purchase, Hughes Autoformers will mail you one FREE replacement.
     (One free replacement offer only within the first 2 years of purchase. Proof of purchase required, proof of used up surge module also required)

I'm not sure what they mean by "used up."  Protecting one surge will use it up.  And How would you show them proof that the surge module was "used up?"
    Why I have always used Progressive. Lifetime warranty. In twelve years I've never had a problem with failure but my friend's got zapped after four years and he had a replacement in a few days.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    This question of when to replace (either whole unit or module) after a line surge is a good one, presumably each unit records a major protection event and sets a warning. With an installed system I like the out of sight out of mind aspect: no thievery and biggest reason no displays to show useless information 99.9% of the time.  Does anyone know how each unit displays a "used up" or "time for new unit" condition?
  • Options
    hustoncshustoncs Member Posts: 18
    @xdr Get it on Amazon best price I've found. But if you find another product that is an EMS then go for it.

This device has worked well for us on two occasions at the same campground that had power problems. It protected our trailer, so an EMS and not a simple surge protector is the way to go Cheers
    2001 Toyota Sequoia || 2022 Tab 400 Boondock