Use of Air Shocks on Your TV

AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
Anyone replaced rear shocks on your TV with air shocks? Did it make a difference in your ride while towing? Fairly certain the shocks on my TV are OEM so they may be overdue for replacement. Rides fairly decent when towing but do notice a little porpoising when the road gets the whoop-de-doo's. May look at springs, too. That's part of the equation when they are constantly loading and unloading.  

Is it worth the $$$ to consider air vs. gas?  
2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
San Diego, CA
www.airbossone.com
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    AirBoss said:
    Anyone replaced rear shocks on your TV with air shocks? Did it make a difference in your ride while towing? Fairly certain the shocks on my TV are OEM so they may be overdue for replacement. Rides fairly decent when towing but do notice a little porpoising when the road gets the whoop-de-doo's. May look at springs, too. That's part of the equation when they are constantly loading and unloading.  

I haven't replaced, but my Grand Cherokee has an air suspension that is self-leveling and I absolutely love it. Smooth ride.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @jkjenn
    Thanks. Yeah, the 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 I have has an awesome system (darn thing even squats when you turn it off so you can get out more easily...sheesh), but unfortunately, towing the 400 behind it is too taxing. It adjusted automatically when I did hook up the 400 (freaked out the dealer!) and towed the empty 400 OK, but I'd not take it far. It's 3500#/350# limits are just not sufficient, tho. 

I'm leaning toward air adjustable. 

Thanks again! 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    edited June 2020
    AirBoss said:

That's debatable... if the OEM shocks are original then simply going to a better quality gas shock and updating the springs will make an enormous difference. How much do you want to invest in a 16 year old TV? Bang for the buck it's hard to beat a nice set of Bilsteins. https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=3855&selected_year=2004&type=T&selected_make=Chevrolet&model_name=Tahoe+4+door+4WD
    Air shocks are really great....but servicing or replacing them when they fail is very expensive, and as you can see in the link, installing good ones costs some really big bucks. 
    @tabiphile, thanks for chiming in. Appreciate the link as well.

The TV is in outstanding condition and I don't have any issues with investing some reasonable amount of $$$ to keep it so. Shop I've been go to for years was a bit amazed at its condition at under 150K with Mx records. May have gotten lucky there...for a change! Time will tell but I do plan on towing with it for quite some time.

Also considering a WDH but can't say I'm convinced it's needed. I keep it under 60mph and it tows really well. Just looking to smooth out the ride a bit and dampen the minimal porpoising effect when running into "the bridge effect." 

I am pretty careful when it comes to loading the TV and 400 and she rides nicely level when loaded.  

Thanks again for the feedback. Always appreciate hearing it. 

Cheers, 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    No, but I added airlifts inside the springs of our Sienna van.  When inflated to 30psi they keep the rear from sagging an inch, plus it handles better on turns.  See here..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/117844#Comment_117844

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    I'm with BrianZ. Airbags stuffed inside the coil springs are easier, less expensive and offer more lift control than air shocks due to their larger surface area. I'm not a big fan of gas shocks as they ride harshly when cold. Airshocks also ride harder due to the requirement for a minimum residual pressure when unloaded. Give me a good hydraulic shock any day over nitrogen shocks. They just ride better IMHO.

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @AirBoss ; We looked at springs to correct the inch of squat we got towing, but went with adjustable spring perches under the existing springs instead.  We liked the ride better when not towing, and now we're flat when pulling.  Another option depending on your suspension setup.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I had Firestone Air Bags on my 2015 Tacoma to correct the squat. They worked very well. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thanks all. Perhaps I'm over-doing it but I'm looking at new shocks, struts and rear coils (maybe bags, thanks @Verna)on the TV (which are likely OEM and need replacement anyway), then see how it does. It's not a bad ride at all with or without the 400, but it does have a slight tendency to porpoise a little bit under certain road conditions. Nothing bad, but worth investigating how to reduce or eliminate.  

After that, I may look at the Anderson WDH system. Looks like a nice option which doesn't add much weight and once installed is fairly easy to engage/disengage. 

Really appreciate the feedback!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    AirBoss said:
    Thanks all. Perhaps I'm over-doing it but I'm looking at new shocks, struts and rear coils
    Not really...with 150,000 miles on the OEM original parts you are well past due. You should actually be seeing some signs of uneven wear on tires. The porposing that you feel towing is actually happening all the time as the worn dampers struggle to keep up and absorb the shock from traveling over rough roads. The Tahoe is a pretty heavy beast. 
    You can see what's happening if you want to. Have someone drive your Tahoe over a rough stretch of road while you follow or ride alongside. Observe what the wheels are doing. They will probably be noticeably bouncing up and down as the shocks try to dampen. Shocks, struts springs and strut mount bearings should get routinely replaced when your vehicle achieves higher mileages. Consider it to be routine maintenance. Most vehicle owners don't deal with this since not many of them run as many miles. When you find a good one, keep it in good shape. A few parts are certainly cheaper than a car payment or new vehicle. 
    @tabiphile
    Thanks for the input and agree with your points. I suppose when I said "over doing it" I meant by considering adding the WDH to the line up. Belt and suspenders approach... 

My plan is to do the suspension (Bilstein 5100 shocks all around, new Bilstein rear coils (possibly air bags), alignment, etc.) first. I feel it's needed and will pay dividends regardless of whether I'm towing or not. I'm not looking to add ride height necessarily but it may be a function of the new suspension by an inch or two. 

Had tires replaced (Michelin Agilis Cross Climate - Load Range E) couple months ago. Replaced set looked fairly even on the wear but were down to the point I could see almost all of George Washington's head on the quarter. By doing suspension and alignment now I'll hopefully get the full wear out the Michelin's. 

If I'm still not happy then I'll look into the Anderson WDH. That's a T@B-related expense vs. the suspension which I atribute as you say to proper maintenance. Always believed that if you start with a good rig and take good care of it, it will take good care of you.

And yes...got a screamin' deal on the Tahoe and had already allocated $XXXX.XX to upgrade running gear, stereo/navigation (I'm a old rocker so tunes are critical!), etc. Sure beats making payments and higher insurance rates! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com