Options

Observations on my new 320S BD 2021 - Finally took delivery!

MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
Apache in Everett WA was great with set up and details (so far). We found 3 thing that have been talked about on this forum that need work: 1) The rear Exo-skeleton cage was not finished at all and had significant scrapes on it. Our expectation was to look similar to the front platform, this is hopefully being discussed w/ NuCamp. 2) Lack of a stove cover was explained that NuCamp was no longer supplying this on 2021 models! We took exception since reading this forum gave no indication this was happening and without this there is no good prep area. They were to discuss this with NuCamp further. 3) The bath door hitting the ceiling was noted and scrapping the top was considered a design flaw and a fix was expected. We have temporarily slit clear plastic tubing and placed over the top of the door - looks reasonably okay. We checked the AC mounting and it looks like the bracket may constrain the AC - we'll see. Humorously when asking the technician on winterizing options we mentioned about using the camper but without water use and he said not to worry about water freezing if we were camping with the heater on while in the mountains the new tank layout was better. I'm not sure I believe him...

Anyway we finally have it! I and my wife are planning soon to retire and hike / kayak and generally explore the US.

New to trailering so the camper is in our driveway w/ Alde and refrig ON. I'm monitoring how well the solar array manages the refrig in partial sunshine.  Sitting in the trailer making a list of needed cooking/eating "stuff" and necessary tools.  This is being helped tremendously by my lurking on the forum since January (right before Covid shut things down). We'd asked for delayed delivery for mid spring - well mid June? Anyway we're excited and waiting for our first trip next weekend, this weekend we're driveway camping to get it setup.

The only upgrade was to replace the standard group battery 24 with 2 AGM 6V as I had no confidence the standard battery would work for multiple days drycamped. I had hoped to have the SureShunt on but the product is backordered 'til late summer.  Fortunately the solar controller has BT monitoring that helps in the meantime. Reading the Victron MPPT manual I found that I can set up a charging network to optimize multiple chargers and battery conditions. We also had NuCamp leave off the designs as we have plans to add our own custom ones.
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Welcome to the Family.  320S is a great product.

Am also an Apache of Everett customer.  Found them to be open about issues/communication with NüCamp and felt they really cared that I was happy/OK/satisfied with purchase.

Do agree, don't trust what service guy said about freezing conditions.  Believe there have been no changes on Alde plumbing which would heat the fresh/gray tanks.  With a cassette toilet the black "tank" is within the greater cabin space but gosh the bathroom gets really cold at night with low Alde heat setting and door closed - - - I frequently keep door open  just to warm the seat a bit - - -
    Side note:
    My service tech walk about was completed by a High Schooler (which is fine) and he did have a couple mishaps . . . had water system valves wrong so Hot Water was flushing the toilet.  And he instructed me to twist the safety chains, no thanks I know better.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    We also got our 2021 TAB 320 Boondock from Apache. Took delivery in Portland. Excellent orientation, but we were also told to twist chains to keep them off the pavement. Not a good idea?
  • Options
    Our tech took the time to adjust the length so no twisting was required. 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    BywaysNW said:
    . . .  were also told to twist chains to keep them off the pavement. Not a good idea?
    Correct twisting safety chains reduces strength.
    Might be discussed in other forum threads.  Some past discussion on Facebook group. Several YouTube videos showing how much it does reduce strength.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    BywaysNW said:
    We also got our 2021 TAB 320 Boondock from Apache. Took delivery in Portland. Excellent orientation, but we were also told to twist chains to keep them off the pavement. Not a good idea?
    Do a search on the forum for “Purdue”, as they have a very good article on towing do’s and don’t.  And they will tell you that twisting chains is a big no-no. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Congats and welcone @MarkAl!

Scott Hubble, CEO of nuCamp, recently mentioned on an interview with Truck Camper that the only part that have had serious supply issues with was the glass top covers for the stoves. I took delivery of a 2p21 T@b 320 Boondock yesterday and it was also missing. Email warranty @nucamprv.com and ask them how you can obtain one.

I am guessing your bathroom door could have cone out of alignment during shipping. I am sorry that happened and expect that is something that is an easy adjustment by your dealer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Our dealer is swamped with new trailer prep and orientation, from comments between people there I think they are trying to cope but with some lifting of Covid restrictions it's a madhouse there.
    - Good to know the door may be fixable with an alignment. The slit plastic tubing is doing a good job for the moment. Does sound like NuCamp could reduce the door height a bit to eliminate the issue.
    - I expected the stove top being missing but being told they weren't supplying the tops was a surprise. I found it's really tough to food prep without the top to work on. But I'll let our dealer manage the original issues.  So far they seem competent and concerned for our satisfaction - just very busy.
    - How was the finish on the new rear frame? Seems reasonable to expect it to look similar to the front's finish.

Congrats on the new trailer, I've appreciated your sage advice, hope to hear more.
  • Options
    AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    I have the same camper also, nucamp shipped me the bathroom door fix, a strap - but i wanted directions - exact location to attach it to before i put a hole in the door and wall.
    I also was emailed the instructions for the ac fox, when you tow the trailer the ac unit moves forward, so im just waiting on the parts to arrive, looks like a good simple fox.
    I love my trailer other than these small silly problems.
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The strap is the same on the as on the 400’s closet. It works very well. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Good to know there's a strap - my plastic tubing fix looks okay but the strap could be cleaner looking. Does anybody have a picture of how the strap looks both open and closed?

Was glad to see the solar array even on a cloudy drizzly day keeps the batteries charged (once the refrig was at temp)  had trouble yesterday when I first turned it on. Also made ice overnight, the tray is cute but not real functional. Being a total newbie I'll need to learn a lot most of our camping will be dry and I don't want to leave a suitcase array to supplement the roof array if possible while we go exploring.

I'm pretty sure one of my first mods will be to add the little side door for access by the passenger side wheel well storage. Removing this totally surprised me, that area is great for the hose/cord and leveling gear. I'm not a great woodworker and I doubt it'll look as good as NuCamp would have done. Lifting the seat is not a long term solution. But I'm liking the new latches, I'll need to order one from them I guess.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    If you are not confident in your ability to add the door, get it done by a trailer place or a friend who has the skills.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I took a pic of my (maybe) temporary solution to bath door scuffing the ceiling. I like the strap idea better but waiting to see what it looks like. The tubing is 1/2 inch long term I'll probably tack or glue it.  I I keep it I may cut it longer to cover the whole top length...
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    @MarkAl - Another WA t@bber!  Welcome.  Unfortunately this year's F@llJ@m at Fort Worden/Port Townsend was cancelled.  Hope to meet up with you next year (there or in May at East Meets West)... praying COVID is under control and we can meet together once again.  Have fun on your t@bventures!!!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    Since the new door has a hinge, could you get a hinge pin door stop like this?

2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent