Preventing Accidental Showers . . .

TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
edited June 2020 in Tips & Tricks
The unseasonably cool June temps allowed us the opportunity to camp for the first time this year, and the opportunity to again get 2 previously unscheduled showers in the bathroom!  (In our 2020 T@B 400, the shower control handle is in a prime position for being accidentally bumped on while in the bathroom doing other business.)  I’m now thinking about some kind of mod that will either cover the shower control or bungee it (maybe) to keep from turning it on accidentally.  We try to keep the shower wand always pointed at the wall for just this reason, but one shower came when my shirt sleeve caught the handle while brushing my teeth, turning on the shower full blast.  I got soaked even though the wand was pointed at the wall.  Needless to say, I wasn’t looking for a shower while brushing my teeth.   Looking for ideas . . .

Comments

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    On our 320 there is a button on the wand besides the water knob.  The 400 doesn't have that?  Maybe look into getting a wand with a button for extra protection?

Or rubber band a baggie over the wand to give you enough time to turn it back off.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    edited June 2020
    We installed this additional control before the shower hose.  You need to temporarily remove its handle to install it.  No more cold showers!
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    I dunno...I kinda like a brief passing shower... =)
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    rh5555 said:
    We installed this additional control before the shower hose.  You need to temporarily remove its handle to install it.  No more cold showers!

Thanks, this is a great idea! Between my wife and I we have "washed the shelves" in the bathroom no less than 5 times in the 3 times we have used our camper. Took all of 5 minutes to install and most of that was to round up a couple of tools.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Thanks for the idea, @rh5555. I ordered the part and now have the “insurance valve” installed.  Yes, needed to unscrew and remove the little plastic lever on the valve to get it screwed on.  A very easy mod, and another testament to the value of this forum!

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    And a +1 from me (on both the Forum and the valve). Bought and installed the same valve. It's a great solution to the unexpected shower syndrome!!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    On our 320 there is a button on the wand besides the water knob.  The 400 doesn't have that?  Maybe look into getting a wand with a button for extra protection?

Or rubber band a baggie over the wand to give you enough time to turn it back off.
    Yes, our 2018 Tab 400 has the in wand button control valve, works great.
    We never had an issue with an accidental shower either.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited September 2020
    We added shutoff valves like these onto our previous camper shower hoses and highly recommend them.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    I've caught a shirt sleeve on that thing probably two dozen times, drives me nuts. The wand should really have the button that previous models had, as then you don't have to adjust temp/pressure every time you need to actuate the water for rinsing, etc. Pretty inane implementation, for an RV.
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I kept my Oxygenics Fury handheld shower head just for this reason. I know the Fury saves a lot of water and I don’t have to adjust the water temp between shut-offs. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    Choices, choices: $50 for a replacement shower head or $10 for the in-line valve...  I like the in-line valve because you can adjust the flow from high to medium to low to off without touching the temperature.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @rh5555, knock on wood.....going on almost 6 years on the Oxygenics Fury. It has paid for itself by giving me one more shower and one more dish washing on the gray water tank before having to empty. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2020
    +1 here too.  I saw some couple on YouTube compare a half dozen or more showerheads for both gallons per minute, as well as how high they would shoot water from the floor of their wet bath.  Some only would spray up a foot, others hit the RV bath ceiling.  Based on their testing I went with this 1.5gpm head:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RGXM6X

... with this cutoff valve at the base of the showerhead...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTVBPMF

...for accident prevention and temperature control. A little Teflon tape was required.  The showerhead fit fine in the stock NüCamp showerhead holder thing which was another plus. A zillion times better than the stock shower experience.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max