Options

Do we have to de-winterize?

ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
Our dealer, Missouri Teardrop, winterized us last October. If we don’t have a shower or need hot water, do we really have to dewinterize? Can we just use the fresh water tank? Can we hook it up to a water connection? And I realize we will still need to winterize again but I assume just blowing out the water. Thanks! 
2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @ColleenD2, it depends on how they winterized.  If they just drained and blew out the lines, then added antifreeze to the sink trap, if you want to use the plumbing and fresh water tank, you should sanitize the tank and plumbing (and isolate the Alde when you sanitize).  I would call and find out what they did.  Did they put antifreeze in the Alde?  If they used the fresh water tank to pump antifreeze throughout the plumbing, then to use the fresh water tank you need to flush out the antifreeze.  In this case, if you wanted to hook up to city water and flush out the lines, I still think you will want to sanitize the plumbing.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    He blew out the lines and added antifreeze only down the sink.

• Options
    I think I get it now. Thank you!

• Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    de-winterizing is really pretty simple and should offer peace of mind if you do want to use hot water etc later on.  Sanitizing is well worth the time if you consider the potential down side.  I agree you don't 'have to', but I would. 
    2016 cs-s max
  • Options
    Thank you. The biggest challenge is we live in a high rise apartment and store in a storage lot so access to water is challenging. Most of the Missouri state Parks don’t have water at each site but I was able to book one for August so we will give it a go. 

• Options
    You have the right idea @ColleenD2.  The first time we dewinterized/sanitized, we did it at a place with full hook ups.  You need a friend with a house and a spigot!
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    I have a related question and hope you don’t mind if I ask here 

I have a little guy 6 wide I won’t use it  this year because we will use just our T@B 

Back to the thread question 

Do I have to de-wintetize the six wide or can I keep the anti freeze in the tank until 2021?

• Options
    The antifreeze left in the tank is fine, but do you know how long it will offer freeze protection?
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    lino said:
    I have a related question and hope you don’t mind if I ask here 

I have a little guy 6 wide I won’t use it  this year because we will use just our T@B 

Back to the thread question 

Do I have to de-wintetize the six wide or can I keep the anti freeze in the tank until 2021?

The antifreeze should be fine.  If you have a wet cell battery I would check the fluid level and top it off with some distilled water.  I would also keep the vent cracked a tad too to maintain some air circulation inside the trailer.  If you don’t have a vent cover just make sure you secure the vent handle as wind will hit the cover and can create enough force to raise the vent cover and allow rain to enter the trailer.  I would also check the tire inflation and protect the tires from sunlight if possible.  Spray some WD-40 on the stabilizer mechanism too and the hitch, etc.  I use battery tenders on my batteries for my boat and lawn tractor too and keep the trailer battery charged up and disconnected from the trailer circuits when it is sitting idle too. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    Thanks Mike and Sharon 
    I do the maintenance you suggested ona regular basis and had always been garage stored 
    Good to know I can keep antifreeze in

This is really disappointing to me because we’re going to Not camp much at all this year and for the couple times I get out I think I’m gonna leave the little guy at home.
    This will be the first time in six years I have not used the little guy